Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results of the company s cost-cutting measures are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

The results of the company s cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 03:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:43) correct 15% (01:46) wrong based on 41 sessions
The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures are evident in its profi ts, which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

(A) which increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they fell
(B) which had increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they had fallen
(C) which have increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after falling
(D) with a 5 percent increase during the first 3 months of this year after falling
(E) with a 5 percent increase during the first 3 months of this year after having fallen

Please back your answers with explanation :)
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 09:49
ratinarace wrote:
The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures are evident in its profi ts, which increased 5 percent during the fi rst 3 months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

(A) which increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they fell
(B) which had increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they had fallen
(C) which have increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after falling
(D) with a 5 percent increase during the first 3 months of this year after falling
(E) with a 5 percent increase during the first 3 months of this year after having fallen

"which" is correctly used and better than "with".
So D E out.

The verbs do not give a good idea of the sequence of the events. The simple past ("increased" and "fell") is used to describe "short" actions, in this case we are talking of what the profits did "during the first 3 months" and "over the last two years".
(B) which had increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they had fallen.
"they had fallen over the last two years" is correct, this is an action that occurred over a long period of time in the past and is now over.
However, again, parallelism doesn't give us a good idea of the sequence of the events. And moreover "which had increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year" is not logically correct; I would change it maybe to "which have increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year", to because this action is recent and maybe is still "happening".
(C) which have increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after falling.
"have increased" is the correct verb, as I explained above. "after falling" clearly explains the sequence.

IMO C

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [3] , given: 17

Premium Member
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
i dont think this question is accurate for the option A is not matching with the first choice so may be this question has been manipulated

also as pointed out by
Quote:
zarrolou wrote : which increased 5 percent during the first 3 months of this year after they fell
The verbs do not give a good idea of the sequence of the events. The simple past ("increased" and "fell") is used to describe "short" actions, in this case we are talking of what the profits did "during the first 3 months" and "over the last two years".

we dont need any sequencing of events here. sequence of events is pretty clear :3 months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

the real reason is coz literal reading of A gives a nonsensical meaning :when we talking of "over last 2 years" then we need to use present perfect. also literal reading of A gives a notion that profits literally fell over the the two years !!(not possible )
thats the reason option C is correct

Last edited by aditya8062 on 18 Mar 2013, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:18
ratinarace wrote:

Please back your answers with explanation :)

Note: there is error in Answer Choice A

Correct Answer E since it uses past participle correctly "having fallen"
Choice C and B uses increased 5% which is incorrect idiom

Choice A and B has pronoun errors
Choice C and D uses ing verb which has modifying error

Please reveal OA

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 14:34
OA is C. Saw it in another thread.

It makes sense. Ae need present perfect tense so D and E re out. A and B are clearly awkward
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 21:31
official answer indeed is C.

...Thank you all for your inputs

@aditya, @sdasI actually have manipulated the original question, removing the pronoun error from option A and B..
My purpose of doing so is to understand the difference between option A and option C purely on the basis of the verbs.....coming back to the doubt that I have

in option A, doesn't the use of "after" clarifies the sequencing? or is it that we need past perfect here?? @aditya...yes I feel we need to clearly identify the sequencing as there are two events increased and fell both happening in the past
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 22:05
Sequence is clear by "after" so perfect tense not needed. However, I am not convinced on the idiom part of "which have increased 5%". Also "falling" in the sentence is it clearly modifying profits?
Aditya can you please post the link of the other discussion of this answer.

Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 17

Premium Member
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Aditya can you please post the link of the other discussion of this answer.

not sure what u asking !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 22:18
Ivan91 wrote:
OA is C. Saw it in another thread.

It makes sense. Ae need present perfect tense so D and E re out. A and B are clearly awkward

Ivan can you post the link to the other thread.

Sorry Aditya, it was for Ivan

Re: The results of the company’s cost-cutting measures   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2013, 22:18