Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rise of Booth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.94
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The rise of Booth [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 12:20
It seems that of all b-schools, Booth has had the most positive momentum over the last 3-5 years. The new building, Booth's [massive] donation, upgrades to the curriculum, etc., have all contributed. There have also been significant increases in the average financial aid package (obviously supported by the donation).

All of this has led to an overall increase in the performance metrics of Booth students (higher GMATs and GPAs, better work experience, etc.). In other words, people who may have in the past gone to H/S/W are sometimes now choosing Booth. Additionally, recruiting at Booth has been very strong over the past few years, even during the recession. I read a post in the Booth thread earlier today saying that there are over 300 interview spots for M/B/B for a class of 500ish people! Amazing!

Anyway, I am curious to get peoples' opinions on how high Booth can continue to rise. I'm less interested in how Booth performs in the various "official" rankings and more interested in peoples' own views on where the school ranks relative to competitors.

I would argue that, generally speaking, the hierarchy has traditionally gone something like this:
- Tier A: HBS, Stanford
- Tier B: Wharton
- Tier C: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, MIT, Columbia
- Tier D: Berkeley, Duke, Darden, Anderson, Ross, Yale, NYU, etc...

Obviously there is much debate about who belongs in Tier C, Tier D, and beyond; that is not my question. Rather, do you guys see Booth moving into Tier B, alongside Wharton? Or maybe even supplanting Wharton as the sole Tier B school?

Interested in your thoughts on how far Booth's strong momentum can carry it. To make it more tangible, if you were admitted to Wharton and Booth, and the financial aid packages were the same, would you choose Booth?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: The rise of Booth [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 16:50
DagwoodDeluxe wrote:
It seems that of all b-schools, Booth has had the most positive momentum over the last 3-5 years. The new building, Booth's [massive] donation, upgrades to the curriculum, etc., have all contributed. There have also been significant increases in the average financial aid package (obviously supported by the donation).

All of this has led to an overall increase in the performance metrics of Booth students (higher GMATs and GPAs, better work experience, etc.). In other words, people who may have in the past gone to H/S/W are sometimes now choosing Booth. Additionally, recruiting at Booth has been very strong over the past few years, even during the recession. I read a post in the Booth thread earlier today saying that there are over 300 interview spots for M/B/B for a class of 500ish people! Amazing!

Anyway, I am curious to get peoples' opinions on how high Booth can continue to rise. I'm less interested in how Booth performs in the various "official" rankings and more interested in peoples' own views on where the school ranks relative to competitors.

I would argue that, generally speaking, the hierarchy has traditionally gone something like this:
- Tier A: HBS, Stanford
- Tier B: Wharton
- Tier C: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, MIT, Columbia
- Tier D: Berkeley, Duke, Darden, Anderson, Ross, Yale, NYU, etc...

Obviously there is much debate about who belongs in Tier C, Tier D, and beyond; that is not my question. Rather, do you guys see Booth moving into Tier B, alongside Wharton? Or maybe even supplanting Wharton as the sole Tier B school?

Interested in your thoughts on how far Booth's strong momentum can carry it. To make it more tangible, if you were admitted to Wharton and Booth, and the financial aid packages were the same, would you choose Booth?

As a Booth student, honestly, I wouldn't like to get into this discussion. Once you get in you realize rankings don't matter 10% as much as you thought they did before getting in, and seeing the way these discussions have turned out in the BusinessWeek and other forums, they seem to attract completely unconstructive comments (if not outright trolling) for a variety of reasons.

Also, moving to Business School Review forum.
Re: The rise of Booth   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2011, 16:50