Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The researchers explained that the average cost of a study

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
The researchers explained that the average cost of a study [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 00:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (03:21) correct 50% (01:41) wrong based on 11 sessions
The researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, amounting to about $80,000, as compared with similar research and analysis this year.
(A) The researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, amounting to about $80,000, as compared with similar research and analysis this year.
(B) The researchers explained that the average cost of research and analysis performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, or about $80,000, from that of similar studies this year.
(C) The researchers explained that there would be an increase of about 10 percent in a study's average cost, or about $80,000, above this year's similar research and analysis.
(D) Compared to similar studies this year, the researchers explained that the average cost of research and analysis performed by the laboratory would increase about $80,000, by more than 10 percent.
(E) Contrasted with similar research and analysis this year, the researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than $80,000, or about 10 percent.

I know the sentence sounds awful :wink:
Which one and why?

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 01:19
nusmavrik wrote:
The researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, amounting to about $80,000, as compared with similar research and analysis this year.
(A) The researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, amounting to about $80,000, as compared with similar research and analysis this year.
(B) The researchers explained that the average cost of research and analysis performed by the laboratory would increase more than 10 percent, or about $80,000, from that of similar studies this year.
(C) The researchers explained that there would be an increase of about 10 percent in a study's average cost, or about $80,000, above this year's similar research and analysis.
(D) Compared to similar studies this year, the researchers explained that the average cost of research and analysis performed by the laboratory would increase about $80,000, by more than 10 percent.
(E) Contrasted with similar research and analysis this year, the researchers explained that the average cost of a study performed by the laboratory would increase more than $80,000, or about 10 percent.

I know the sentence sounds awful :wink:
Which one and why?

Hi,

Confused between A and C. I think A should be the best of the rest. None of them seems perfect.

B - from that of similar ( sounds incorrect )
C - not sure though
D - Comparison is made between researchers and the studies. Incorrect
E - Contrasted to - Incorrect usage

Regards
Sony

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to take a turn.....

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 02:11

Hi the correct idiom is "increase by 10%" so we can eliminate A,B,D,E.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:08
C for me ..others equally bad ..but B bad in worse
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
B for me. A compares cost of study with similar research and analysis. so wrong
C apart from being wordy and awkward (that there would be an increase ... is wordy from gmat standards) and again wrong comparison in C - increase is being compared with this year's similar research etc...
D - first compared to is not appropriate here because we are trying to show difference between costs not similarity. Second the opening phrase "compared to similar studies" modifies researchers creating an impression that the researchers are being compared to studies.

Same modification issue in E as well
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 22:41
nusmavrik bro pls post the OA, as no more elaborate and cogent explanations are coming forth.It would be good if Tommywalach cud help

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Watch comparison ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
No problem ! OA is B.

I have learnt that SC comparing x with y - always pick choice that has keywords "that / those". In this SC "that" refers to cost. In comparison that / those act as replacement pronouns.

that = singular subject of comparison
those = plural subject of comparison

mundasingh123 wrote:
nusmavrik bro pls post the OA, as no more elaborate and cogent explanations are coming forth.It would be good if Tommywalach cud help

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Re: Watch comparison !   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2010, 23:40