Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon threatens the entire planet

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-17-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi all,

This question is from CR Bible and they gave the answer as well regarding what are premise and conclusion. But I am not convinced. So can anyone please help me in explaining this?
Kindly figure out the premise and conclusion in the argument below and explain also.

"The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon threatens the entire planet. Consequently, we must take immediate steps to convince the Brazilian government
that planned development projects need to be curtailed for the simple reason that these development projects will greatly accelerate the loss of currently protected land"

Also, is it possible to have more than one conclusion in any argument like multiple premises?

Thanks,
FKA

Edit: Write clearly the title relate to the argument
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 75

Re: Premise and Conclusion [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 12:49
There may be several premises and conclusions in an argument but the multiple conclusion arguments has a final conclusion, it's just that the conclusion stated before th final conclusion plays the role of another premise.
Final conclusion:-we must take immediate steps to convince the Brazilian government.
Rest is premise.
Look for keywords,when an author says something, suggests, or ordered in an argument its considered as a conclusion as we already have learnt that a conclusion starts with a because, therefore etc... (must refer Kaplan premier )

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:19
Conclusion = Consequently, we must take immediate steps to convince the Brazilian government
that planned development projects need to be curtailed

Premise = (1) The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon threatens the entire planet + (2) for the simple reason that these development projects will greatly accelerate the loss of currently protected land.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 11:00
Expert's post
MyFutureMyProspects wrote:
Also, is it possible to have more than one conclusion in any argument like multiple premises?
hi FKA,

This is a very interesting question. The answer is, yes and no.

If it's an argument, then it has a single conclusion. There is one, main point that the author is making.

However, the evidence and premises supporting that conclusion can take many forms--statistical data, opinion, or sometimes, other arguments. And those arguments, offered in support of the authors primary conclusion, will in turn have their own sub-conclusions, sub-premises, and (sometimes) sub-assumptions.

For example, consider the following flawed logic: "Owning giraffes is illegal. All giraffes are yellow with spots, and your pet fluffy is yellow with spots, so it's clearly a giraffe. You're breaking the law." The conclusion in this case is that you are breaking the law, based on the premise that you own a giraffe which is illegal. However, the reason that I think you own a giraffe is an argument itself. Since the secondary argument is based on a classic flaw of formal logic, the support for my main conclusion is undermined, and in all likelihood you are not breaking the anti-giraffe laws.

You'll see these from time to time on regular Critical Reasoning prompts, but not terribly often. However, this type of structure shows up all the time on bold statement question. A typical answer choice to the question "which of the following describes the role of the boldface sentence in the author's argument" might go, "the first is the author's main conclusion and the second is a subsidiary conclusion supporting the main conclusion." Your job would be to figure out if that was an accurate summation.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: The rapid diminishment of the ecosystem of the Amazon   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2012, 11:00