Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The report urges convening a White House conference,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 51

The report urges convening a White House conference, [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 22:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:56) correct 44% (01:16) wrong based on 135 sessions
The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
A. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
B. convening a White House conference, to encourage Congress to appropriate more money for schools and for establishing networks of black mentors
C. convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and to establish networks of black mentors
D. the convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
E. for convening a White House conference, for encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 22:15
I have a conceptual question here .

The report urges convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors

The report-Subject
urges-Verb
convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors-Object.

Wont the construction be better if the object takes a noun form(gerund) .Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions . :!:
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 674

Kudos [?]: 2903 [0], given: 886

Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 22:54
Expert's post
Quote:
Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions .

It will be better if you elaborate what participial phrases are used in the correct form of the sentence?
It would help me to resolve your doubt on this.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 142

Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 00:10
saikarthikreddy wrote:
I have a conceptual question here .

The report-Subject
urges-Verb
convening a White House conference, encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools and establishing networks of black mentors-Object.

Wont the construction be better if the object takes a noun form(gerund) .Here the sentence has participle phrases.
Any suggestions . :!:

The report urges convening a white house conference. : This much is enough to make this part a complete sentence.
Rest of the sentence constitutes what the conference will do. i.e. modifying the conference and best usage will be using two parallel participle phrases.

"encouraging Congress to appropriate more money for schools" + "and" (conjunction) + "establishing networks of black mentors"

You already have definite noun(The report) to act as a subject, why do you want to use a gerund ??

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 06:16
convening ,encouraging ,establishing should be parallel
so A

Kaustubh

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The report urges convening a White House conference [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 12:13
Thanks for the feedback.
@souvik-just wanted to know if there is any other way to construct this sentence .Thanks !!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Re: The report urges convening a White House conference   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2012, 12:13