Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The report into Government interference in the running of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

The report into Government interference in the running of [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 10:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

57% (02:18) correct 43% (01:19) wrong based on 6 sessions
The report into Government interference in the running of local authorities should be regarded as suspicious as its main author is Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously on behalf of the opposing party at the last general election.
Which of the following forms the most appropriate criticism to the argument contained in the statement above?

A)It ignores the possible political affiliations of the other authors of the report.
B) It does not take into account the possibility that Sir William may have altered his political allegiance since the general election.
C) It fails to consider the possibility that Sir William may be an expert on local authorities.
D) It assumes that Sir William's ability to write an unbiased report is compromised by his political allegiance.
E) It assumes that Sir William's inability to sway the last election in favour of the opposing party indicates that he is equally unable to write a convincing report on local authorities.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 10:53
IMO it is D.

D) It assumes that Sir William's ability to write an unbiased report is compromised by his political allegiance.
>> Yes. This is the correct assumption from which the argument says his report is suspicious.

+1Kudos, if this helps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 11:07
this is weaken the argument question.!!

IMHO B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 12:22
nverma wrote:

IMHO B.

I dont get it.Does the argument not assume the association as described in choice D?If that assumption is flawed ->i.e If Sir William can write an unbiased report irrespective of his political affiliations,is the argument not weakened?Please explain how you ruled out this answer in favour of choice B.

Going with D here.OA pls.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 64

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 23:28
IMO: D

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 01:11
Kiski wrote:
nverma wrote:

IMHO B.

I dont get it.Does the argument not assume the association as described in choice D?If that assumption is flawed ->i.e If Sir William can write an unbiased report irrespective of his political affiliations,is the argument not weakened?Please explain how you ruled out this answer in favour of choice B.

Going with D here.OA pls.

I may be wrong here, but i think

the premise is:

"Sir William Henderson campaigned vigorously on behalf of the opposing party at the last general election"

conclusion:

"Report must be suspicious"

I think B directly weakens/doubts the Premise.
OA plz..!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 03:53
I will vote for A.
The conclusion concerns Williams' truthfulness because of his previous political association. If you point out that any person writing such a report will have some political background, then you disapprove the conclusion most.
B,C, and D could go either way: one answer could strengthen the argument, and other would weaken it.
E is OOS I think.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 723 [0], given: 40

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 03:55
OA is D.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: Sir William Henderson, who campaigned vigorously   [#permalink] 21 May 2010, 03:55