Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The reforms to improve the quality of public education that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

The reforms to improve the quality of public education that [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 13:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
10. The reforms to improve the quality of public education that have been initiated on the part of suppliers of public education have been insufficient. Therefore, reforms must be demanded by consumers. Parents should be given government vouchers with which to pay for their children's education and should be allowed to choose the schools at which the vouchers will be spent. To attract students, academically underachieving schools will be forced to improve their academic offerings.

The argument assumes that

(A) in selecting schools parents would tend to prefer a reasonable level of academic quality to greater sports opportunities or more convenient location
(B) improvement in the academic offerings of schools will be enforced by the discipline of the job market in which graduating students compete.
(C) There is a single best way to educate students
(D) Children are able to recognize which schools are better and would influence their parents' decisions.
(E) Schools would each improve all of their academic offerings and would not tend to specialize in one particular field to the exclusion of others.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 16:20
I will go with choice E.

If we negate choice E, then we have that schools will improve only one field and do nothing to the rest. If schools improve just one field, then they can attract students interested in that field (without improving any other fields). As a result, the entire argument that schools will have to improve all their academic offerings falls apart.

Choice A is close but choice E is much better.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 16:31
I will go with choice E.

If we negate choice E, then we have that schools will improve only one field and do nothing to the rest. If schools improve just one field, then they can attract students interested in that field (without improving any other fields). As a result, the entire argument that schools will have to improve all their academic offerings falls apart.

Choice A is close but choice E is much better.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 18:41
10. The reforms to improve the quality of public education that have been initiated on the part of suppliers of public education have been insufficient. Therefore, reforms must be demanded by consumers. Parents should be given government vouchers with which to pay for their children's education and should be allowed to choose the schools at which the vouchers will be spent. To attract students, academically underachieving schools will be forced to improve their academic offerings.

The argument assumes that

(A) in selecting schools parents would tend to prefer a reasonable level of academic quality to greater sports opportunities or more convenient location
(B) improvement in the academic offerings of schools will be enforced by the discipline of the job market in which graduating students compete. Out of scope
(C) There is a single best way to educate students
(D) Children are able to recognize which schools are better and would influence their parents' decisions. Possible answer
(E) Schools would each improve all of their academic offerings and would not tend to specialize in one particular field to the exclusion of others. This is a a restatement of the conclusion

My pick on this one will be D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 07:05
I will go with A. vouchers are given to parents and parents has the ability to make a decision. More than how a school is going to respond to the program - what choice does the parents get out of the 'voucher' program is what is assumed. In other words the drive is from the consumers(here parents) and they would have broadbased options to exercise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 10:08
Conclusion for the question stem is as under
To attract students, academically underachieving schools will be forced to improve their academic offerings

Support
Parents will choose that school that is doing academically well and will spend their vouchers in that school

Cut short to choices A,C and D as answer choices.
My choice is A, as A bridges the gap between the conclusion and the support.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 12:18
A)

A correctly states the assumption that leads to "parents deciding on academic performance" when given a chance to decide.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2004, 17:22
Wow this one broke my back. Took 3 mins and still got the choice D, which i now see is wrong.

I agree with A. But initially i had discounted A because it tended to compare academics with sport and location etc and it seemed to me like some irrelevant stuff. However, when I read it closely I realized it's the crux.

What's the OA by btw.. although I am pretty positive it ought to be A.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2004, 21:30
C.. for me

If there was not a single best way to improve education, how could you compare different schools and still determine who is an under vs. over achiever; that is we need a standard reference..
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2004, 23:35
this one is tough, i also choose C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 19:45
I choose C (Although I was one of those many who were banking on D :evil: ).

A is out since Conclusion says, "schools sd improve academics" - meaning that there is an expectation from Parents/Students to see better academocs being offered. But A says , "Parents expect ONLY reasonable academics, but greater sports/location". If this is the case, the conclusion should have been "schools sd improve sports/location".

Nevertheless, all these extra items are out of scope items; there may be many more influencing factors like facility structure, teacher-student ratio, male-female ratio :wink: , curriculum, etc.

PS: It will be funny if crackgmat3 comes back to say OA is B. I wont be surprised, but we'll all have to hide our head under the pillow. Except B, all choices have been supported. :lol:

What is the source and OA/OE?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2004, 20:00
A for me. I agree to Venksume's explanation.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 02:39
I am between D and A. To me C is to fuzzy.

D deals with the children selection while A deals with parents selection.
What bother me with A is that it assumes that parents are reasonable. Btw D assumes that children are able to chose, same logic as A ; I am just demonstrating D is propably wrong grrrrrrrrrrr

This one is tough, right issue remains whole education system improvement.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2004, 03:24
i choose A

on boiling down the argument:

Parents will choose the schools >>>>

therefore schools will be forced to improve their academic offerings

this clearly means that parents consider the level of academic quality as the main criteria in choosing schools

n if we negate the assumption in A
it would mean that parents consider other things such as sports/ location more than academic quality
n knowing this, the schools will never crave to improve its academic offerings
n the conclusion will not stand
  [#permalink] 27 Sep 2004, 03:24