Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The role of GMAT score after admission?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I have been admitted to a couple of programs (Anderson and Cornell) with a low gmat score (660). What is the role of the GMAT score after admission? For example do the companies take your gmat score into consideration during recruiting? What about scholarships for the second year (I did not receive one for the first year)? Do they depend only on your first year grades and involvement in the community / campus life or also on the gmat score?

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [2] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
rakeshd347 wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

I have been admitted to a couple of programs (Anderson and Cornell) with a low gmat score (660). What is the role of the GMAT score after admission? For example do the companies take your gmat score into consideration during recruiting? What about scholarships for the second year (I did not receive one for the first year)? Do they depend only on your first year grades and involvement in the community / campus life or also on the gmat score?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate

After admission I don't think there is any role of GMAT admission.Moreover the companies won't ask you for your GMAT score for recruitment but they will look for your GPA during your graduation or masters. Your scholarship for the 2nd year depends from college to college. Some colleges give scholarship based on your 1st year GPA and some other colleges have other criteria.

So its better check with your college regarding the scholarship. I hope this helps.

Please KUDOS if my post helps.

This is not true...

I have heard from many people that certain consulting and finance companies will ask for your GMAT score during the interview process. What are your post MBA goals? If it is either consulting, or a finance related field, I would reach out to those clubs at Johnson and Anderson to ask about their experience in regards to their GMAT during recruiting.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
highwyre237 wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate

After admission I don't think there is any role of GMAT admission.Moreover the companies won't ask you for your GMAT score for recruitment but they will look for your GPA during your graduation or masters. Your scholarship for the 2nd year depends from college to college. Some colleges give scholarship based on your 1st year GPA and some other colleges have other criteria.

So its better check with your college regarding the scholarship. I hope this helps.

Please KUDOS if my post helps.

This is not true...

I have heard from many people that certain consulting and finance companies will ask for your GMAT score during the interview process. What are your post MBA goals? If it is either consulting, or a finance related field, I would reach out to those clubs at Johnson and Anderson to ask about their experience in regards to their GMAT during recruiting.

I'd have to agree with Highwyre237.

If your post MBA goal is to get into consulting, GMAT in all likelihood will come into play again.

From my research, I have found that most consulting companies have an unofficial cutoff of 700. In fact, Sandy Kreisberg in his latest "Handicapping your odds at a Top MBA" series mentions this - "And as also often noted, there is an semi-official minimum GMAT score filter at Bain of 720, and possibly at McK and BCG, too, so don’t think your GMAT disappears after you get in to business school. In light of that, it might be worth taking more than once to get a score in that range. This could be real important actually, although dull, and my guess is, at non-HSW schools, GMAT has added importance for MBB. A sorry fact of life. If anyone has done MBB recruiting at non-HWS schools please confirm, or hopefully, modify." -
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/04/ ... -top-mba-2

So if your post MBA goal is to get into MBB or any other consulting firm in that league and if you have enough time on hand, I think you should take the GAMT and cross the 700 barrier.

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
MrsSustainability and Highwyre are on target here.

I worked for over 15 years as the Director of MBA Admissions at a top 30 MBA program. Although I did not work in Career Services, I did hear of companies asking about GMAT scores. I also frequently saw candidates put their strong GMAT score on their resumes (700+).

I recommend asking the Career Services Office of the school you plan to attend. It's a good reason for you to reach out to them and to develop a relationship with them. Building a positive relationship with the Career Services Office is a great thing to be working on now before you start school in the fall.

Wendy
MBA Admissions Coach
wendylflynn89@gmail.com

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 15:48
Thanks everyone. This is helpful...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 10:42
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dude you do not have to worry in either of the cases

Case 1: Employers dont care .

Have a chocolate fudge .

Case 2 : Employers do care.

Work through your MBA and if GMAT is really important for employers , give one more GMAT during next two years ( may be more if you dont hit) and hit your target. ( 700 or 720 or 740).
And then have a Chocolate Fudge.

Keep it simple.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 21:58
I've also heard that the GMAT score is important for recruiting, not sure for which specific industry, but obviously you're not done with it when admitted to b-school. The good news is that you have time to improve!
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 663 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
I've heard that MBB absolutely require a 700 minimum to even sit for their screening tests... I guess it depends on the industry you are looking at...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
smoothnavigator wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Have a chocolate fudge .

Work through your MBA and if GMAT is really important for employers , give one more GMAT during next two years ( may be more if you dont hit) and hit your target. ( 700 or 720 or 740).

Keep it simple.

Good luck studying for the GMAT while handling core and recruiting. Oh yeah, not to mention that the industries where GMAT matters most (banking, consulting) start recruiting earlier than others. In other words, I don't agree with the above advice. :lol:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [2] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
kingfalcon wrote:
smoothnavigator wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Have a chocolate fudge .

Keep it simple.

Good luck studying for the GMAT while handling core and recruiting. Oh yeah, not to mention that the industries where GMAT matters most (banking, consulting) start recruiting earlier than others. In other words, I don't agree with the above advice. :lol:

To add, all of that chocolate fudge may be bad for you, better off having a beer IMO
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 09:29
highwyre237 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Have a chocolate fudge .

Keep it simple.

To add, all of that chocolate fudge may be bad for you, better off having a beer IMO[/quote]

I agree on both Gmat exam timing (that's why I'm trying to figure this out now) and beer :) Just as an update, re: the second year donor scholarships, they usually don't look at GMAT but concentrate on first year achievements (grades and involvement). At least this is what I have been told by one of the schools. Cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The role of GMAT score after admission? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 18:07
kingfalcon wrote:
smoothnavigator wrote:
MBA83MI wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Have a chocolate fudge .

Keep it simple.

OP still has 3 to 4 months to give GMAT again before the classes start.
Re: The role of GMAT score after admission?   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2013, 18:07