Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ratio of evaporated water to the quantity of water left

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

The ratio of evaporated water to the quantity of water left [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 00:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

20% (00:00) correct 80% (01:18) wrong based on 5 sessions
Hi could you please help in this DS question - I can;t seem to understand it.

A water container is full. 10% of water evaporate everyday because of heat. If no one has removed from or added to it what will be the ratio of the quantities of water yesterday and today?

I.The ratio of evaporated water to the quantity of water left over after two days is 1:4

II.The quantity of water evaporated in the last two days is 300 gallons.

A) Statement (I) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (II) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (II) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (I) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) Each statement alone is sufficient.
E) Statement (I) and (II) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: A water container [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 11:24
rk21857 wrote:
Hi could you please help in this DS question - I can;t seem to understand it.

A water container is full. 10% of water evaporate everyday because of heat. If no one has removed from or added to it what will be the ratio of the quantities of water yesterday and today?

Hi,

this can't be a real DS question, since the question stem provides everything you need to answer the question (and statement (1) actually contradicts the info in the stem).

If 10% evaporates every day, then the ratio of "yesterday" to "today" will always be 100%:90% = 10:9.

After two days there will be 81% of the water left; statement (1) says that there will only be 80% left.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A water container [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 19:39
Hi Stuart - thanks for the reply.
Re: A water container   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2011, 19:39