Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 46

The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 07:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:31) correct 39% (02:02) wrong based on 120 sessions
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday party is 104 to 7. Each child at the birthday party eats exactly x cupcakes (where x is a positive integer) and the adults attending the birthday party do not eat anything. If the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party, what must be true about the number of uneaten cupcakes?

I. It is a multiple of 2.
II. It is a multiple of 3.
III. It is a multiple of 7.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Dec 2012, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28842 [7] , given: 2854

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:
The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday party is 104 to 7. Each child at the birthday party eats exactly x cupcakes (where x is a positive integer) and the adults attending the birthday party do not eat anything. If the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party, what must be true about the number of uneaten cupcakes?

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III

Given that:
The ratio of cupcakes to children is 104 to 7 --> \frac{cupcakes}{children}=\frac{104k}{7k};

Each child eats exactly x cupcakes --> the number of cupcakes eaten 7kx and the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is 104k-7kx;

The number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children --> 104k-7kx<7k --> x>13\frac{6}{7} --> x=14 (notice that x cannot be more than 14 since in this case 7kx>104k, which would mean that more cupcakes were eaten than there were).

Now, if x=14, then the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is 104k-7k*14=6k, thus the number of uneaten cupcakes must be a multiple of both 2 and 3.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [1] , given: 165

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II and III

Assume there are 104 cupcakes and 7 children.

This line: "If the number of cupcakes that remain uneaten is less than the number of children at the birthday party,"

implies that 104 cupcakes are divided equally among 7 children till you get a remainder less than 7.
104/7 => Quotient is 14 (each child gets 14 cupcakes!) and remainder is 6. 6 is a multiple of 2 and 3.

What happens if there are 208 cupcakes and 14 children? (ratio is multiplied by 2)
The quotient will still be 14 and the remainder will be 12 (the remainder will be multiplied by 2)

104a = 7a*14 + 6a

The remainder 6a will always be divisible by 2 and 3.
Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28842 [0], given: 2854

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 03:52
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All Must or Could be True Questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 21:43
7 children eat 7x cupcakes.Let Z be the no. of cupcakes left, less than 7
7x+ z=104 7x=104-z. Now, 104-z must be more than 97 and must be divisible by 7, it can be only 98
7x=98+6 6 cupcakes left, so it is a multiplier of 2 and 3.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 20:31
What is being asked is what is the remainder and its factors.

Given that 104 is not a multiple of 7 AND given that the proportionality of the ratio will be kept (unless otherwise stated), no matter which (f) factor you apply:
You can express the ratio as a division with remainder (it is stated in the problem that R(f)<7(f)) to account for all the cupcacakes:

104(f)=7x(f) + R(f)
104(f)=7(14)(f) + 6(f)

The remainder is 6(f), so it must be a multiple of 2 and 3, no matter by which (f) the R (and the entire ratio) is multiplied. You can substitute the (f) for other numbers and 6 and (f) are, obviously, the factors of the remainder.
Expert Post
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 21:47
Expert's post
0<=104y-7xy<7y
0<=104-7x<7
13 6/7<x<=14 6/7
x=14

Uneaten:
104-7(14)=6 (mult. of 3 and 2, so D)

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Re: The ratio of cupcakes to children at a particular birthday   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2014, 21:47