Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic tool because it takes only one hour to expose behavior and thought processes that may be unlikely to emerge in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviewing.
(A) that may be unlikely to emerge in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviewing
(B) whose emergence is unlikely in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviews
(C) that might not emerge in other procedures or in weeks of ordinary interviews
(D) that may not emerge under other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviews
(E) unlikely not to emerge during weeks of ordinary interviewing or in other procedures
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 464
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:21
C for me

I am not sure between may not and might not but will go for C . Can anyone explain the usage ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:34
Nihit wrote:
C for me

I am not sure between may not and might not but will go for C . Can anyone explain the usage ?


IMO C
might is past tense of may
Here it is used as conditional verb
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Mumbai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 07:44
D should be answer. May is used with present tense. pls explain for C in detail
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 22:45
icandy wrote:
spriya wrote:
The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic tool because it takes only one hour to expose behavior and thought processes that may be unlikely to emerge in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviewing.
(A) that may be unlikely to emerge in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviewing

Noun and verb. wrong parallelism

(B) whose emergence is unlikely in other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviews

whose?? No way

(C) that might not emerge in other procedures or in weeks of ordinary interviews

parallel (better over A as might not is concise than may be unlikely to)

(D) that may not emerge under other procedures or weeks of ordinary interviews

under is wrong

(E) unlikely not to emerge during weeks of ordinary interviewing or in other procedures

during is wrong and unlikely not is just plain wrong.


IMO C


I believe the reason why C is correct is usage of IN rather than might !!!
in other procedures and in weeks ..... is correct usage !! D losses on this since it says under other procedures or week ... under week is wrong usage

one query which i have here is MIGHT NOT indicates uncertainty
where as may not indicates surety !!! hence here better option would be usage of may rather than might ,may be A can be considered for the same reason stated here !!can anyone help !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1578
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 23:33
spriya, how does "may" indicate sureity? Is "might" not past tense of "may"?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 04:02
Confused betwn C and D .. finally going with D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 267
Location: nj
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 2

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 07:37
here is something on might vs. may. I got it while surfing net.

"So remember to use may when the outcome is likely and might when the outcome is less likely or uncertain. But also remember that you use might for everything in the past tense. Also, it's OK to use might when you're writing about negative outcomes, even if they're likely outcomes, if using may would make people think you were talking about having permission."

by looking at this "might" fits better here.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 08:56
neeshpal wrote:
here is something on might vs. may. I got it while surfing net.

"So remember to use may when the outcome is likely and might when the outcome is less likely or uncertain. But also remember that you use might for everything in the past tense. Also, it's OK to use might when you're writing about negative outcomes, even if they're likely outcomes, if using may would make people think you were talking about having permission."

by looking at this "might" fits better here.


Yes rightly said ,consider following:

you may go to party !!! ORDER
You might go to party !!!! negative perception
You might beat him there!!!

so there is a difference in terms of tone and certainty too!!!

I think C here is more concise than A !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: sc-test [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 10:50
It also said "might" needs to be used for everything in the past tense.

I might go to a party. How is this past tense?

spriya wrote:
neeshpal wrote:
here is something on might vs. may. I got it while surfing net.

"So remember to use may when the outcome is likely and might when the outcome is less likely or uncertain. But also remember that you use might for everything in the past tense. Also, it's OK to use might when you're writing about negative outcomes, even if they're likely outcomes, if using may would make people think you were talking about having permission."

by looking at this "might" fits better here.


Yes rightly said ,consider following:

you may go to party !!! ORDER
You might go to party !!!! negative perception
You might beat him there!!!

so there is a difference in terms of tone and certainty too!!!

I think C here is more concise than A !!!
Re: sc-test   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2008, 10:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Brand new CR diagnostic (test drive) egmat 0 12 Dec 2013, 10:46
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Brand new CR diagnostic (test drive) egmat 1 12 Dec 2013, 10:31
The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic shikhar 2 19 Apr 2012, 00:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic vivektripathi 14 25 Dec 2008, 04:41
New Diagnostic Tests at mba.com Legend 3 28 Mar 2008, 05:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Rorschzch test is gaining new respect as a diagnostic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.