Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 20:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:02) correct 48% (01:11) wrong based on 209 sessions
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not
buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and
banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as
they were even six months ago. Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning
above?
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
c) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
e) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the
past year.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: CR - Weaken - # 12 [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 09:29
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.--- Strengthen the argument
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.-Not relevant
c) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.-Hold, this proves that people still want to buy condos
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.-Very tempting but it does not have a strong connection with the premises as in choice c
e) Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the
past year.-Not relevant

Thus choice c is an answer.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 11:45
GetThisDone wrote:
The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun to taper off. Developers are not
buying land, contractors are finding themselves going without work for longer periods, and
banks are issuing fewer mortgages. People must not be as interested in buying new homes as
they were even six months ago. Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning
above?
A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months.
b) The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
d) The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
past year.

Wow, can't believe I got this one wrong. But well, let's see. My reasoning was..
First, the conclusion: "People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago" because of X,Y,Z in the stimulus.
Now what I thought inmediately after seeing (A) was it is not that people are not as interested in buying new houses, maybe they are but it is more expensive now, so they can't afford it. So (A) indicates a flaw in the argument.

Now answer (C) seems like a nice choice, but still the problem is that we can't actually assume that these condos are new homes, if they are existing ones then it does not weaken the conclusion at all

I wonder what is wrong in my reasoning...
Experts please advice
Thanks

Last edited by jlgdr on 03 Mar 2014, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 00:05
It looks like weakening question, why is it placed as "flaw". It must be trick of developer. I also chose A
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 32

Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
GetThisDone wrote:
above?
past year.

Wow, can't believe I got this one wrong. But well, let's see. My reasoning was..

First, the conclusion: "People must not be as interested in buying new homes as they were even six months ago" because of X,Y,Z in the stimulus.
Now what I thought inmediately after seeing (A) was it is not that people are not as interested in buying new houses, maybe they are but it is more expensive now, so they can't afford it. So (A) indicates a flaw in the argument.

Now answer (C) seems like a nice choice, but still, I wonder what is wrong in my reasoning...
Experts please advice
Thanks

I am no expert but I an try and differentiate why C is a better choice than A.

A) Interest rates for home mortgages have increased significantly over the past six months. ---- Interest rates for home mortgages have increased does indicate a flaw but not as explicitly as option C. But you have to assume that the people interest depends on the interest rates. I think this is not stated anywhere in the argument and hence a bit too much to assume. It is not necessary that people buy homes with the help of a home mortgage.

C) Sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.---- This directly indicates the flaw because if the sales of condos have increased more people are still interested in buying new homes. Perhaps there is are a lot of available apartments in the market right now so people are still interested in buying houses. An excess supply could also be a reason why developers are not buying land and contractors are out of work. And perhaps people do not need banks to buy condos.
These were all just hypothetical situations but it shows that if people are buying condominiums, they are still interested in buying new homes.

And of course B, D, E are out of scope.

Hope this helps. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 56

Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 00:25
Interesting. I also selected A over C because C does not contradict the underlying assumption, it contradicts the conclusion itself. Which is little bit weird for a CR flaw question.

Experts please comment?

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: The recent boom in new home construction has finally begun   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2014, 00:25