Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2011
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 29

The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:01) correct 30% (01:07) wrong based on 96 sessions
The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent from last year. The fault lies entirely in our court system. Recently our judges' sentences have been so lenient that criminals can now do almost anything without fear of a long prison term.

The argument above would be weakened if it were true that:

(A)
85 percent of the other states in the nation have lower crime rates than does this state.
(B)

white collar crime in this state has also increased by over 25 percent in the last year.
(C)

35 percent of the police in this state have been laid off in the last year due to budget cuts.
(D)

polls show that 65 percent of the population in this state oppose capital punishment.
(E)

the state has hired 25 new judges in the last year to compensate for deaths and retirements

Can you please share your thought processes on this, how to arrive at the answer?

Many thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:22
elegan wrote:
The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent from last year. The fault lies entirely in our court system. Recently our judges' sentences have been so lenient that criminals can now do almost anything without fear of a long prison term.

The argument above would be weakened if it were true that:

(A)
85 percent of the other states in the nation have lower crime rates than does this state.
(B)

white collar crime in this state has also increased by over 25 percent in the last year.
(C)

35 percent of the police in this state have been laid off in the last year due to budget cuts.
(D)

polls show that 65 percent of the population in this state oppose capital punishment.
(E)

the state has hired 25 new judges in the last year to compensate for deaths and retirements

Can you please share your thought processes on this, how to arrive at the answer?

Many thanks.


The argument is that increase in crime is due to lenient sentences. To weaken the argument we need to find an alternate reason for increase in crime.
Option C does exactly that. If there is a significant lay off in police force, it would mean law enforcement would suffer, resulting in increase crimes.

Ans C it is.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief


Last edited by Vips0000 on 29 Oct 2012, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1226
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 22:23
Conclusion : Crime up due to judges being leniant.

A statement to weaken can provide an alternate cause for the result. C clearly works to serve this purpose. Hence, answer should be C.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2011
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 23:00
What I found here was that 35pc decrease in police force resulted in 35pc increase in violent crime.

Almost seemed to me like a red herring or a cause/effect (which is true), but the percentages through me off the track a little.
AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 31

Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 06:51
elegan wrote:
What I found here was that 35pc decrease in police force resulted in 35pc increase in violent crime.

Almost seemed to me like a red herring or a cause/effect (which is true), but the percentages through me off the track a little.


Hi Elegan,

They key to do well in Strengthen, Weaken, and Assumption questions is to focus on Conclusion and see what all evidence/ Facts in the statement proves or supports the conclusion. \
Then find your own answer before looking at the answer choices as to what can actually weaken /strengthen the question or what are the assumption the argument has made to make the conclusion.

This process will improve your accuracy and timing as well.

Suggest you ti give it a try to 5-10 question. You will see the difference.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4668
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4783 [1] , given: 163

Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 03:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
elegan wrote:
The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent from last year. The fault lies entirely in our court system. Recently our judges' sentences have been so lenient that criminals can now do almost anything without fear of a long prison term.

The argument above would be weakened if it were true that:

(A)
85 percent of the other states in the nation have lower crime rates than does this state.
(B)

white collar crime in this state has also increased by over 25 percent in the last year.
(C)

35 percent of the police in this state have been laid off in the last year due to budget cuts.
(D)

polls show that 65 percent of the population in this state oppose capital punishment.
(E)

the state has hired 25 new judges in the last year to compensate for deaths and retirements

Can you please share your thought processes on this, how to arrive at the answer?

Many thanks.


The argument is that increase in crime is due to lenient sentences. To weaken the argument we need to find an alternate reason for increase in crime.
Option C does exactly that. If there is a significant lay off in police force, it would mean law enforcement would suffer, resulting in increase crimes.

Ans C it is.


@Vips: Just an example of 'arguments are not perfect':

(C) 35 percent of the police in this state have been laid off in the last year due to budget cuts.

You say (C) WILL weaken the argument and hence is the answer. I will say 'C CAN weaken the argument and hence is the answer.

Since 35% of the force was laid off, there are fewer policemen around and hence security is lax. This could be another reason for increased crime. Hence (C) could weaken the argument.

On the other hand, what if I tell you that the police force laid off consisted of just the bureaucracy or these were the people who harbored criminals. Or that the rest of the 65% force is working double shifts whole heartedly to retain their jobs. This could actually strengthen/have no effect on the argument since the police force is more efficient after it was cleaned up.

The intent of the option is obviously to weaken it but you could weaken or strengthen with more data. Hence do not look for foolproof options.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 05:57
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
@Vips: Just an example of 'arguments are not perfect':
(C) 35 percent of the police in this state have been laid off in the last year due to budget cuts.
You say (C) WILL weaken the argument and hence is the answer. I will say 'C CAN weaken the argument and hence is the answer.
Since 35% of the force was laid off, there are fewer policemen around and hence security is lax. This could be another reason for increased crime. Hence (C) could weaken the argument.
On the other hand, what if I tell you that the police force laid off consisted of just the bureaucracy or these were the people who harbored criminals. Or that the rest of the 65% force is working double shifts whole heartedly to retain their jobs. This could actually strengthen/have no effect on the argument since the police force is more efficient after it was cleaned up.
The intent of the option is obviously to weaken it but you could weaken or strengthen with more data. Hence do not look for foolproof options.


Point taken Karishma. I know which post you are referring to :-D
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 1646
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 07:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent   [#permalink] 18 May 2014, 07:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The rate of violent crime in this state is up 30 percent soniedarshan 4 09 Jun 2013, 23:35
The rate of violent crime in this state is up 30 percent crejoc 4 18 Aug 2009, 08:28
violent crime rates gmatprep09 4 07 Jul 2009, 07:33
The rate of violent crime in this state is up 30% from last Ravshonbek 8 16 Aug 2007, 16:11
The violent crime rate (number of violent crimes per 1,000 gamjatang 9 15 Dec 2005, 23:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The rate of violent crime in this state is up 35 percent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.