Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 16

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 10:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (02:27) correct 47% (01:38) wrong based on 129 sessions
The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in a certain solution is 2:50:100. The solution will be altered so that the ratio of baking soda to water is halved while the ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled. How many cubic centimeters of water will this solution contain if the altered solution will contain 100 cubic centimeters of peroxide?

A. 50
B. 200
C. 400
D. 625
E. 800

The Book does not show any answers. Hence I need to figure out if I have done them correctly or not. Please help me if you can. Would greatly appropriate it. Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Oct 2012, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
OA added.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1627
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 619

Kudos [?]: 2482 [2] , given: 745

Re: Ratio Problem 5 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 10:58
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Initially
B:P:W=2:50:100
That is B:P=2:50 and B:W=2:100
After altering the solution
B:P is halved i.e B:P now is 1:50
B:W is doubled i.e B:W now is 4:100
So in the new solution B:P:W=4:200:100
That makes P:W=2:1
So water = 50 cc
A is my choice
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 85
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 14

Re: Ratio Problem 5 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 01:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Initially
B:P:W=2:50:100
That is B:P=2:50 and B:W=2:100
After altering the solution
B:P is halved i.e B:P now is 1:50
B:W is doubled i.e B:W now is 4:100
So in the new solution B:P:W=4:200:100
That makes P:W=2:1
So water = 50 cc
A is my choice


My working is similar, only thing is probably the ratios are different

B:P:W=2:50:100
That is B:P=2:50 and B:W=2:100
After altering the solution
B:W is halved
New B:w now is 1:100 (or 4:400)
B:P is doubled
New B:P now is 4:50

In new solution
B:P:W = 4:50:400
or 8:100:800

When P is 100cc, Water is 800cc

E, it is.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1627
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 619

Kudos [?]: 2482 [1] , given: 745

Re: Ratio Problem 5 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 01:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19083
Followers: 3399

Kudos [?]: 24843 [3] , given: 2692

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 07:00
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
phoenix9801 wrote:
The Book does not show any answers. Hence I need to figure out if I have done them correctly or not. Please help me if you can. Would greatly appropriate it. Thanks.

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in a certain solution is 2:50:100. The solution will be altered so that the ratio of baking soda to water is halved while the ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled. How many cubic centimeters of water will this solution contain if the altered solution will contain 100 cubic centimeters of peroxide?

A. 50
B. 200
C. 400
D. 625
E. 800


Given: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{2}{{\frac{50}{100}}};

The ratio of baking soda to water is halved --> \frac{B}{W}=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{2}{100}=\frac{1}{100}=\frac{4}{400};

The ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled --> \frac{B}{P}=2*\frac{2}{50}=\frac{4}{50};

New ratio: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{4}{{\frac{50}{400}}} --> \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400} --> if P=2*50=100 then W=2*400=800.

Answer: E.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 160
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 11:44
Bunuel wrote:
phoenix9801 wrote:
The Book does not show any answers. Hence I need to figure out if I have done them correctly or not. Please help me if you can. Would greatly appropriate it. Thanks.

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in a certain solution is 2:50:100. The solution will be altered so that the ratio of baking soda to water is halved while the ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled. How many cubic centimeters of water will this solution contain if the altered solution will contain 100 cubic centimeters of peroxide?

A. 50
B. 200
C. 400
D. 625
E. 800


Given: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{2}{{\frac{50}{100}}};

The ratio of baking soda to water is halved --> \frac{B}{W}=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{2}{100}=\frac{1}{100}=\frac{4}{400};

The ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled --> \frac{B}{P}=2*\frac{2}{50}=\frac{4}{50};

New ratio: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{4}{{\frac{50}{400}}} --> \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400} --> if P=2*50=100 then W=2*400=800.

Answer: E.


Dear Bunuel,
could u pls explain why this "2*50" to P and "2*400" is taken?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19083
Followers: 3399

Kudos [?]: 24843 [0], given: 2692

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 11:52
Expert's post
kashishh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
phoenix9801 wrote:
The Book does not show any answers. Hence I need to figure out if I have done them correctly or not. Please help me if you can. Would greatly appropriate it. Thanks.

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in a certain solution is 2:50:100. The solution will be altered so that the ratio of baking soda to water is halved while the ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled. How many cubic centimeters of water will this solution contain if the altered solution will contain 100 cubic centimeters of peroxide?

A. 50
B. 200
C. 400
D. 625
E. 800


Given: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{2}{{\frac{50}{100}}};

The ratio of baking soda to water is halved --> \frac{B}{W}=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{2}{100}=\frac{1}{100}=\frac{4}{400};

The ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled --> \frac{B}{P}=2*\frac{2}{50}=\frac{4}{50};

New ratio: \frac{B}{{\frac{P}{W}}}=\frac{4}{{\frac{50}{400}}} --> \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400} --> if P=2*50=100 then W=2*400=800.

Answer: E.


Dear Bunuel,
could u pls explain why this "2*50" to P and "2*400" is taken?


We have that \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400} and P=100=2*50. Now, if P=100 then in order \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400} to hold true W must be 800=2*400.

Or simply: \frac{P}{W}=\frac{50}{400}=\frac{100}{800}.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19083
Followers: 3399

Kudos [?]: 24843 [0], given: 2692

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 03:04
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All DS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=36
All PS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=57

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 394
Location: India
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 9

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 04:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
1. Let the volume of the original solution be v. The ratio of baking soda to peroxide to water is 2:50:100
2. v= 2x+50x+100x
3. The ratio of baking soda to peroxide is doubled and the ratio of baking soda to water is halved.
4 The volume is the same. v= 2y+25y+200y
5. We see if the peroxide is 25 cu.cm, water is 200 cu.cm. If peroxide is 100 cu.cm , water contained is 800 cu.cm
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 173
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 19:58
Ratio to BS/Perox/water = 2/50/100 ; If you halved the ratio of Perox / water =(50/100) *(1/2)= 25/100
At the same time the ratio of BS / Perox is doubled =2/25= 2*(2/50)
Hence the final answer = 2/ 25/100
When perox = 100 = 25*4
Therefore the water = 400

Thanks

:-D
_________________

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Re: The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2014, 19:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The ratio, by volume, of bleach to detergent to water in a megafan 3 04 Mar 2013, 07:05
25 Experts publish their posts in the topic The ratio, by volume, of soap to alcohol to water in a droopy57 9 16 Aug 2008, 12:57
The ratio, by volume, of soap to alcohol to water in a sondenso 9 23 Feb 2008, 18:17
The ratio, by volume, of soap to alcohol to water in a sudhanshu_arora 3 08 Dec 2006, 07:12
The ratio, by volume, of soap to alcohol to water in a rc1979 2 25 Jan 2005, 12:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The ratio, by volume, of baking soda to peroxide to water in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.