Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent dramatic increase in commuter airline crashes is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The recent dramatic increase in commuter airline crashes is [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 20:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The recent dramatic increase in commuter airline crashes is caused in large part by pilot inexperience. As a major growth industry, the commuter airlines have recently had a great increase in the demand for experienced pilots. It is impossible to define and assess pilot experience, however. For example, someone with 1000 hours of flight experience as an instructor in Arizona, where the weather is good, cannot be compared to someone with 1000 hours’ experience as a night cargo pilot in the stormy northeastern United States.
The author’s conclusion that the dramatic increase in commuter airline crashes is caused by pilot inexperience is most weakened by the fact that the author has
(A) argued that it is impossible to measure “pilot experienceâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 21:05
I will go for B... author says that demand is more for experienced pilots, however he goes to onto say it is difficult to measure... which is not related...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 22:23
I think its A. The author says that the crashes are due to inexperience but also says that it is impossible to measure experience.

If it is impossible to measure experience, how did the author determine that the pilots involved in the crashes were inexperienced.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

B it is [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 23:54
(B) used an example that does not relate logically to the point being illustrated

First author says that most crashes happened due to inexperienced pilots. Then, he proceeds with the statement about increase in experienced pilots recruitment. Example that he gives supports the notion that experience of a pilot cannot be identified. It makes the whole argument invalid. How could he say then that most crashes happened due to inexperienced pilots and that companies hired experienced pilots somehow without actually being able to assess their experience.

Thus, B it is.

brainstorm

Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 23:58
ncprasad wrote:
I think its A. The author says that the crashes are due to inexperience but also says that it is impossible to measure experience.

If it is impossible to measure experience, how did the author determine that the pilots involved in the crashes were inexperienced.

I am with A too. B does not strengthen the conclusion. It can be irrelevant to conclusion. But I dont think it will weaken the conclusion.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 00:04
A !
From LSAT ?

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 04:14
A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 03:48
very tough one.

apart from A) and B), E) also looks possible answer to me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2007, 09:41
'A'

Author blames on 'inexperienced' Pilot, on the other hand it is impossible to measure experience.
  [#permalink] 18 Feb 2007, 09:41