Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Question of "Why an MBA?"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 15:56
In general terms, what are some good answers to the question of why to pursue an MBA?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 19:11
Not to be an ass, but the "best" responses to "why I want an MBA" are those that are sincere and specific to YOU as an individual.

The worst ones are those that sound like a template.

It's not about what you say, but how you say it and how you make it specific to your own individual circumstance and goals.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 19:36
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Not to be an ass, but the "best" responses to "why I want an MBA" are those that are sincere and specific to YOU as an individual.

The worst ones are those that sound like a template.

It's not about what you say, but how you say it and how you make it specific to your own individual circumstance and goals.

Sure, sure. I'm not looking for a template. The basic reasons I want an MBA are to get into a field that matches my interest and potential, to direct my own career into the field of my choice (within reason - I'm not looking for a PE/VC position), and to gain the skills necessary for that field. Would you say those are good enough reasons?
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 524 [1] , given: 0

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
As I said before, it's not what you say.

Ten people can say exactly what you said. Five of them will come across as generic BS. The other five will come across as sincere.

I'm not trying to play Jedi mind tricks with you. I'm just saying you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 15:22
AlexMBAApply wrote:
As I said before, it's not what you say.

Ten people can say exactly what you said. Five of them will come across as generic BS. The other five will come across as sincere.

I'm not trying to play Jedi mind tricks with you. I'm just saying you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

i love your comments. very insightful!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 15:58
Basicly, my answer would be "Because it's there!", but you can't say that to adcom.

Still, you can say "Because it's there" if you articulate it in some academic manner through using "academic challenge", "more demanding position which will exploit all my potentiall, but I need an MBA to get such position" or something like that. But, in the end of the day, the answer is still "Because it's there".

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 24 May 2009, 18:29
My roommate is considering a joint JD-MBA while I was previously considering a PhD-MBA (do those even exist?) but realized that a PhD is no longer in my best interest. Anyway, he wanted me to ask about whether or not stressing the joint part too much could hurt the application. I believe he wants to go into either business law or restructuring, and thinks that a JDMBA will help him. Should one stress the joint degree aspect of the MBA when one is applying to a dual program (JDMBA, MA-MBA...etc) too much, or should one rather focus mainly on the MBA aspect of it. Could a joint application give one a competitive edge?

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 26 May 2009, 20:53
bipolarbear wrote:
My roommate is considering a joint JD-MBA while I was previously considering a PhD-MBA (do those even exist?) but realized that a PhD is no longer in my best interest. Anyway, he wanted me to ask about whether or not stressing the joint part too much could hurt the application. I believe he wants to go into either business law or restructuring, and thinks that a JDMBA will help him. Should one stress the joint degree aspect of the MBA when one is applying to a dual program (JDMBA, MA-MBA...etc) too much, or should one rather focus mainly on the MBA aspect of it. Could a joint application give one a competitive edge?

No, because no matter what universities will say publicly, in reality the individual schools within the universities are separate silos that don't really talk to one another.

So a dual-degree program really is like getting two separate degrees from two separate schools (that happen to be part of the same university). As such, admissions is considered on a mutually exclusive basis in reality, even though there will be essay questions asking about how a joint degree will help.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?" [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 00:08
teabiscuit wrote:
In general terms, what are some good answers to the question of why to pursue an MBA?

Though I cannot answer this question on your behalf, but would recommend to go through the self-evaluation posted in the below link:
why-mba-84855.html

Don't forget to leave a note if you like my post :)

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Re: The Question of "Why an MBA?"   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 00:08