Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 01:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.

B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.

C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.

D. Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains.

E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 06:33
This is a real tricky one, both B & C are very close.

Yet, I would go for option C.

Option B - The passage never states that measurement of acidity is the only factor of determining quality of unrefined olive oil. Hence B does not stand fully true.

Option C - The passage however mentions that the amount of free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains is directly proportional to its quality. It also mentions that amount of free oleic acid can determine olive oils acidity. By linking the two statements C can be concluded:

"If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality. "

:)
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:12
C)

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced. => i think oleic acid and free oleic acid is different => wrong

B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity. => only is too strong => maybe there are other measures => wrong

C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality. => right

D. Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains. => again "only" => maybe there are other acids => wrong

E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste. => nothing about this in the argument => wrong
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 10:09
well agree with C , but cant negate D

the stem has as evidence ---"The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity".

this can only be true if there are no other acids present in unrefined olive oil.
in a way D is the best assumption,

any one tell me how to negate D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 10:34
dipaksingh wrote:
well agree with C , but cant negate D

the stem has as evidence ---"The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity".

this can only be true if there are no other acids present in unrefined olive oil.
in a way D is the best assumption,

any one tell me how to negate D.

The option D says that the oelic acid is the ONLY acid that unrefined olive oil contains. But that was not mentioned in the stem.

Since it is a conclusion question we should use the preimises mentioned and come to a conclusion. And the premises do not mention that oelic acid is the ONLY thing which olive oil contains. It says that the quality of the olive oil changes depending on the oelic acid
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 05:03
Yes

OA is C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 05:36
It took me a while to figure why it is C. I guess I need to take my time in reading the stimuli
  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2005, 05:36