Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [147]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [31]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [28]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the materi [#permalink]
(D) The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have direct contact with the latter by means of ...

Doesn't it sound like 'the latter' relates to 'reality' rather than to 'the mystical level'?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the materi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Alexiaint wrote

Quote:
(D) The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have direct contact with the latter by means of ...

Doesn't it sound like 'the latter' relates to 'reality' rather than to 'the mystical level'?

I am afraid not; the material level of reality is the former and the mystical level of reality is the latter. 'Of reality' is just a prepositional intermediary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.99
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hm, I thought the answer would be D.

So my thought between B vs D is that B uses "it" in which "it" refers to the compound subject "material level and mystical level", and since it is singular, that B could not be correct.

However I can see that "direct contact with the latter" is a bit complicated. Any thoughts experts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have contact with it directly with an ichana (dream) experience.

Option A and B: pronoun "it" is ambiguous since it cannot refer to any specifics.
Option C: "directly through" is ambiguous because we are not sure whether the actual contact is direct.
Option E: error in usage of "due to"

Only D left no error.

(A) contact with it directly with

(B) direct contact with it by way of

(C) contact with the last directly through

(D) direct contact with the latter by means of
--- Correct

(E) contact directly with the mystical level due to

But OA is B? Need some expert explanation.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8806 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the material level and the mystical level of reality, and many individual Quechuans claimed to have contact with it directly with an ichana (dream) experience.

(A) contact with it directly with - Pronoun it does not have a clear antecdent

(B) direct contact with it by way of - Pronoun it does not have a clear antecdent

(C) contact with the last directly through - “with the last” is un-idiomatic

(D) direct contact with the latter by means of - Correct

(E) contact directly with the mystical level due to - Usage of due to is incorrect

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Choice A: Pronoun Reference Error.

Choice B: Pronoun Reference Error as in Choice A.

Choice C: The use of expression “with the last” is un-idiomatic.

Choice D: No errors.

Choice E: Use of “due to” changes the meaning of the sentence. The sentence now implies a cause and effect sequence – dream experience was the reason for the contact with mystical level of reality. The intended meaning however is that the contact with the mystical level of reality happened through the dream experience.

Thus, Choice D is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
gmacvik wrote:

(C) contact with the latter directly through

GMATNinja RonPurewal IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY can anybody explain the usage of due to? In what context can this expression be used and what should follow it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [7]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
gmacvik wrote:

This question is based on Construction.

In Option A, the pronoun ‘it’ is ambiguous as it its antecedent is not clear. As it stands, ‘it’ could refer to either the material level or the mystical level of reality. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B also contains the same ambiguous pronoun. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Option C clarifies what the Quechuans claimed to have contact with by using the noun instead of the pronoun.
However, the adverb ‘directly’ is misplaced in this option. As it is placed in the sentence, it seems to modify the preposition ‘through’, a function that is not performed by an adverb. So, Option C can be eliminated.

Option E also contains the misplaced adverb ‘directly’.
Moreover, the preposition ‘due to’ means “as a result of”. So, the sentence conveys the meaning that Quechuans claimed to have contact directly with the mystical level as a result of an ichana.
However, the other options contain a word that means that they claimed to have contact with mystical reality through or by means of an ichana. Since the meaning is distorted, Option E can be eliminated.

In Option D, the adjective ‘direct’ modifies the noun ‘contact’. The adjective ‘latter’ also helps to identify what the Quechuans claimed to have contact with. Moreover, the phrase ‘by means of’ correctly conveys the idea that it is through an ichana that the Quechuans claim to have contact with mystical reality.
Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Michele4 wrote:
gmacvik wrote:

GMATNinja RonPurewal IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY can anybody explain the usage of due to? In what context can this expression be used and what should follow it?

For more on the usage of "due to," check out this thread.

Examples of "due to" in official questions can be found here, here, here, and here. Enjoy!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the materi [#permalink]
gmacvik wrote:

Hi! I am not sure how D is better than C. In C it is clear that what directly is modifying as an adverb. In fact I found D to be a bit odd because of phrase by means of. Is there any other point of elimination ? Help. IanStewart GMATNinja avigutman

Originally posted by pk6969 on 25 Jul 2021, 03:57.
Last edited by pk6969 on 31 Jul 2021, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi,

In option D , i saw the use of "means of" , but i read somewhere that 'means of ' refers to 'a type of '. correct my understanding what is wrong with my knowledge , and how does that usage fits here.

Thnanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:

Hi! I am not sure how D is better than C. In C it is clear that what directly is modifying as an adverb. In fact I found D to be a bit odd because of phrase by means of. Is there any other point of elimination ? Help. IanStewart GMATNinja avigutman

I think (C) and (D) come down to a pretty significant difference in meaning, with regards to what it is exactly that the Quechuans claimed.

Is their claim about having contact with something, and this contact is achieved directly through a dream experience?
Or
Is their claim about having direct contact with something, and this direct contact is achieved thanks to a dream experience?

Do you see a difference in meaning? Which meaning do you think the author was attempting to convey?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
Hi,

In option D , i saw the use of "means of" , but i read somewhere that 'means of ' refers to 'a type of '. correct my understanding what is wrong with my knowledge , and how does that usage fits here.

Thnanks

Definition of "means":
an action or system by which a result is brought about; a method.
"resolving disputes by peaceful means"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
pk6969 wrote:

I think (C) and (D) come down to a pretty significant difference in meaning, with regards to what it is exactly that the Quechuans claimed.

Is their claim about having contact with something, and this contact is achieved directly through a dream experience?
Or
Is their claim about having direct contact with something, and this direct contact is achieved thanks to a dream experience?

Do you see a difference in meaning? Which meaning do you think the author was attempting to convey?

I think both meaning could make sense. Like, both meanings can be correct. But I got another point of distinction. In C, directly is a bit far from the verb its modifying. Though its not an absolute rule, but it surely gives D a plus point. Thats how I understood it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
avigutman wrote:

Or

I think both meaning could make sense. Like, both meanings can be correct. But I got another point of distinction. In C, directly is a bit far from the verb its modifying. Though its not an absolute rule, but it surely gives D a plus point. Thats how I understood it.

pk6969 C and D are both grammatically fine as far as I can tell. There's no rule related to adverb proximity.
Therefore, I fear that your takeaway isn't going to improve your overall SC ability. I want to dig a bit deeper into the logic/meaning issue - that's a much more useful, generally applicable takeaway.
Here's an analogy:
(C) I get sunlight directly through this window.
(D) I get direct sunlight through this window.
Grammatically they're both perfectly fine. But they mean different things. Which of those do you think is the more likely, more sensible meaning?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gmacvik wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality by using an ichana (dream) experience.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• For referring to the method by which an action is done, “by” is preferable to “through”.

A:
1/ This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "with an ichana (dream) experience"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality alongside an ichana (dream) experience; the intended meaning is that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality by using an ichana (dream) experience.
2/ Option A suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "it" could refer to both "the material level" and "the mystical level".

B:
1/ This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "it" could refer to both "the material level" and "the mystical level"

C: Trap.
1/ This answer choice uses the needlessly indirect phrase "have contact...directly", leading to awkwardness.
2/ Option C uses "through" to refer to the method by which many Quechuans made contact with the mystical level; remember, for referring to the method by which an action is done, “by” is preferable to “through”.

D: Correct.
1/ This answer choice uses the phrase "by means of an ichana (dream) experience", conveying the intended meaning - that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality by using an ichana (dream) experience.
2/ Option D avoids the pronoun ambiguity seen in Options A and B, as it uses no pronouns.
3/ Option D uses the preferred term "by" to refer to the method by which many Quechuans made contact with the mystical level.
4/ Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E:
1/ This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "due to an ichana (dream) experience"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality because an ichana (dream) experience existed; the intended meaning is that many individual Quechuans claimed to have made direct contact with the mystical layer of reality by using an ichana (dream) experience.
2/ Option E uses the needlessly indirect phrase "have contact directly", leading to awkwardness.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
The Quechuans believed that all things participated in both the materi [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
avigutman wrote:

Or

Therefore, I fear that your takeaway isn't going to improve your overall SC ability. I want to dig a bit deeper into the logic/meaning issue - that's a much more useful, generally applicable takeaway.
Here's an analogy:
(C) I get sunlight directly through this window.
(D) I get direct sunlight through this window.
Grammatically they're both perfectly fine. But they mean different things. Which of those do you think is the more likely, more sensible meaning?

avigutman
I think in this case C is the more sensible because it means that I get sunlight and the sunlight comes directly through this window. whereas I think D means we get direct sunlight as if thee could be indirect sunlight. In case of contact we can have direct contact and indirect contact but not in case of sunlight so option C seems better in this e.g
However, I'm really struggling to understand the difference in meaning between C and D in original question posted. I want to understand the difference in terms of meaning . Can you please help to understand it ? Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts