Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1589 [0], given: 249

The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:38
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:14) correct 56% (01:27) wrong based on 429 sessions
The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant spell of rains, which, weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and which were considered as the worst in the area for nearly a century

(A) Pakistan were caused by an incessant spell of rains, which weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and which were considered as

(B) Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and they consider

©Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists forecast to continue into late next month and that they consider

(D)Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists forecast to continue into late next month and that they consider as

(E)Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that is forecast to continue by weather scientists into late next month and that is considered
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:47
who can explain what's wrong with B?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
imania wrote:
who can explain what's wrong with B?

(B) Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and they consider

the wrong tense is used here, have forecast implies that the scientists started the forecasting in the past and they continue doing so in the present. Also remember the rule that perfect is only used when doing otherwise will create an ambiguity regarding the time of the action or distort meaning when not used.

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:51
Can someone explain in C role of "that" with the sentence.
I went for B but I understand why I was wrong, but not satisfied with "C"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 14:56
In order to maintain parralism, 2 parallel clauses should start with the same word.

Since the first clause begins with that ( This is because 'That' here modifies the noun 'Spell' ) so to maintain parallism the scond parallel clause needs to start with 'that'.

However can someone explain why consider 'Consider as' is incorrect .... i.e I am confused between option C and D

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 19:23
devashish wrote:
In order to maintain parralism, 2 parallel clauses should start with the same word.

Since the first clause begins with that ( This is because 'That' here modifies the noun 'Spell' ) so to maintain parallism the scond parallel clause needs to start with 'that'.

However can someone explain why consider 'Consider as' is incorrect .... i.e I am confused between option C and D

consider as is just unidiomatic. Consider X Y is the correct idiom, it's worth remembering because it is quite a common idiom.

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 5

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Rafi,
Yes that makes sense, Consider X,Y is the correct idiom ... I guess I missed it as I could not put it in that format.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 05:46
I choose C.

amma4u wrote:
Can someone explain in C role of "that" with the sentence.
I went for B but I understand why I was wrong, but not satisfied with "C"

"that" is required to make it parallel
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 14:35
good point about idiom Consider X Y.....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 28

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
I chose D...good point about the idiom..

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 07:09
i stuck with C and D. We should remember idiom "consider X Y"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 23:31
Consider as is unidiomatic.. its always consider.

Hope it helps!!

devashish wrote:

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 23:42
daagh wrote:
The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant spell of rains, which, weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and which were considered as the worst in the area for nearly a century
(A) Pakistan were caused by an incessant spell of rains, which weather scientists have forecast to continue into late next month and which were considered as

(C)Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists forecast to continue into late next month and that they consider

(D)Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists forecast to continue into late next month and that they consider as

(E)Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that is forecast to continue by weather scientists into late next month and that is considered

C. consider is better than "consider as". Read this in SC(Manhattan)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 600 to 700 level [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 09:15
daagh wrote:

©Pakistan have been caused by an incessant spell of rains, a spell that weather scientists forecast to continue into late next month and that they consider

Splits
1) considered as X vs considered X (Considered X is correct) So, (A) and (D) are out.
2) Pakistan were caused vs Pakistan have been caused (both possible)
3) Parallelism, so (B) is out
4) active vs passive ,so (E) is out

Only (C) uses "considered X", maintains ||sm, and uses active voice.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 01:08
was confused b/w C and D ....finally fell with the idiom consider x y.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 02:47
daagh wrote:

consider as is un-idiomatic. So, eliminate A and D.

Choice B is run-on sentence. Choice E is passive voice, we should try to avoid. The only choice is C

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 22:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The recent floods in Pakistan were caused by an incessant   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2014, 22:24