Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Real GMAT Disaster

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 01:25
Hi,

I am sure most of you would have read about how bad or good real GMAT scores went. I want to share my experience too and request your suggestion.

Around August 2013, I started preparing for GMAT, my exam day was scheduled on 5th November, 2014. I spent around 2 hours on weekdays and 7- 8 hours on weekends. I used the following books:
- OG 13th Edition
- Kaplan premier
- Kaplan 800

I have taken the following GMAT practice tests (all timed and in almost real exam scenarios)
25.08.2013 - GMAT prep 1 580(44Q 27V)
- Kaplan Diagnostic 590 (45Q 27V)
- GMAT prep 1 (retake) 600(46Q 27V)
- Kaplan CAT 2 600
- Kaplan CAT 3 680 (49Q 27V)
- Kaplan CAT 4 630
- Kaplan CAT 5 660
- Kaplan CAT 1 (retake) 680
25.10.2013- MGMAT CAT 1 580 (44Q 27V)
02.11.2013- MGMAT CAT 2 680 (47Q 37V)
04.11.2013- GMAT prep 2 660(49Q 34V)

Real GMAT (05.11.2013)- 590 (44Q 27V). I was shocked to see my result. I could not believe how this score was possible.
I have decided that I will retake the exam. However, even if I take my exam in 31 days, I will still lose applying to some colleges. Taking the exam later would mean I lost my chance for admission in Fall 2014 and can only apply for Fall 2015 (as I found out PhD in Marketing donot have Spring intake in all coleeges)

Please suggest!

Also, looking back I realized, main problem I faced in real GMAT was that I was nervous all throughout- right from AWA to verbal; I could not concentrate. First of all in AWA, I barely finished revising my essay. In IR also, I could not focus on the problems and ended up not completing the last question. Due to this by the time the first break, I was already nervous. I tried concentrating on Quants. 10 minutes down the line, I realized that I am doing lot more calculations than I actually do. My confidence dropped further. At the end of Quants section, I knew things are going south. In verbal also, I was not sure of the answer choices and remembered none of the tips and tricks I learned or practised. And the end result was a disastrous 590.

Please suggest, when I can retake the exam and also what I can do to improve. I do not want to give up!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 22:28
Hi,

Please help in putting a strategy together for my next attempt in GMAT.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 10:03
This is indeed not a great news. I think there "must be" a 31 days gap between two successive attempts. So, yeah, if it means that you will be loosing out on some colleges, guess there is no option.
Intern
Intern

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 08:12
ayushman wrote:
This is indeed not a great news. I think there "must be" a 31 days gap between two successive attempts. So, yeah, if it means that you will be loosing out on some colleges, guess there is no option.

Thanks Ayushman! I guess I have no option. Any suggestion how I should prepare to score high?
Manager
Manager

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:12
I definitely do not believe I am competent enough to offer advice on this matter, since I am just in the process of preparing. I just wanted to let you know that apparently you can now "buy" 2 additional GMATPrep tests. So, during your preparation, you might want to try those out.
Intern
Intern

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:31
ayushman wrote:
I definitely do not believe I am competent enough to offer advice on this matter, since I am just in the process of preparing. I just wanted to let you know that apparently you can now "buy" 2 additional GMATPrep tests. So, during your preparation, you might want to try those out.

Thats great... from where do I get these?
All the best for your upcoming exam!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9455 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:59
Expert's post
ParamitaC wrote:
ayushman wrote:

Thats great... from where do I get these?
All the best for your upcoming exam!

www.mba.com - GMAC sells them or you may even buy them from within the GMAT Prep.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: The Real GMAT Disaster [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 07:41
bevlin761 wrote:
I guess I have no option. Any suggestion how I should prepare to score high?

Can you explain a bit more and then perhaps people can help. Absence of which options are you talking about.
Re: The Real GMAT Disaster   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2013, 07:41