Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 243
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 8

The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 17:45
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

23% (01:56) correct 77% (01:04) wrong based on 32 sessions
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 469
Location: Texas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 18:19
B.

A, C are out because of incorrect use of idiom. D changes the meaning.
of B and E, B is better. In E, 'also have they helped' is awkward construction.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 708
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 18:26
This is a tough one.

B would have been an easy choice if "helped to decongest" were replaced by "helped in decongesting".

A does not look correct because of ambiguous "they": does it refer to rail-lines or to positive effects.

So i am left with D.

Crick
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying for 2012 B school admissions
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 131
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 32

Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 22:42
B for me.

A and C are out, as idiom "not only..but also" is not followed. E is awkward. Left with B and D. I will go with B, as "the lines" in B clearly refer to the lines mentioned previously in the sentence, whereas in D it is just "lines", which can be ambiguous.

OA??
_________________

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 571
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 22:47
bschool83 wrote:
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest



Can any one explain how is
not only lowered pollution levels parallel to but also helped to decongest
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: ==GMAT Ninja==
Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 247
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 00:59
sudhir18n wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest



Can any one explain how is
not only lowered pollution levels parallel to but also helped to decongest



hey sudhir
though its quite weird to help you (as you had 0 incorrect in MGMAT) :wink: :wink:

but still here is my view on this
not only lowered .......xxxxxx || but also helped ..............xxxxx

now xxxxx could be anything
we need not to consider its role in the sentence for us lowered should be "parallel" to "helped" :? :?
forget what is ahead in the sentence
_________________

WarLocK
_____________________________________________________________________________
The War is oNNNNNNNNNNNNN for 720+
see my Test exp here http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-experience-111610.html
do not hesitate me giving kudos if you like my post. :)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: GMAT BATTLE - WIN OR DIE
Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 175
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 02:44
I choose B.
My explanations are below
bschool83 wrote:
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting - incorrect idiom
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest - correct idiom
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest - incorrect idiom
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting - what lines? we disscust the concret lines so we need "THE lines"
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest - no subjet makes fragmet
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2005
Posts: 571
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 03:45
WishMasterUA wrote:
I choose B.
My explanations are below
bschool83 wrote:
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting - incorrect idiom
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest - correct idiom
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest - incorrect idiom
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting - what lines? we disscust the concret lines so we need "THE lines"
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest - no subjet makes fragmet



Can you explain howz that the correct idiom?
Not only X but also Y., both X and Y must be parallel .. are they?
I dont think so they are in B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: GMAT BATTLE - WIN OR DIE
Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 175
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 05:51
I think they are.

the lines have not only lowered something, but also helped in something



sudhir18n wrote:
WishMasterUA wrote:
I choose B.
My explanations are below
bschool83 wrote:
The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in southern California have had positive effects: not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting the region's freeway system, which had been operating far above its capacity.

A. not only have they lowered pollution levels, they have helped in decongesting - incorrect idiom
B. the lines have not only lowered pollution levels, but also helped to decongest - correct idiom
C. not only have pollution levels been lowered, but they have helped to decongest - incorrect idiom
D. lines have lowered pollution levels, as well as helped in decongesting - what lines? we disscust the concret lines so we need "THE lines"
E. not only have they lowered pollution levels, but also have they helped decongest - no subjet makes fragmet



Can you explain howz that the correct idiom?
Not only X but also Y., both X and Y must be parallel .. are they?
I dont think so they are in B.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 243
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 8

Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 07:06
2
This post received
KUDOS
crick20002002 wrote:
This is a tough one.

B would have been an easy choice if "helped to decongest" were replaced by "helped in decongesting".

A does not look correct because of ambiguous "they": does it refer to rail-lines or to positive effects.

So i am left with D.

Crick


Crick,

This is a straight B.

'To help' is a special verb form that can be followed either by a bare infinitive or by a to-form infinitive. It is rarely used in the form Verb + Preposition + gerund. There are very few verbs that are followed by a preposition and a gerund. GMAT almost always prefers the to-form infinitives over the gerund-form.

This is the order GMAT usually prefers in order of correctness:
I helped to raise angel capital >> I helped raise angel capital >> I helped in raising angel capital

Hence, if "helped to decongest" were replaced "with" "helped in decongesting", it would be an incorrect answer choice.

Also a small thing (unrelated to question), the correct idiom usage of replace is 'to replace with' and not 'to replace by'.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 13:02
B has correct idiom usage and also its a stand alone sentence unlike D which misses "The" infront of lines.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 708
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 21:48
bschool83 wrote:
crick20002002 wrote:
This is a tough one.

B would have been an easy choice if "helped to decongest" were replaced by "helped in decongesting".

A does not look correct because of ambiguous "they": does it refer to rail-lines or to positive effects.

So i am left with D.

Crick


Crick,

This is a straight B.

'To help' is a special verb form that can be followed either by a bare infinitive or by a to-form infinitive. It is rarely used in the form Verb + Preposition + gerund. There are very few verbs that are followed by a preposition and a gerund. GMAT almost always prefers the to-form infinitives over the gerund-form.

This is the order GMAT usually prefers in order of correctness:
I helped to raise angel capital >> I helped raise angel capital >> I helped in raising angel capital

Hence, if "helped to decongest" were replaced "with" "helped in decongesting", it would be an incorrect answer choice.

Also a small thing (unrelated to question), the correct idiom usage of replace is 'to replace with' and not 'to replace by'.

Hope it helps.


Thanks a lot for the explanation !! +1 Kudos !!

Crick
Re: SC - 700 level - Rapid-rail   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2011, 21:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Native to south america,when peanuts were introduced to USADream 5 18 Aug 2013, 21:35
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Rabbits were introduced to Numa Island in the nineteenth ankit0411 8 09 Oct 2012, 08:35
Experts publish their posts in the topic DNA fingerprinting is a recently-introduced biochemical Legendaddy 3 10 Sep 2012, 11:44
1 DNA fingerprinting is a recently-introduced biochemical gautrang 8 16 Sep 2010, 07:31
DNA fingerprinting is a recently-introduced biochemical eyunni 4 30 Nov 2007, 11:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The rapid-rail lines that were recently introduced in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.