Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 31

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 10:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:12) correct 65% (01:23) wrong based on 263 sessions
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by WaterFlowsUp on 13 Jan 2014, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1227
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 11:11
Vineetk wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A



I'm not so sure of the OA. It is just repeating what is already given in the argument. I think C would make a better answer choice.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 31

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 20:53
MacFauz wrote:
Vineetk wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A



I'm not so sure of the OA. It is just repeating what is already given in the argument. I think C would make a better answer choice.


Even I picked C. But the explanation for C not being the right answer is that it fails to provide any reason why regulation of marijuana does not make sense.. A is correct answer because argument states that regulation of alcohol makes no sense and Choice A provides the same effect as marijuana.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 238
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 137 [1] , given: 63

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 21:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
OA is right. The problem here is there is an inconsistent law on one side we have

Marijuana >> is related to crime

Alcohol >>> could lead to crime but no law for this ( if you add A to this then it fills a gap)

The main question to answer is, why the law on marijuana should be removed and why this law doesn't make sense? only A does that, cos its providing an additional assumption, which supports and answers the question. (if you go by their framework its method number 2 to strengthen an argument)
I would also think of this question as, it strengthens one side and weakens the other...

If you look carefully at C, it doesn't answer the question.

Last edited by nelz007 on 05 Dec 2012, 04:13, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Pill Representative
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 346
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 03:37
Hi,

I agree with Nelz.

'C' provides a DIFFERENT reason for not banning Cannabis. So whilst it would provide support to an overall movement to not ban Cannabis, it says nothing about the actual argument being made in the question that both Alcohol and Cannabis have the same effects so should be treated the same.

A tricky one...

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 03:18
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Nelz.

'C' provides a DIFFERENT reason for not banning Cannabis. So whilst it would provide support to an overall movement to not ban Cannabis, it says nothing about the actual argument being made in the question that both Alcohol and Cannabis have the same effects so should be treated the same.

A tricky one...

James


Hello James,

One doubt, Isnt A a restatement of a premise? the 3 line in the argument says " But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands" so we already know OH indirectly causes crimes, then how can Option A strengthen the Argument?

Cheers
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1600
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [2] , given: 6

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Jp27 wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Nelz.

'C' provides a DIFFERENT reason for not banning Cannabis. So whilst it would provide support to an overall movement to not ban Cannabis, it says nothing about the actual argument being made in the question that both Alcohol and Cannabis have the same effects so should be treated the same.

A tricky one...

James


Hello James,

One doubt, Isnt A a restatement of a premise? the 3 line in the argument says " But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands" so we already know OH indirectly causes crimes, then how can Option A strengthen the Argument?

Cheers



Hi Jp27,

Here's the difference:

The passage merely SUGGESTS that alcohol CAN lead to abuse:

"But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands"

Answer choice (A) actually tells you to consider the possibility that that statement is ACTUALLY true.

So the difference is the passage only suggested that it COULD be true. Whereas (A) suggested that it ACTUALLY IS true.

Remember the question: "Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?"

Clearly, we don't know that (A) is true based on the passage. But we are asked to consider - WHAT IF (A) were ACTUALLY true.

If we knew for a fact that alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime - then this supporting point is no longer just a guess. There is actual backing to this statement. That's one way to SUPPORT the argument above.

Hope that helps.

Here's the original question along with a video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1314
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:27
gmatpill wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Nelz.

'C' provides a DIFFERENT reason for not banning Cannabis. So whilst it would provide support to an overall movement to not ban Cannabis, it says nothing about the actual argument being made in the question that both Alcohol and Cannabis have the same effects so should be treated the same.

A tricky one...

James


Hello James,

One doubt, Isnt A a restatement of a premise? the 3 line in the argument says " But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands" so we already know OH indirectly causes crimes, then how can Option A strengthen the Argument?

Cheers



Hi Jp27,

Here's the difference:

The passage merely SUGGESTS that alcohol CAN lead to abuse:

"But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands"

Answer choice (A) actually tells you to consider the possibility that that statement is ACTUALLY true.

So the difference is the passage only suggested that it COULD be true. Whereas (A) suggested that it ACTUALLY IS true.

Remember the question: "Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?"

Clearly, we don't know that (A) is true based on the passage. But we are asked to consider - WHAT IF (A) were ACTUALLY true.

If we knew for a fact that alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime - then this supporting point is no longer just a guess. There is actual backing to this statement. That's one way to SUPPORT the argument above.

Hope that helps.

Here's the original question along with a video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1314


yes that helps. Very subtle diff, A makes sense now. Good Q.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 10:48
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime - The argument is about Marijuana
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol - We are not comparing benefits of A vs B
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime - Correct
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable - This is out of context
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it - Out of context

The argument talks about a section of the society opposing Marijuana. The support for this argument comes from how Alcohol can also lead to problems if it is in wrong hands. I guess the answer would be something which tells us that Marijuana by itself cannot cause any change in behavior, especially making one inclined towards violence. Hence C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 99
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 22:59
Vineetk wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A



Straigthtforward
The answer is C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 99
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 23:00
Vineetk wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A



Straigthtforward
The answer is C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Time to apply!
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 166

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 05:30
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A)Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime
(B)The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol
(C)The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime
(D)The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable
(E)Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it
_________________

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!


Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 Aug 2013, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 16:10
OA says that both alcohol and marijuana should be regulated not only marijuana.I disagree with OA.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 20:49
1. The purpose of regulation marijuana - restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. 2. Campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime.
3. Even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous.

CONCLUSION.- Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime....prospect..answer.......so far only known that it can cause violence... now confirmed that it does yet not banned....
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol...SOUNDS OK..but is'nt....we are not concerned with things other than violence and abuse.... just as being ingrained in people's social life gives reasoning for not banning alcohol, so does this reason to marijuana .
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.....sort of activity not important.....
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.that we will see later
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it...so what....does it affect the fact that...regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 128
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 19:54
Vineetk wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime.
(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol.
(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime.
(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable.
(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A


This question highlights the fine difference between the usage of 'has' and 'can'
From the passage : But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; 'can' implying possibility and not the fact.
(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime. usage of 'has been' confirms that above statement is a fact.

Once A comes into the picture the analogy is drawn is completed.
We can notice that 65% of ppl chose ans choice 'C'. why is it so ?? :)
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2013
Posts: 78
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 23:28
Facts:
Set #1:
Regulation was made for two reasons:
1. To reduce the number of people consuming “habit-forming drug".
2. To lower the incidence of violent crimes.

Set #2:
Alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands (conditioned)
Alcohol is ingrained in people's social life today.
Sub-conclusion: prohibiting alcohol would be preposterous.

Main Conclusion is more specific about the regulation of marijuana (a habit-forming drug)

Though option A would be a support to prohibit Alcohol too (sub conclusion), it would not lead to the main conclusion: regulation of marijuana makes no sense. Moreover, option A is actually neutralizing the condition of fact 1 of set #1 to strengthen the sub-conclusion.

Main conclusion is precisely about the regulation of habit forming drug category and it is not clear from the argument whether alcohol comes into this category or not.

If the conclusion were to ban Alcohol or Marijuana, yes option A would be a right bet.


Option C creates a doubt on the outcome for which the regulation was actually formed ( Fact 2 of Set #1)
Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2014, 23:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis Practicegmat 0 23 Aug 2013, 05:30
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to BukrsGmat 8 06 Dec 2012, 19:55
CR Question - Marijuana! soxy_topacio 10 09 Mar 2007, 13:43
1 Statement of Purpose Mick06 2 21 Sep 2005, 16:29
marijuana thing Dan 10 06 Jul 2005, 05:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.