Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 08:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:39) correct 70% (00:39) wrong based on 110 sessions
The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, will be revealed at tonight's city council meeting by the mayor and the council members.

A. The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens

B. The reason for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens

C. The reasons for the budget cut, of which there is dozens

D. The reason for the budget cuts, of which there are dozens

E. The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there are dozens

Source : PowerPrep

While I intuitively agree with the OA, I still see no grammar principles whatsoever that would exclude (D) from possible answers.
Upon consideration, however, I think I could explain why (D) would sound a bit unnatural.
What are your ideas?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 12:15
agitado wrote:
The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, will be revealed at tonight's city council meeting by the mayor and the council members.

While I intuitively agree with the OA, I still see no grammar principles whatsoever that would exclude (D) from possible answers.
Upon consideration, however, I think I could explain why (D) would sound a bit unnatural.
What are your ideas?

Well A,B and C are wrong - subject verb agreement.
between D and E.... Kinda tricky...
the which in both refers, ofcourse, to the budget cuts. so there are dozens of budget cuts, not dozens of reasons - i think thats the point here.
both sentences sounds good to me as well but i guess D is better than E because they want to emphasize the right use of which in their eyes...

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Intern
Intern

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 01:07
roygush wrote:
agitado wrote:
the which in both refers, ofcourse, to the budget cuts. so there are dozens of budget cuts, not dozens of reasons - i think thats the point here.
both sentences sounds good to me as well but i guess D is better than E because they want to emphasize the right use of which in their eyes...

But one could say that in (E) "which refers to "cuts" as well/
What am I missing?
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 04:38
Another one I can't be definitive on.

Between D&E, I see the 'of which there are dozens' as referring to the 'budget cuts', not 'reason(s)' so we can effectively take out the clause

for the budget cuts, of which there are dozens as self contained

and then look at what is left:

The reason will be revealed at tonight's city council meeting by the mayor and the council members

The reasons will be revealed at tonight's city council meeting by the mayor and the council members

Both of which work for me.

Is there an OE?

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 10:20
plumber250 wrote:

Is there an OE?

It is D, the sentence is from the Barron's book (which I personally do not like)
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 02:59
Why not (E) be the answer as explained by @@Plumber.

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 68

CAT Tests
Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 22:27
Can any one clear the confusion?

I can still see E is OK, than D.
Here is what i understood.

Step 1. The reasons will be revealed.
(Reasons for what?)
Step 2. The Reasons For the budget cuts,
(how many?)
Step 3. Dozen cuts or Dozens ( Dozen cuts, because, which is followed by immediate noun "budget cuts")
(So, are is justified)
Step 4. I AM STUCK HERE.

Should we use The reason, for whole bunch of budget cuts? Or The reasons for each budget cut, as there are dozens?

Correct me everywhere, where i made a mistake.
I am retaking my exam. I started right from scratch with SV Agreement being my first topic. :)

Learn the Values. Knowledge comes by itself.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 03:52
agitado wrote:

What are your ideas?

The main verb is "will", which is singular and should have a singular subject "reason". We can safely eliminate
A,C & E. From the remaining B & D - Using the word "which" refers to budget cuts, which require the use of "are". This eliminates B, and we
are left with D.
Please correct me if there are any flaws in my reasoning.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 14

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 04:24
agitado wrote:

What are your ideas?

As everyone agrees, the answer seems to be D.

But I feel "..of which" refers to the reason and NOT to the budget cuts.
There are dozens of reasons for the budget cuts. It does not mean that there are dozens of budget cuts.

The focus is on the reasons...The reasons are the ones that would be revealed, and "of which" indicates there are dozens of such reasons.

Let us think of a parallel example...
"The chair in the class, of which there are dozens.....blah blah blah"
Does the above statement mean there are dozens of chairs or dozens of classes? I believe the focus is on the chair and not on the class.
Although the singular term "chair" is used, "of which there are dozens" suggests there are multiple such singular "chair"(s).

Also, the word "reason" makes more sense than "reasons" since multiple instances of a singular term are being described after " of which.."

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1696 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 09:13
Expert's post
As far as I know, all these phrases such as - of which, by which, in which , for which, - wherein the relative pronoun' which' is followed by a preposition, will eventually and effectively mean just which( as without the preposition). Therefore I feel that the’ of which’ in the text refers to the cuts rather than the reasons. But of course, meaning wise, there can be theoretically dozens of reasons as there can be dozens of cuts too. But to cite dozens of reasons for dozens of cuts will rather be a little unusual for any budgeter.

Is the source Barrons or PowerPrep? . Incidentally what is this PowerPrep? I have heard of it only in GRE

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 00:08
Both D and E can be correct depending on what the author intends to tell. There is ambiguity here.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [1] , given: 185

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Kanusha,

This is in response to your PM.

Since the confusion is between choice D and E, here is my take.

Choice D is better than Choice E because “of which” in the latter can refer to both “The reasons” as well as “the budget cuts” because both these entities are in plural. Choice D removes this ambiguity because there is only one plural entity preceding this relative pronoun.

But I would still recommend everyone to stick to official sentences for practice. Questions from other sources are not representative questions and more often add to the confusion rather than helping us learn something.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 95

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens, [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 07:43
Edvento wrote:
As everyone agrees, the answer seems to be D.

But I feel "..of which" refers to the reason and NOT to the budget cuts.
There are dozens of reasons for the budget cuts. It does not mean that there are dozens of budget cuts.

The focus is on the reasons...The reasons are the ones that would be revealed, and "of which" indicates there are dozens of such reasons.

Let us think of a parallel example...
"The chair in the class, of which there are dozens.....blah blah blah"
Does the above statement mean there are dozens of chairs or dozens of classes? I believe the focus is on the chair and not on the class.
Although the singular term "chair" is used, "of which there are dozens" suggests there are multiple such singular "chair"(s).

Also, the word "reason" makes more sense than "reasons" since multiple instances of a singular term are being described after " of which.."

The question stem had be believing it was dozens of reasons. So I picked E.

After reading the replies, it's obvious it's not dozens of reasons. Consider the reason/reasons have not yet been revealed. That means we don't know how many reasons there are for the budget cuts.

I do not beg for kudos.

Re: The reasons for the budget cuts, of which there is dozens,   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2013, 07:43