Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: SC:Quechuans [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 15:57
this is a split gerrund...only C and D are correct...all others distort the meaning or have an ambigous "it"

C is wrong because it splits the gerrund, its direct contact not contact with later diretly through..C reads as if you have direct connection with the dream..thats not what the sentence meant..its direct contact with the mystical side, by means of a dream...perfect usage of idiom..by means of..

D it is.

gmacvik wrote:
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have contact with it directly with an ichana (dream) experience.
(A) contact with it directly with
(B) direct contact with it by way of
(C) contact with the latter directly through
(D) direct contact with the latter by means of
(E) contact directly with the mystical level due to
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Quechuans [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 16:27
gmacvik wrote:
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have contact with it directly with an ichana (dream) experience.

I choose D. Even though option D seems wordy at first sight, it uses "direct" in the right place and right sense, to modify "contact".

Directly in choice C is misplaced.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 10:31
and to split fine hairs,
"I have made contact with GMAC directly through mail" - means there was also an "indirect" option other than mailing.
"I have made direct contact with GMAC" takes out that slight ambiguity in meaning.
Hope that helps.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 7

Re: SC:Quechuans [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
gmacvik wrote:

D. Because direct is an adjective and should modify "contact". Therefore C is not correct. "Directly" is also an adverb that is not correct.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 18:14
darn it.. I was down to C and D and picked C. But looking back, I could see why C is wrong (misplaced modifier "directly"). :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 23:02
Same problem.

I was down to C and D.

Preferred "through" in C over "by means of" in D.
Preferred "direct contact" in D over "contact directly" in C

And picked C. One of those 50-50 ones.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC:Quechuans [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 09:30
Fistail wrote:
gmacvik wrote:

D. Because direct is an adjective and should modify "contact". Therefore C is not correct. "Directly" is also an adverb that is not correct.

Well explained. In C - claimed to have contact (with the latter) directly through...Contact is used as a noun and hence it requires an adjective (direct) not an adverb (directly).
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 645 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 23:18
Expert's post
How you guys decide which meaning is better. C yields a different meaning and the same goes for D. How you all sorted down to D.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 09:36
This was really tough.
I answered E just because I didn't know what to answer.
If someone could provide a detail explanation, I would be grateful.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1379 [1] , given: 122

Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
gmacvik wrote:

IMO: D is correct. Here's my 2 cents.

A, C, E out because "directly" modifies verb "have". That is not correct. "Direct" should modify "contact".
B is also out because the word "it" is ambiguous.
D is correct, and "the latter" clearly modifies "mystical level".

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 08:40
correct answer is D. now why C is wrong.

directly through in C means Quechuans are in contact directly via dream which is incorrect. but they are in direct contact via dream which is correctly stated in D.

hope this helps.

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1379 [0], given: 122

Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 14:49
I just want to add a small thing.
Correct idiom: by means of = through the use of. The idiom is correct and is not as wordy as we think.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.7
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 19:57
IMO D is correct. I will like to justify D by placing the fact that 'directly' as an adverb needs to modify a verb eg.'contact'(whereas in the sentence it is used as noun). As per the sentence it modifies 'have' which is an incorrect construct. Hence adjective form 'direct' must go with the noun Contact
Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 19:57