Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1593 [14] , given: 249

The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (03:05) correct 51% (02:12) wrong based on 661 sessions
The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(A) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(B) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing- Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

C) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(D) A spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly have caused the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

(E) Heavy truck movement carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as the delayed response by the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly were the cause of the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 19 Oct 2010, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 06:48
A) - right ams
B) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
C) verb( was caused by ) - wrong
D) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - have caused - wrong
E) traffic jam by illegal trade as well as delay in repairing - were( was ) the cause - wrong

My ans - A)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(A) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(B) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing- Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

C) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains

(D) A spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly have caused the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

(E) Heavy truck movement carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as the delayed response by the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly were the cause of the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway

Very good question. Got me into serious analysis of the sentence. I think the core of the sentence is to maintain parallelism and Subject-Verb agreement. Notice how the subject and verb are hidden from each other. If you pay close attention in maintaining the agreement between Subject and Verb, the correct answer will simply pop up.
The correct answer is A.
E is out because of S-V disareement "were the cause" should be "were the causes".
D is out because of faulty parallelism. Notice the use of "by" in the second clause. Its not required.
B is out because of parallelism and sentence structure. Pay close attention to Subject-Verb disagreement. "the recent spate of traffic jams" calls for a plural verb instead of the singular verb "was". Incorrect.
C is eliminated for the same reason. Subject-Verb disagreement. "was" should be "were"
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1593 [1] , given: 249

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Can I give you small hint? What is the actual verb in each of these choices? You will have a great surprise.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:15
daagh wrote:
Can I give you small hint? What is the actual verb in each of these choices? You will have a great surprise.

God!!! How could I miss that?
The answer is C. The entire sentnce is in simple past. "Was caused" is correct and "by" is required to maintain parallelism. Answe choice B misses the word "by" and thats why its incorrect. Hope I am correct now.
Also, A is wrong because its a fragment. "Caused" is not a working verb. It should be "was caused".

Last edited by shekharvineet on 19 Oct 2010, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:19
i think it is E - the movement blah blah AND the response blah blah (both nouns) were the cause of the jams...

"were the cause of" seems ok - "as well as" --- they were together the cause. Had it been "And" instead of "as well as" then "causes" would have been required --- but use of "as well as" requires the use of singular - "cause".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
OA pls. Is it C? has to be or else I am really missing something.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:29
No E isn't right actually - "as well as" requires singular - so cause is fine but it needs "was" and not "were" to go with it --- so yeah E is out... Yup, I think it is C...
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 249

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:35
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 104

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 17:41
Good one Daagh! I took a long time to even read through the choices but am glad I got it right. I am tagging this as a 700+ question because of the tricky noun thing and long long sentences which make it difficult to see the split.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 70

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 01:02
This question also jammed me, I took 3 min to solve it but I was lucky to get correct answer.Good question. +1 to you Daagh
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 00:47
I guessed C without reading any of the choices and got lucky. Questions like this end up taking me a ton of time to complete since I keep second-guessing myself.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 37

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
Straight C.
Was caught in between C and B but "Along with" in B is wrong when compared with "As well as".

IMO C

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 03:54
A time consuming yet good question. Chose the correct answer this time! :)
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 13:26
daagh wrote:

(A) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains -- Doesn't have a verb in the first half of the sentence. Hence Wrong.

(B) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing- Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains"due to lack of government control enroute along with the delayed response of maintenance agencies" - Usage of Along with is wrong here.

C) The recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway reportedly was caused by a spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains - Correct !

(D) A spurt in traffic by heavy trucks carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as by the delayed response of the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly have caused the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway - Awkward sentence formation towards the end.

(E) Heavy truck movement carrying coal and heading to Beijing as part of the illegal trade in coal that has flourished due to lack of government control enroute as well as the delayed response by the maintenance agencies to undertake timely repairs to the roads damaged in the recent incessant rains reportedly were the cause of the recent spate of traffic jams on Beijing-Tibet highway- Awkward sentence formation towards the end.

took me 3 whole minutes to answer this one. Good Question.

My Answer would be C for the above reasons.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 21:09
I was confused between B & C.
and went for B. :(
Can anyone please explain why is "as well as" correct here not "along with".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 20:15
A- is run on .with out helping verb a passive construction
B--is solved issue,but parallelism issue. caused by X.........along with y .
C- is solved both the issues and perfectly construct
D- convoluting the meaning and unclear in meaning
E-ditto
C is winner here.i took 3 min.but get the C at last
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:46
trick is to read A,B and C together.

Was ...along with are wrong usages in A and B. C is clean.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 13:47
Does the question essentially boil down to the uses of "along with" and "as well as"? If yes then could someone please explain why "along with" is incorrect?

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 18:18
I got it wrong with A. Can someone explain the difference between 'along with' and 'as well as'.
Re: The Great Chinese Jam ( traffic)   [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 18:18