Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1596 [0], given: 249

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 01:50
Expert's post
Essentially the issue is not primarily about the use of as well as or along with.
In A the lack of main verb is the issue.
In B, the issue is about //ism between caused by and ((caused) along with; caused in the second arm is elliptical. Caused by X as well as by Y is the correct version. There is a cause and effect factor here; along with cn not bring about cause and effect so well that //ism suffers not only structurally but also logially.
In C the above two issues have been solved.
In D, the issue is S- V agreement between ‘a spurt’ and ‘have caused’.
In E, the issue is that the tense of the verb has been changed to past tense from the original present perfect and once again a S- V mismatch between heavy truck movement and were

So the issue is indeed complex and not restricted to as well as or along with, which by virtue o being prepositional phrases are nothing much different in the given context.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 07:36
i think C is clear enough , but took me god damn 5:19 min lolz

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 74

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 07:55
Ok I get it now.. I thought both X and Y contribute to the cause together, thats why the use of "along with". But the issue here is that both X and Y contribute independently to the cause..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 13:33
whats the source of this question ?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1596 [0], given: 249

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 19:37
Expert's post
Source is my own personal construction, posted only in gmatclub . You will not find this elsewhere.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 22:33
+1 for C.Use of was and as well as made C jump out of the rest of the options.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 05:24
The biggest SC i have ever read.......and happy that i got it.....Hurray

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
IMO C 8-)

parallelism by X as well by Y.....

and was caused by makes it correct passive sentence...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 61

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 12:11
Is there any strategy to break a long SC question and focus on the error part?
I find it really difficult. It took 8 minutes of serious analysis only to mark a wrong answer. Please help me here.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 22:12
This question got me worrying about a couple of things.
a. how to answer such questions in 90 seconds.
b. How to make splits in such lengthy sentences.

Any pointers on how to answer such questions please?

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1596 [2] , given: 249

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well let me give my perception of how to handle long passages. Firstly, in most of the cases, it is no more a ploy than to intimidate the candidate. Most of them are decided by simple and basic grammar principles such as S-V number mismatch, basic tense and comparisons, fragmentations and run-ons. I have not found most of them go deep into meaning. Sometimes the wrong choices omit some part of the original passge and to tht extent alter the meaning.

However, the basic approach will be to strip the passage naked by getting rid of the unnecessary modifier phrases and reduce the bulk.

For example, let us take the case in question.

The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

Now in this case, if you try to match the subject of spate with its due verb, you will see that you do not have one. So now, you search a working verb. B and C are properly verbed by was caused. So keep them.

In D, the subject is the singular spurt, but the verb is ‘having caused’.

In E, the subject is movement and the verb ‘was caused’ (as well as has no role here)

Now between the B and C, B misses the ‘by’ parallelism. C is perfect.

Therefore, no need to worry about coal trade or traffic jam or the maintenance delay, those modifiers purposely stacked for distracting

Another example:

Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by over cutting trees and farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in population and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a worldwide ecological crisis.
though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in population

though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in population

though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases.

with some protective measures, like establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries that were taken decades ago, great increases in population

with some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great population increases

What is the verb for the subordinate clauses starting with ‘though some protective measures’? You will see that only choice B has a working verb and hence that is the choice.

Example 2
In attempting to solve the problems caused by a lowering of the price of oil, oil companies operating in the North Sea have taken a variety of approaches, which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently from smaller fields, and finding innovative ways to cut the cost of building and operating platforms.

which includes their reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently

which includes reducing employment, using new technology to be more efficient in pumping oil

which include reducing employment, using new technology to pump oil more efficiently

which include the reduction of employment, their using new technology to pump oil more efficiently

including a reduction of employment, their use of new technology to be more efficient at pumping oil

Even a cursory glance will make out that it is approaches which include, an not includes. So A and B are out; then it is simple list parallelism among C, D and E, you can see C fits the bill easily.

Take away; If you see a big passage, fall back on grammar first.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 37

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 16:54
I have never seen a SC problem this long. Isn't this a bit unrealistic? Either way, I read each sentence and knocked it down to C and E. Re-read each, caught the cause/causes thing in E and went with C.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:05
IMO C, A lacks a "was", B "along with" distorts the meaning, D,E is not structurally readable. Hence C.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 23:06
spent 1.55 min and chosen the wrong one that is B. i was confused between B and C. indeed a very good question and i have fallen in the maze of words

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:35
Thanks for such amazing explanations.. please post a few more such questions if you can.

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 02:57
Real test of timing issues! :) thanks for posting!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 19:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 193

Re: The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 11:34
all answer choices are wrong.

1. use of due to is not correct.
2. by spurt in traffic in passive voice is not correct. (refer chapter 5, MGMAT SC) better because or through would have been used rather than by.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 480 Q31 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 45

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 23:40
brandy96 wrote:
I got it wrong with A. Can someone explain the difference between 'along with' and 'as well as'.

Both are grammatically correct. However, when you end up in a situation where there are two options and both are grammatically correct, chose the option that is more closer/similar to the original sentence.
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic)   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 23:40