Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 15

The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 14:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:46) correct 13% (00:44) wrong based on 318 sessions
The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that the mixed performance of the index's individual components indicates that economic growth will proceed at a more moderate pace than in the first quarter of this year.

A) suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that
B) suggest that the economy is to continue expansion in the coming months, but
C) suggests that the economy will continue its expanding in the coming months, but that
D) suggests that the economy is continuing to expand into the coming months, but that
E) suggests that the economy will continue to expand in the coming months, but

Is there a good explanation on which of these phrases are correct.

expand into the coming months Vs expand in the coming months
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mau5 on 22 Aug 2013, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 18:29
mrsmarthi wrote:
The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that the mixed performance of the index's individual components indicates that economic growth will proceed at a more moderate pace than in the first quarter of this year.

A) suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that
C) suggests that the economy will continue its expanding in the coming months, but that
D) suggests that the economy is continuing to expand into the coming months, but that

Looks like you are between C and D. But for me, it is E.
A/B are incorrect for the plural verb for singular subject.
"its expanding" in C is awakward.
"into" is not correct and better than "in" in E.

E is what I am left with and does not have any mistake.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 15

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Yep....E it is.

GMATTiger,

I was toggling between D and E. But E took precedence over D because of the BUT THAT at the end. Here THAT should NOT be used because the second sentence is an independent clause.

I still am looking for the difference in the usage of "expand into X" and "expand in X". Is there a real difference? or or both the structures valid?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 07:30
Apart from what you mentioned, two more things:

1. llism and
2. originality of the meaning

E maintains the both but D doesnot.

mrsmarthi wrote:
Yep....E it is.

GMATTiger,

I was toggling between D and E. But E took precedence over D because of the BUT THAT at the end. Here THAT should NOT be used because the second sentence is an independent clause.

I still am looking for the difference in the usage of "expand into X" and "expand in X". Is there a real difference? or or both the structures valid?

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:31
I was torn between D and E. I chose D because I thought that "that" acts as a determiner that replace the rise. So the sentence I thought would be " but that(=the rise in) the mixed performance of the index.... I thought that was needed to maintain parallelism Can someone please explain to me why I am wrong.

Or is it have to be "of that" in order to reference "the rise"?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:17
E for me.

"in coming months" is better than "into coming months" idiomatically.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:25
one more for E
singular and 'but that' in D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 20:49
The structure is: "A suggest that B should happen, but C indicates that D would happen"
Parallelism is the key here obviously.

mrsmarthi wrote:

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 109

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 22:02
+1 E

Reasons:
a) S-V agreement: A and B are out.
b) "..., but THAT the economy...": The second "clauses" in C and D are not real clauses.

Therefore, E.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 51

Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 09:33
mrsmarthi wrote:

obviously D is erroneous,furthermore expand into the coming months is wrong usage.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 61

CAT Tests
Re: exapnd in the coming months Vs expand into coming months [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 18:55
Ekin4112 wrote:
I was torn between D and E. I chose D because I thought that "that" acts as a determiner that replace the rise. So the sentence I thought would be " but that(=the rise in) the mixed performance of the index.... I thought that was needed to maintain parallelism Can someone please explain to me why I am wrong.

Or is it have to be "of that" in order to reference "the rise"?

Ekin4112 - the use of that is incorrect. The first clause talks about "The rise of indexes" and the second clause is referring to the individual components of indexes and stating the fact that there is mixed performance seen of the index's individual components- meaning high and low", thus will maintain a moderate pace...
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 22:49
There is also one more error of "...is continuing" and "will continue" in options D and E, but of course, a having a split and a vertical scan makes the correct option more clearer.
Re: The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2014, 22:49