Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 20

The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 20:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

93% (02:08) correct 7% (01:43) wrong based on 109 sessions
The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence, much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt sales of big ticket items such as automobiles.

A. much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt
B. which was much lower than is typical for this time of year, hurting
C. because it was much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt
D. being much lower than typically is for this time of year, hurting
E. having been much lower than is typical for this time of year and hurt
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 03:52
agdimple333 wrote:
The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence, much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt sales of big ticket items such as automobiles.

Please visit http://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-requiring ... 95594.html
Believe ans is B

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 38

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:19
i think "D" ?
We need a modifier (typically) to modify the adjective "lower" . Just my 2 cents.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:59
Ivan91 wrote:
i think "D" ?
We need a modifier (typically) to modify the adjective "lower" . Just my 2 cents.

However, in this choice "being" is wrong because it makes senses that prices and consumer confidences go down. If price go down, it cannot hurt the sales of big item such as car. In contrast, in choice B, WHICH modifies only CONSUMER CONFIDENCES that really hurt the sales if CONSUMER CONFIDENCES decline.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1592 [0], given: 249

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 22:32
Expert's post
We can eliminate choices A and C, because, the relative pronoun –which - modifies the noun – year -, an absurd match.

We must select either the present participial hurting or the verb – hurt-.

We can not pick E because of the self contradiction within the clause; when we use a singular verb - is typical -, then we must match it up with another singular verb – hurts- in the second arm, rather than the plural verb - hurt- The subject of the sentence is the singular decrease rather than the plural - rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence –

We now have B and D. In D, the usage of being does denote a sense of ongoing, while it should not. Because the decease has been recent and is over. If it were to continue, we would rather call it the current decrease

This leaves us with B, not a satisfactory one too. The shift of tense from present perfect to past tense was is grammatically undesirable. Has been lower would have been better and parallel IMO.

All said and done, B perhaps, may be the final compulsion

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 22:56
Shoumik wrote:
I think its D. whats the OA?

Give your choices without any explanation will not make sense. You should contribute to this topic by showing off your reasoning why you choose this one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 01:19
The answer can't be "D."

The thing that is lower in the question is Consumer Confidence, which requires an appropriate modifier, which in this case is "which." (Point stressed enough? :))

Answer should be B.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 03:07
agdimple333 wrote:

Always remember the golden rule "Which refers to the word preceded by it"
A and C are immediately out as year cant hurt the sales.
Having been much lower is too complex and wordy besides that hurt is not parrallel with having thus strike off "E"
Eventhough "B" looks a perfect answer choice use of "was" is dubious as the tense used here is present continous thus "B" is gone and "D" should be the answer.

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 03:13
daagh wrote:
We can eliminate choices A and C, because, the relative pronoun –which - modifies the noun – year -, an absurd match.

We can not pick E because of the self contradiction within the clause; when we use a singular verb - is typical -, then we must match it up with another singular verb – hurts- in the second arm, rather than the plural verb - hurt- The subject of the sentence is the singular decrease rather than the plural - rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence –

We now have B and D. In D, the usage of being does denote a sense of ongoing, while it should not. Because the decease has been recent and is over. If it were to continue, we would rather call it the current decrease

This leaves us with B, not a satisfactory one too. The shift of tense from present perfect to past tense was is grammatically undesirable. Has been lower would have been better and parallel IMO.

Doesn't being refer to consumer confidence??

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 03:30
agdimple333 wrote:

Can friends here explain why "is" needed? I think the question has something wrong?

Thanks

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 17:48
MSDHONI wrote:
daagh wrote:

Doesn't being refer to consumer confidence??

I think sticking point is not whether "being" is referring to consumer confidence or not but rather, the tense is wrong. Also, the answer choices are clauses interjecting additional information. You need a transitive word such as which? :?:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 3

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 22:06
agdimple333 wrote:

Between B and D

IMO D.

Being works as a verbal that modifies consumer confidence, and hurting modifies plumeting consumer confidence and rising energy prices.

I would be satisfied with B if it did not had the subject verb agreement issue - "rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence" make a plural subject, which needs the plural verb "were". If B refered to both, as "which were more extreme than typical for this time of the year" I would have picked B. Nevertheless the rest of the answer only talks about plumeting consumer confidence. "Which was more lower than is from my perspective has a tense issue.

Coments please.
OA?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 08:38
Expert's post
1`First thing, the present participle – being –in choice D, separated by a comma, has to modify the entire clauses before and not just the noun it touches. Please try and see whether, modifying the entire clause makes any reasonable meaning

2. Which refers to what? Is it just the plummeting consumer confidence or both increasing energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence? The increasing energy prices being lower than what is typical for this time of the year is rather oxymoronic. Therefore, it cannot refer to both factors but only the plummeting consumer confidence. Hence the use of singular verb is acceptable.

We can ignore the doubts whether we need to use the verb is typical, since it is part of all the choices.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 00:51
I see the question little differently. We can read the statement as below. If phrase in bold are in continuation, we can very well use which for "rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence".

A. much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt - looks correct
B. which was much lower than is typical for this time of year, hurting - "rising energy prices and plum...consumer confidence" hurting sales sounds odd
C. because it was much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt - second phrase is not a reason, so "because ..." doesnt make sense
D. being much lower than typically is for this time of year, hurting - passive voice
E. having been much lower than is typical for this time of year and hurt - passive voice and changing the meaning

Feel free to correct me.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 02:48
Expert's post
If A were right the relative pronoun 'which' should be referring to the compound and plural object nouns namely rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence However, they are both said to be lower than normal for this time year, meaning that the energy prices did not rise as much as they do normally. This is a ppositive factor and therefore it can not be alluded to both the decrease in revenues and sales. Is the paradox evident ?

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 75

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 06:30

Meaning:
The decrease in revenue
Reasons: 1. rising energy 2. plummeting consumer confidence
reasoning has to be introduced,
One reasoning as hinted by the author: "something" got lower than last year,the same time.
Resulted in the decrease in the sale of high cost items such as automobiles.

which is modifying "year"-incorrect
which is modifying "confidence".We know that plummeting consumer confidence is one of the reason of the decrease sales, so introduction of "hurting"(verb+ing modifier is correct)because "hurting"will modify the whole clause-correct
[color=#0000ff]which
is modifying "year"- incorrect
being is introducing wrong voice-incorrect
incorrect tense-having been

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 07:52
Can anybody clarify for option B: which is referring to confidence or 'rising energy prices and plummeting consumer confidence' or revenue.

Is this an example of "which" referring to a far-away noun revenue as per e-gmat article.
modification-by-noun-noun-modifiers-137292.html#p1112971

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 08:11
agdimple333 wrote:

CDE are obvious wrong choices for "which" in C, for "being" in D and for "having been" in E.

Its between A and B. I am considering B for "which" as modifying phrase in A is wrong.

So it should be B...
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 09:14
Expert's post
The verb that follows which is singular and therefore which must refer to a singular noun, which is the confidence. If it were confidence and prices, then the verb should be were. So, which refers to the noun it touches namely the singular confidence and is perfectly acceptable.

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 543

The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:19

A much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt
B which was much lower than is typical for this time of year, hurting
C because it was much lower than is typical for this time of year, which hurt
D being much lower than typically is for this time of year, hurting
E having been much lower than is typical for this time of year and hurt

Please Explain! source Grockit

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by Zarrolou on 08 May 2013, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
The recent decrease in revenue has been attributed to rising   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 06:19