Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [45]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [5]
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
MentorTutoring
Can you pls explain how D is better than C

Though C absolutely makes sense, I have read it in many questions that "where" should be used for physical places

Hello again, GDT. I think VeritasKarishma has done a fine job above discussing how where is a stand-in for in which here. I prefer the latter, so I immediately looked at (E). But other issues prevented me from choosing it. To answer your query, I cannot explain how (D) is better than (C), since (C) is the better option, but we will look at the two side by side in the context of the surrounding sentence:

(C) The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the Springfield Public School district was a source of an overcrowded school system where 70 percent of student enrollments are above the state board of education's suggested limits.

(D) The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the Springfield Public School district was a source of an overcrowded school system which has 70 percent of student enrollments above the state board of education's suggested limits.

To be honest, I wanted are at the end of (C) to read were instead (to agree with the earlier was in was a source). In addition, I wanted where to read in which, but I held on to (C) because I could not argue against it outright.

In (D), the restrictive which clause is okay. I read it as a that. The part that deterred me from choosing it was the phrase has 70 percent of... enrollments above, a less clear and direct version of 70 percent of... enrollments are above from the previous answer choice. (Note, too, that has did not address my concern in (C) about verb tense.) In all, clarity of meaning guided me to (C) as the harder to argue against. I am not crazy about either answer, as I never like to choose something based on what I want to see, but between the two options, (D) is harder to follow.

I hope that helps. Learn what you can from such questions.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
I dont understand, What "them" or "they" refers to?

so it narrows down to C and D,
In D "which" should be preceded by a comma.
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
qlx wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the Springfield Public School district was a source of an overcrowded school system where the student enrollments of 70 percent of them are above the state board of education's suggested limits.

A.where the student enrollments of 70 percent of them are
B.where they have 70 percent of student enrollments
C.where 70 percent of student enrollments are
D.which has 70 percent of student enrollments
E.in which 70 percent of them have student enrollments

We need to get into grammar to understand these issues. There are small details which can be used to point out the error but in the actual exam, you cannot rely on them. You will not have the time and will predominantly need to use your ear. Try to practice enough so that you don't need to get into the nitty gritty of grammar in the test.

1. Comma before which
Usually, 'which' introduces a non-restrictive clause (that is not essential to the meaning of the sentence). Non-restrictive clauses are surrounded by commas. Usually, while introducing a restrictive clause (one that is essential to the meaning of the sentence), we use 'that' and do not use a comma. Sometimes 'which' is also used to introduce restrictive clauses and it will not take a comma in that situation. GMAT does not test commas. So if you see which without a comma, do not ignore the option. To summarize, 'which' will usually come with a comma in GMAT questions but it could appear without one if it is introducing a restrictive clause. Anyway, ignore the commas as far as GMAT is concerned.

2. Where/which
They are not interchangeable. Often, 'where' and 'in which' are interchangeable. In this sentence, I would have preferred "in which" but of the given options, I will take 'where'.
'Where' is a relative adverb which can replace 'preposition + which' (in which or at which)

e.g. This is the city in which I live.
This is the city where I live.

When you use "which has..." which here acts as a relative pronoun. The sentence structure doesn't support this.

Look at two sentences:
Canada, where people are very kind, is very cold.
Canada, which has a small population, is very cold.

The structure of the two sentences is different.

Canada is very cold. People are very kind in Canada. - Canada is used as an adverb here. It is replaced by 'where'
Canada is very cold. Canada has a small population. - Canada is the subject here. It is replaced by 'which'

In our original sentence, the structure is: "70 percent of student enrollments are above the limit in the system".
Here the system is acting as an adverb and hence needs "in which"/"where".

"The system" is not the subject and hence cannot be replaced by "which has".

Hi karishma,
The use of where/which has always confused me.Personally I was never convinced that "where" should only be used for geographical locations but I forced myself to believe so after getting a couple of wrong answers in SC dealing with where/which.

Query 1:
So can we say for sure based on this question that "where" does not necessarily have to refer to geographical locations?

Query 2:
where/ in which, can be used interchangeably?

Now if you can please refer to the question below , please tell me , how am I to decide between options C and E, option C uses " where " and E uses " in which ".

if " where/in which " can be used interchangeably then ideally there are no differences between the 2 options?

consulting-companies-and-other-professional-services-groups-149197.html

If you could please share more links and insights showing the proper uses of " in which/ where/ which " then it could certainly help us more to get a better understanding regarding this issue.
We know use is not consistent among the various sources and this fact causes problems in understanding, however what we want is in reference to GMAT and GMAC.
How does GMAC want us to treat " where/which/in which "
As always thank you so much for your selfless assistance all your posts are highly appreciated.

Hello qlx,
Maybe I can explain something here.

Query 1:
So can we say for sure based on this question that "where" does not necessarily have to refer to geographical locations?
Answer:
Stick to the belief that "WHERE" refers to geographical locations. It will get you 99.99% correct answers.

Query 2:
Answer:
Yes, "where/ in which can be used interchangeably" - BUT
WHERE - when geographical location is explicit
IN WHICH - when geographical location is not explicit

Now, for the confusion regarding Options C & E.
Option C: where 70 percent of student enrollments are
Option E:in which 70 percent of them have student enrollments

In option E "THEM" has no proper antecedent, here "THEM" refers to the singular "SCHOOL SYSTEM" - Illogical

Now Option C is that 0.01% set of answers that makes use of "WHERE" correct.

But please note, Option C is correct only because other questions can be eliminated on clearly evident faults.

If there was no "THEM" in option E, then Option E would have been the correct answer.

Hope it helps somewhat.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the Springfield Public School district was a source of an overcrowded school system where the student enrollments of 70 percent of them are above the state board of education's suggested limits.

Out of the given options, (C) is the best.
The underlined portion conveys the following: 70% of student enrollments are above the limit.

The use of pronouns 'they' and 'them' is incorrect. They have no appropriate antecedent. Use of 'student enrollments of 70%' is incorrect and unclear. You need to say '70% of student enrollments'

In (D), 'which has' is incorrect. You could say 'in which 70 percent of student enrollments are'.

Thanks Karishma for your reply.
My confusion is with D. Would you please clarify why 'which has' is incorrect here?

I chose D over C as I thought 'where' is applicable for place and system is not a place here...!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
I also Chose D.
Although I wasn't 100% sure ,but school system is not a place so I chose sentence starting with Which. D starts with which but which should follow a comma in case it is referring to the noun preceding it.
Is my reasoning correct here?

Karishma, would you please clear my doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:

Out of the given options, (C) is the best.
The underlined portion conveys the following: 70% of student enrollments are above the limit.

The use of pronouns 'they' and 'them' is incorrect. They have no appropriate antecedent. Use of 'student enrollments of 70%' is incorrect and unclear. You need to say '70% of student enrollments'

In (D), 'which has' is incorrect. You could say 'in which 70 percent of student enrollments are'.

Still I don't understand why (D) is incorrect :( .. Does which always demands a comma here ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
So if you see which without a comma, do not ignore the option. To summarize, 'which' will usually come with a comma in GMAT questions but it could appear without one if it is introducing a restrictive clause. Anyway, ignore the commas as far as GMAT is concerned.

Hello Karishma, I actually read that we "must" just ignore a choice, which does not have a comma before "which" (when "which" is used as a relative pronoun).

However, since your recommendation is different, can you please any official example, where there is no comma before "which" and still that option is correct.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi Karishma,
Thanks for the detail explanation.

Few quick clarifications-
"Canada is very cold. People are very kind in Canada. - Canada is used as an adverb here. It is replaced by 'where'" ----> Here what does Canada modify as an Adverb? the adjective 'kind' ??

Also in the given sentence what does 'an overcrowded school system' modify as an Adverb ?

Look forward to hear from you.

P.S: It's very confusing that some GMAT verbal experts out in the club say that 'which' preceded by a comma, is always used in non-restrictive use and 'that' NOT preceded by a comma, is always used in restrictive use in GMAT and there are no exceptions...but you say that there could be some exceptions...!!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Karishma,
Thanks for the detail explanation.

Few quick clarifications-
"Canada is very cold. People are very kind in Canada. - Canada is used as an adverb here. It is replaced by 'where'" ----> Here what does Canada modify as an Adverb? the adjective 'kind' ??

Also in the given sentence what does 'an overcrowded school system' modify as an Adverb ?

Look forward to hear from you.

P.S: It's very confusing that some GMAT verbal experts out in the club say that 'which' preceded by a comma, is always used in non-restrictive use and 'that' NOT preceded by a comma, is always used in restrictive use in GMAT and there are no exceptions...but you say that there could be some exceptions...!!!

Canada is the adverb of place. People are kind where? In Canada
Similarly, 70% enrollments are above the limit where/in what? In the system

And as for Grammar rules, there are very few 'no exception' rules (of course you have the 'I am', 'you are' etc "rules"). Why? Because grammar is fluid. What was incorrect a decade back might be acceptable today in spoken English and it might be acceptable in formal English a decade down the line. Also, what is unacceptable in one culture in English might be fine in another. So GMAC does not test minute grammar differentiation. What you have to focus on is reasoning and logic. Does the sentence make sense?

As for which/that, you have to figure out whether the clause is defining or non-defining i.e. you have to focus on the meaning of the sentence and the role the clause plays.

If it is defining, it will not have a comma. It could use which/who/that etc. Mind you, you could write a defining clause with 'which'. That is not necessary for a defining clause. A source which explains this is https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/ ... ve-clauses
You can find many other.

If it is non-defining, it will use commas. It could use which/who/whose but it will not use 'that'.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:

Also, I did not say that 'which' used with non-restrictive clause may come without a comma.
A non-restrictive clause always comes with commas.
A restrictive clause always comes without commas.

The point is that focus on the meaning of the sentence - whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive. Not whether you have the comma with which or not.
'which' does not always demand a comma. It depends on whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks for your detail explanation Karishma but my point of confusion was that some experts say that GMAT always uses 'which' as a non-restrictive/Non-defining Relative Clause and hence must have a comma before it.

Is it explicitly clarified in any OG regrading the scope of use of 'which' in GMAT ?

Can you please share some OG/GMAT Prep instances where we have 'which' as a restrictive/defining Relative Clause without a comma before it ?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Thanks for your detail explanation Karishma but my point of confusion was that some experts say that GMAT always uses 'which' as a non-restrictive/Non-defining Relative Clause and hence must have a comma before it.

Is it explicitly clarified in any OG regrading the scope of use of 'which' in GMAT ?

Can you please share some OG/GMAT Prep instances where we have 'which' as a restrictive/defining Relative Clause without a comma before it ?

GMAT 'usually' uses which in non-restrictive sense and 'that' in restrictive sense. But nowadays the use of commas with which is related to whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive (Check https://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/ ... or_not.htm - different sources will tell you differently of course). GMAT considers the topic to be controversial and hence does not test it. For example, look at question 12 of OG 13 - they did not give you an option which says 'which keeps' since they do not test you on this.
Hence, do not ignore an option just because it doesn't have a comma before which. Figure out whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive and then take a call.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:

GMAT 'usually' uses which in non-restrictive sense and 'that' in restrictive sense. But nowadays the use of commas with which is related to whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive (Check https://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/ ... or_not.htm - different sources will tell you differently of course). GMAT considers the topic to be controversial and hence does not test it. For example, look at question 12 of OG 13 - they did not give you an option which says 'which keeps' since they do not test you on this.
Hence, do not ignore an option just because it doesn't have a comma before which. Figure out whether the clause is restrictive or non-restrictive and then take a call.

Karishma - Thanks again for further clarification.

So what I understand from your post and question 12 of OG 13 is that although GMAT mostly (say 90%-95% of the cases) doesn't use 'which' in restrictive usage BUT there can be a very few instances that a SC question may come up with 'which' in restrictive use. Right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:

So what I understand from your post and question 12 of OG 13 is that although GMAT mostly (say 90%-95% of the cases) doesn't use 'which' in restrictive usage BUT there can be a very few instances that a SC question may come up with 'which' in restrictive use. Right?

Yes, keep in mind that it is controversial. GMAT will never *test* you on it since different grammarians have a different take on it. So you have to focus only on whether it is restrictive or non-restrictive and how everything fits together. Don't freak out if some options use 'which' in restrictive sense. The GMAT is testing you on some other concept there so ignore 'no comma before which'.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:

Yes, keep in mind that it is controversial. GMAT will never *test* you on it since different grammarians have a different take on it. So you have to focus only on whether it is restrictive or non-restrictive and how everything fits together. Don't freak out if some options use 'which' in restrictive sense. The GMAT is testing you on some other concept there so ignore 'no comma before which'.

Thanks for confirming the same.

I saw your article on 'Which' vs 'That' Debate - nice one. Look forward to few more OG question reference over there!Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM

We need to get into grammar to understand these issues. There are small details which can be used to point out the error but in the actual exam, you cannot rely on them. You will not have the time and will predominantly need to use your ear. Try to practice enough so that you don't need to get into the nitty gritty of grammar in the test.

1. Comma before which
Usually, 'which' introduces a non-restrictive clause (that is not essential to the meaning of the sentence). Non-restrictive clauses are surrounded by commas. Usually, while introducing a restrictive clause (one that is essential to the meaning of the sentence), we use 'that' and do not use a comma. Sometimes 'which' is also used to introduce restrictive clauses and it will not take a comma in that situation. GMAT does not test commas. So if you see which without a comma, do not ignore the option. To summarize, 'which' will usually come with a comma in GMAT questions but it could appear without one if it is introducing a restrictive clause. Anyway, ignore the commas as far as GMAT is concerned.

2. Where/which
They are not interchangeable. Often, 'where' and 'in which' are interchangeable. In this sentence, I would have preferred "in which" but of the given options, I will take 'where'.
'Where' is a relative adverb which can replace 'preposition + which' (in which or at which)

When you use "which has..." which here acts as a relative pronoun. The sentence structure doesn't support this.

Look at two sentences:

Canada is very cold. People are very kind in Canada. - Canada is used as an adverb here. It is replaced by 'where'
Canada is very cold. Canada has a small population. - Canada is the subject here. It is replaced by 'which'

In our original sentence, the structure is: "70 percent of student enrollments are above the limit in the system".

Hi karishma,
The use of where/which has always confused me.Personally I was never convinced that "where" should only be used for geographical locations but I forced myself to believe so after getting a couple of wrong answers in SC dealing with where/which.

Query 1:

Query 2:

Now if you can please refer to the question below , please tell me , how am I to decide between options C and E, option C uses " where " and E uses " in which ".

if " where/in which " can be used interchangeably then ideally there are no differences between the 2 options?

If you could please share more links and insights showing the proper uses of " in which/ where/ which " then it could certainly help us more to get a better understanding regarding this issue.
We know use is not consistent among the various sources and this fact causes problems in understanding, however what we want is in reference to GMAT and GMAC.
As always thank you so much for your selfless assistance all your posts are highly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the [#permalink]
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
qlx wrote:

1. Comma before which

2. Where/which

Look at two sentences:

Hi karishma,

Query 1:

Query 2:

Hello qlx,
Maybe I can explain something here.

Query 1:
Answer:
Stick to the belief that "WHERE" refers to geographical locations. It will get you 99.99% correct answers.

Query 2:
Answer:
Yes, "where/ in which can be used interchangeably" - BUT
WHERE - when geographical location is explicit
IN WHICH - when geographical location is not explicit

Now, for the confusion regarding Options C & E.
Option C: where 70 percent of student enrollments are
Option E:in which 70 percent of them have student enrollments

In option E "THEM" has no proper antecedent, here "THEM" refers to the singular "SCHOOL SYSTEM" - Illogical

Now Option C is that 0.01% set of answers that makes use of "WHERE" correct.

But please note, Option C is correct only because other questions can be eliminated on clearly evident faults.

If there was no "THEM" in option E, then Option E would have been the correct answer.

Hope it helps somewhat.

Ashishmathew01081987

Appreciate your inputs and insights, however you failed to see the question in the link which I have provided.The confusion regarding option C and E was in regard to this question below

If you can click on the link, go to the question there, and tell me your views on option C and E, thanks for trying.
GMAT Club Bot
The rapid population growth within the boundaries of the [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts