Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 04:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The following question appeared in several topics before. the OA is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
MY question is not about which answer is correct. My question is:

Why is it OK to use present participant ("falling")?
I have expected it to be "had fallen", since it happened 2 years ago and after it the profits got better ("increased), or in other words:
1st action (Past Perfect) ---> 2nd action (Past Simple) ---> PRESENT.

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [4] , given: 248

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. The pronoun ‘it’ has no locus standi here; we should say ‘they’ since the pronoun refers to the plural profits – A and B gone

2. The fall in profits is not a one-time affair that happened at a specific time two years ago. It has been falling for the past two years. Therefore, it might be right to use a present perfect or a present participle rather than a past perfect, since we do not have a bonafide simple past tense to intervene between the past perfect and the present tense of the text.

3. However, the problem in D and E is one of modification. The prepositional phrase - with a five percent increase- modifies the subject ‘the results’ rather than the profits This is wrong becos it is the profits that have gone up. It is illogical to say that the results went up 5%.

4. That is the reason C wins, by using the relative pronoun ‘which’

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 01:05
daagh wrote:
1. The pronoun ‘it’ has no locus standi here; we should say ‘they’ since the pronoun refers to the plural profits – A and B gone

2. The fall in profits is not a one-time affair that happened at a specific time two years ago. It has been falling for the past two years. Therefore, it might be right to use a present perfect or a present participle rather than a past perfect, since we do not have a bonafide simple past tense to intervene between the past perfect and the present tense of the text.

3. However, the problem in D and E is one of modification. The prepositional phrase - with a five percent increase- modifies the subject ‘the results’ rather than the profits This is wrong becos it is the profits that have gone up. It is illogical to say that the results went up 5%.

4. That is the reason C wins, by using the relative pronoun ‘which’

How the prepositional phrase "with a five percent increase" modifies the subject "the results" and not "profits".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 04:56
How the prepositional phrase "with a five percent increase" modifies the subject "the results" and not "profits".[/quote]

Hey there, it is actually modifying profits and not the results - that is what is the intended meaning of the sentence.

Think about it this way - can measures increase in %? No it cannot. But can profits increase in % - of course it can...

Hope this helps

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [0], given: 248

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 06:05
Expert's post
We have to read choices D and E together with the comma after profits. A prepositional modifiers set off by a comma is an adverbial modifier, referring to either the subject or the entire clause. But we do not want that. We want something to modify the profits, done best by modifiers such as which or that; that is the reason C wins

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures.. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 17:45
Guys ,

I have a small doubt . I picked 'C' because Profits are plural and 'Which have' is best one than 'Which had'. But , when to use 'have +v3' and 'had+v3'? Is this is the issue with -plural subject or other thing? Please clarify my doubt..........
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures..   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2013, 17:45