Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recently negotiated North American Free Trade Agreement

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

The recently negotiated North American Free Trade Agreement [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 23:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The recently negotiated North American Free Trade Agreement among Canada, Mexico, and the United States is misnamed, because it would not result in truly free trade. Adam Smith, the economist who first articulated the principles of free trade, held that any obstacle placed in the way of the free movement of goods, investment, or labor would defeat free trade. So since under the agreement workers would be restricted by national boundaries from seeking the best conditions they could find, the resulting obstruction of the flow of trade would, from a free-trade perspective, be harmful.

The argument proceeds by

(A) ruling out alternatives
(B) using a term in two different senses
(C) citing a nonrepresentative instance
(D) appealing to a relevant authority
(E) responding to a different issue from the one posed
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 143 [3] , given: 0

Re: CR: North American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi reply2spg,

Explanation:
--------------------
(A) ruling out alternatives ---> It's just opposing the Free Trade Agreement. No alternatives have been provided and hence, no ruling out of alternatives comes into picture.

(B) using a term in two different senses ---> IMO, no term has been used in two different senses; it's nonsense.

(C) citing a nonrepresentative instance ---> It's not a case of nonrepresentative instance; he's nowhere trying to distort data. He's only citing an expert opinion.

(D) appealing to a relevant authority ---> This is my choice but it's more based on process of elimination. As far as reasoning is concerned, we can say that the author is using an authority (here Adam Smith) to convince someone for something. So, we can say he's appealing to someone. In the first sentence (...it would not result in truly free trade) also, the excerpt hints that he's trying to state his stand (to someone).

(E) responding to a different issue from the one posed ---> He's not responding to any issue. He's trying to put forth his own stand. Also, no other issue has been posed.
--------------------

I found it tough. Anyways, as we have to select the best from the given choices, I'll go for option D.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR: North American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 02:57
reply2spg wrote:
The recently negotiated North American Free Trade Agreement among Canada, Mexico, and the United States is misnamed, because it would not result in truly free trade. Adam Smith, the economist who first articulated the principles of free trade, held that any obstacle placed in the way of the free movement of goods, investment, or labor would defeat free trade. So since under the agreement workers would be restricted by national boundaries from seeking the best conditions they could find, the resulting obstruction of the flow of trade would, from a free-trade perspective, be harmful.

The argument proceeds by

(A) ruling out alternatives
(B) using a term in two different senses
(C) citing a nonrepresentative instance
(D) appealing to a relevant authority
(E) responding to a different issue from the one posed

D is the best

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: North American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 07:51
Agree with Technext

+1 for the wonderful explanation
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: North American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 09:18
Technext, another +1 frm me.
U explained wonderfully.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: North American Free Trade [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 11:54
+1 to you.....yeah..no need to tell that OA is D
Technext wrote:
Hi reply2spg,

Explanation:
--------------------
(A) ruling out alternatives ---> It's just opposing the Free Trade Agreement. No alternatives have been provided and hence, no ruling out of alternatives comes into picture.

(B) using a term in two different senses ---> IMO, no term has been used in two different senses; it's nonsense.

(C) citing a nonrepresentative instance ---> It's not a case of nonrepresentative instance; he's nowhere trying to distort data. He's only citing an expert opinion.

(D) appealing to a relevant authority ---> This is my choice but it's more based on process of elimination. As far as reasoning is concerned, we can say that the author is using an authority (here Adam Smith) to convince someone for something. So, we can say he's appealing to someone. In the first sentence (...it would not result in truly free trade) also, the excerpt hints that he's trying to state his stand (to someone).

(E) responding to a different issue from the one posed ---> He's not responding to any issue. He's trying to put forth his own stand. Also, no other issue has been posed.
--------------------

I found it tough. Anyways, as we have to select the best from the given choices, I'll go for option D.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext
Re: CR: North American Free Trade   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2009, 11:54