Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 11:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

18% (02:18) correct 82% (01:01) wrong based on 24 sessions
The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not have the resources to prosecute all of the individuals who illegally download music from the Internet. Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited, the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music.

The answer to which of the following questions would best help evaluate the accuracy of the conclusion above?
a)Will recording industry lawyers dedicate the majority of their time to prosecuting those who illegally download music?
b)Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?
c)Do many individuals who illegally download songs share their music files with other Internet users?
d)Will new Internet security technology permit the recording industry to more quickly and easily identify individuals who illegally download music?
e)Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?

shall provide answer after a consensus.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 14:43
I guess it is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 18:08
I am for B.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 18:32
IMO B. OA pls

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 22:07
Kindly give an explanation for your answer.
Answer seems to be (B), but that is not the right answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 03:00
it should be B coz the conclusion refers to a NUMBER of individuals and answer B is also about a number ( majority, minority )so I guess it's B

I'm a beginner sorry for my poor english
Intern
Intern

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 07:00
OA is E
Source:manhattan
Tag-700-800 level question
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:24
I went for E.
I think all agree we're struggling between B & E

B is very attractive, in B if the answer to the question is No, that support the argument, if YES, it does not weaken the argument necessarily, you know because we are not sure that they ones who will be charged, are those minority that are responsible. got it?
If we were sure the ones at the court are main criminal we might have said the B best evaluates the argument.
I think in evaluation of arguments, YES or NO should make a difference, in B , given that the answer is yes, it has no impact on argument for the reason mentioned above :)

however, in E
if the answer is YES, this would weakens the conclusion.
if No, supports the conclusion.

helped????
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78711

CAT Tests
Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:35
B or E
"Many people illegally download music" is a fact and hence can not be questioned. So B can not be the answer.
=> E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 01:20
aman1213 wrote:
The recording industry is fighting a losing battle: it simply does not have the resources to prosecute all of the individuals who illegally download music from the Internet. Because the number of individuals who will be charged with a crime is so limited, the actions of the recording industry will have a minimal impact on the number of people who illegally download music.

The answer to which of the following questions would best help evaluate the accuracy of the conclusion above?
a)Will recording industry lawyers dedicate the majority of their time to prosecuting those who illegally download music?
b)Is a small minority of individuals responsible for the majority of illegal song downloads?
c)Do many individuals who illegally download songs share their music files with other Internet users?
d)Will new Internet security technology permit the recording industry to more quickly and easily identify individuals who illegally download music?
e)Will the threat of prosecution alter the behavior of those who illegally download music?

shall provide answer after a consensus.

Why NO Reasons are posted along with what you think ??
I go with E. My Reasons are:

Premise- Recording industry does not have enough resources to prosecute all individuals who download music illegally resulting in less people being charged for the crime .
Conclusion- Actions of the Industry will have minimal impact on the individuals who download illegally.

I think this is an Assumption question. As the question stem asks the assumption wihich links the conclusionto the premise to evaluate the conclusion.

Considering it as an Assumption question, using the Negate Test... On negating Option E - If the threat of prosecution does not alter the behavior of the Individuals who download illegal music... then the Conclusion falls apart

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 5

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
To add to the above, Option B is inherrently incorrect as The premise itself states that the Industry does not have the resources to Prosecute all the Offenders ... implying that there are way too many people who download illegaly, hence the difficulty in prosecuting them.

Option B ... goes against the premise itself as it says that only a small minority is responsible for majority of downloads ( thus implying that the people who download illegally are not many). In addition on negating this option there is no effect on the conclusion. Hence the option is incorrect.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 28

Re: try this 1 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 03:38
This post received
KUDOS
Though was a little unsure, went for Option E.

The reason being that answer to that particular question, whether yes or no will help validate the conclusion. This is not true with other options.

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Re: try this 1   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2010, 03:38