Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1594 [0], given: 249

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 19:10
Expert's post
There is a rule in modification that if a modifier is inessential, then it has to be set off with a comma, in which case the clause should complete the intended meaning in full without considering the modifier. In D and E, the prepositional modifiers are separated by a comma, but the intended meaning of the passage can not be completed without considering the modifiers. Therefore, the use of comma before the preposition ‘with’ is grammatically incorrect. Hence D and E can be dropped.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 13:05
After reviewing this topic and also other topics about the same question, I didn't find an answer to my question:
Why is it OK to use present participant ("falling")?
I have expected it to be "had fallen", since it happened 2 years ago and after it the profits got better ("increased), or in other words:
1st action (Past Perfect) ---> 2nd action (Past Simple) ---> PRESENT.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 14:31
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

Correct answer is C.

"which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling"

Correctly explains the situation in the question stem. Also in parallel with the question stem question.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 08:42
Sarang wrote:
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen

Correct answer is C.
"which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling"
Correctly explains the situation in the question stem. Also in parallel with the question stem question.

Were you trying to answer my question or did you just see the question and answered the original post :roll:
I was asking only about the verb "falling" and its tense...
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 03:05
Jump up...

After reviewing this topic and also other topics about the same question, I didn't find an answer to my question:
I have expected it to be "had fallen", since it happened 2 years ago and after it the profits got better ("increased), or in other words:

Thank you.

EDIT: :wall people just answer the original SC question, without even looking at the latest posts and what was asked in them!

Last edited by FuzzyBuzzard on 08 Apr 2012, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 04:29
+1 C

profits is plural hence "Have increased" is correct hence C

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:37
Expert's post
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Jump up...

Thank you.

EDIT: :wall people just answer the original SC question, without even looking at the latest posts and what was asked in them!

Must say, you raised an interesting question.
My take: Since its quite evident that one event precedes another, since the relative clause uses " over the last two years", I think it was redundant to use "had fallen".
ex- Sam had done his homework before going for date last night.
The above sentence is rather incorrect because the sequence of event is quite clear by the use of before.
The correct sentence could have been: Sam had done his homework, when he went for the date. OR Sam had done his homework before he went for the date.

Hope its clear.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 84

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 21:48
C is the right answer because the pronoun, "which", sounds more correct than the usage of "with". Also the sequence of events is pretty clear- just rearrange to make sense - which after falling over the last 2 years have increased five percent during the first three months of this year.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:17
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey noboru,

I'll take the bait! My rationale for C over D has a few points:

1) "Which" in C is a clear modifier - it directly says that the profits have increased after the profits fell, so it has a very clear meaning whereas, at first glance to me, "with" seemed a little less direct. Honestly, upon first glance that was enough for me - C was clearer, and therefore better, than D.

2) Upon further review, I'll even say this - what is the subject of the verb "falling" in D? We haven't set up "profits" as a subject (as we did with "which" as a reflexive pronoun in C), so D has an unclear meaning - what fell?

3) "with" in D should have a meaning as something that joins two things, so it seems like it would link "are evident in its profits...with an increase", making "profits" and "an increase" as two separate and equivalent items...and that's an illogical meaning because the "increase" doesn't have a clear number or value in that case. You can't simply have "an increase" - that increase has to be attached to a number, a figure, etc. So the word "with" in D introduces a lack of clarity throughout the underlined portion - the increase is vague and the verb "falling" has no subject. D is incorrect on several counts.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the clarification..

Could you please let us know the right usage of 'with' ? 'with' appears in a lot of incorrect answers to the OG SC Questions. Would really like to know when can usage of 'with' be right?

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14, IMD '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 25

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
The og says there is a idiom error , I cant find it.

Any help on this missing idiom?

Your Kudos will motivate me :)

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 21:19
(D) is wrong for its own reasons

The results .... are evident, with a 5 increase after falling over last two years.

This changes the intended meaning whereby the non-essential modifier wants to tell more about the profit
analyses and not the results.

Per (D). it says

The results,with a 5 percent increase after falling over last two years,are evident .

Which is wrong

Hope that helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 08:03

What does "it" refer to, in A and B? The profits? That's plural... So A/B gone.

C) makes sense

D) "with a" doesn't make sense, the rest does but this is enough to eliminate D, since we already have C

E) makes the same mistake as D, so we go with C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 02:37
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Jump up...

Thank you.

I was also wondering the same thing and I came to this conclusion:

Verbs ending with '-ing' are flexible in that they can serve as modifiers and can assume the tense of the main verb of the clause.

To rephrase it: 'Profits, after falling the last two years, have increased.'

Because 'falling' modifies 'Profits' -- which 'have increased' -- 'falling' also assumes a past tense.

Makes sense?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 360

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 10:09

My question is why is D or E not correct and C correct - is it because of the use of with in choices D and E or do they contain any additional error.
The only difference between C and D is the usage of with and which.
Can someone please guide on the usage of these words.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 185

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 20:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
akhil911 wrote:

My question is why is D or E not correct and C correct - is it because of the use of with in choices D and E or do they contain any additional error.
The only difference between C and D is the usage of with and which.
Can someone please guide on the usage of these words.

Dear Akhil,
Thank you for your query. :)
You are correct. Structurally speaking, the difference between C and D is the difference between their respective uses of “which” and “with”. However, logically speaking, choice C is any day a lot clearer in conveying the intended meaning of the author than either choice D or E is. Let’s see why:

In choice D or E, it is not clear exactly how the prepositional phrase starting with “with” relates back to the sentence. Now, the whole phrase starting with “with” is a prepositional phrase, which can modify either a noun or a verb. Accordingly, the two possible things that could be modified with this modifier are (ref: underlined sections) :

a. The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits…
or
b. The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits

Now, the context of the sentence dictates that the “with” phrase modify “profits” as, logically speaking, the profits have increased after falling for two years. So let’s test whether this meaning comes across clearly with the “with” modifiers :

(D) The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years.
(E) The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen over the last two years.

Now, do you think that the “with” modifiers in the above two sentences clearly refer back to the profits?! The answer is NO! This is because these phrases could be deemed as modifying the action in the previous clause. In other words, it could be taken to suggest that:

The results are evident because of a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling over the last two years.

The above meaning makes logical sense. However, is this sense compatible with the intended meaning of the author? The answer is NO! Also, besides the fact that choices D and E form rather awkward sentences, in the “with” modifying phrases, we are just told about a five percent increase, but we are not told exactly what entity has increased during the first three months of this year. The same goes for the “falling” bit. We do not know exactly what fell over the last two years.

Accordingly, it makes more sense to use “which” here. This is because “which” is typically used to convey extra-information about the noun preceding it. In the correct choice, “which” unambiguously refers back to “profits”. A simple example of the same usage is explained below:

The green shoes, which I tried on, are designed by the famous shoe designer Romano Ray.

In the above sentence, the noun “shoes” is already described as “green” in color. Therefore, the “which” clause- which I tried on- gives us extra information about the shoes.

To solidify your understanding of the topic and to learn the nuances of the same, please visit our in-depth article on the subject: noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Please also revise the concept of “Types of modifier” if you are an e-GMATer.

Hope the above discussion helps! :)

Regards,

Neeti.

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 18:03
Hi -- Can someone please explain why the verbs are incorrect in A? Why is it incorrect that both are in past tense? Doesn't it make complete sense that the profits increased AFTER they fell?

Description says that having two tenses in the past is incorrect?

Also, if C said -- "profits have increased after they fell" -- would that still be correct?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 20:32
Couple of question:
1. I have question regarding the 'tense' used in A & B. Please find below choice by eliminating the pronoun error. please let me know if they are correct.

a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling

2. Question regarding 'with'
In both cases 'with' is incorrect.
Is 'with' always incorrect to start a modifier ? Or can 'with' used to start modifier is any case ? Is there any example that shows correct usage of 'with' ?

I will offer kudos to every satisfactory answer :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 02:20
russ9 wrote:
Hi -- Can someone please explain why the verbs are incorrect in A? Why is it incorrect that both are in past tense? Doesn't it make complete sense that the profits increased AFTER they fell?

Also, if C said -- "profits have increased after they fell" -- would that still be correct?

Hi russ9,
Let's discuss your questions one by one:

Can someone please explain why the verbs are incorrect in A? Why is it incorrect that both are in past tense? Doesn't it make complete sense that the profits increased AFTER they fell?

I think it’s incorrect to say that both the verbs are incorrect in option A. Let’s discuss the sentence in detail to find out more:

SENTENCE

• The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits,
o which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.

MEANING

• So, this sentence states a fact from the present that certain results are evident in the company’s profits.
• The profits have increased five percent during the first three months of this year.
o This happened after the profits fell over the last two years.

Now, there are two things about the increase in the profits that are worth discussing here:
1. The increase happened over a period of 3 months.
2. The effect of this increase in the profits is still present. (The results…. are evident in its profits)

Since the increase is a continuous event that has happened over a duration of time it can’t be represented using the simple past tense. Either we need to use the present perfect tense of the past perfect tense.
Also, since the effect of these increases is visible in the present time, it can’t be represented using the past perfect tense.

So, the correct tense to be used here is the present perfect tense.

Note that, it makes perfect sense to say that the profits increased after they fell, but in the context of this sentence this is incorrect, as explained above.

I didn’t exactly get your doubt here, but there can be instances where both the verbs of the sentence can be in the past tense. However, that is not the case here.
Also, when there are two or more than two events that happened at different points of time in the past then the recommended way is to do the sequencing of the events.

I had finished my homework when Ross came to meet me. (Homework was finished before Ross came)

The chief guest had left before the party started. (Chief guest left then the party started)

In both the above sentences, one of the events happened before the other.

Yes, since the falling of the profits is an action that happened in the past, it’s correct to describe this action using the simple past tense.

Hope this helps!
Manyu
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 02:56
umeshpatil wrote:
Couple of question:
1. I have question regarding the 'tense' used in A & B. Please find below choice by eliminating the pronoun error. please let me know if they are correct.

a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling

2. Question regarding 'with'
In both cases 'with' is incorrect.
Is 'with' always incorrect to start a modifier ? Or can 'with' used to start modifier is any case ? Is there any example that shows correct usage of 'with' ?

I will offer kudos to every satisfactory answer :lol:

Hi umeshpatil,

I have already answered your first question in my reply to russ9’s post. You can find it on the same page, right next to your post:

Regarding question number 2, I will say that a modifier can be started with ‘with’. Let’s take a look at a couple of official examples:

OFFICIAL EXAMPLE I

• Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.

In this sentence, the modifier doesn't exactly start with 'with', but still it serves the purpose. If a modifier can start with 'together with', it can also start with 'with'. Right?

OFFICIAL EXAMPLE II

• The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 100

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 02:41
I chose the correct answer (C) solely based on the use of "V-ing" after "after". Since two verbs (increase and fall) clarify the same subject "profits" --> if "after" is used, it should be followed by "V-ing" form of the verb denoting the prior action (which is "fall" in this sentence).

E.g. After discussing all other issues with Lana, I have changed my mind.

However, I'm not sure if I can rely on this reason to pick up the correct answer in other similar situation. Any suggestion?

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Re: The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2014, 02:41