The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 02:44
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 190 [2] , given: 12

The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2011, 05:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (01:40) correct 51% (00:53) wrong based on 416 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the
supply lasts.

(A) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the supply lasts
(B) begins at 9 a.m., continuing until the supply lasts
(C) will begin at 9 a.m. and, until the supply lasts, will continue
(D) begins at 9 a.m. and, as long as the supply may last, it continues
(E) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue as long as the supply lasts

Answer + explanation please 1
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 920
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Another SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2011, 06:14
So vicious of them ! There is clearly no colloquial difference between A and E - until / as long as.

until = upto a time

whichscore wrote:
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the
supply lasts.

(A) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the supply lasts
(B) begins at 9 a.m., continuing until the supply lasts
(C) will begin at 9 a.m. and, until the supply lasts, will continue
(D) begins at 9 a.m. and, as long as the supply may last, it continues
(E) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue as long as the supply lasts

Answer + explanation please 1
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Posts: 83
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 42

Re: Another SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2011, 16:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
use of until is wrong here
u can refer to this thread to know about correct usage of "until"
sc-tricky-56722.html
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 992
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 163

Kudos [?]: 1427 [1] , given: 227

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 12:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
until suggest abrupt trigger to stop an ongoing event whereas as long as suggest something ended over a period of time.

Thus as sales will continue over a period of time and stop automatically when stock will be over we should use as long as here.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10444
Followers: 886

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 17:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 113
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 22:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
All choices eliminated except A & E. I chose A :(.

Digging further into this topic, I understood the following usage of Until VS As long As :

Until : refers to a point in time, deadline. The activity will STOP when that moment occurs.

So,The sale will stop the moment supply ends >> The sale will continue until the supply ends (and not lasts)

As long as : denotes "While", the activity will endure only during the moment (not before or after).

Accordingly, the sentence above implies that the sale will continue as long as the supply lasts (which means sale will continue only while supply is there, not after the supply is finished
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1357
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 783

Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 21:00
i think
until+point of time
as long as+ period of time

so e is better here.

is this from gmatprep? hard one
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1357
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 783

Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 21:07
whichscore wrote:
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the
supply lasts.

(A) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the supply lasts
(B) begins at 9 a.m., continuing until the supply lasts
(C) will begin at 9 a.m. and, until the supply lasts, will continue
(D) begins at 9 a.m. and, as long as the supply may last, it continues
(E) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue as long as the supply lasts

Answer + explanation please 1


hard,
after until we need a point of time which is presented by a time mark (3 .p.m.) or a clause. this clause show an action having ending point
I will speak until you come. action "come" have ending point

as long as need to be followed by a condition which is presented by a clause. as long as mean "if"

so using our common sense, we choose e, not a.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2016
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 41

Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 20:56
whichscore wrote:
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the
supply lasts.

(A) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until the supply lasts
(B) begins at 9 a.m., continuing until the supply lasts
(C) will begin at 9 a.m. and, until the supply lasts, will continue
(D) begins at 9 a.m. and, as long as the supply may last, it continues
(E) will begin at 9 a.m. and continue as long as the supply lasts

Answer + explanation please 1


as i was reading the question, a spontaneous thought occurred, which replaced until with "till the supply lasts", although not in answer options, but is this usage correct
????
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 431

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 13:36
My guess between A and E - 'Until' is used for nouns, example until dawn, until success; 'as long as' is used for clauses. Experts , please prove or disprove this theory. Thanks.

Jon
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1962
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1269 [1] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 14:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TheLordCommander wrote:
My guess between A and E - 'Until' is used for nouns, example until dawn, until success; 'as long as' is used for clauses. Experts , please prove or disprove this theory. Thanks.

Jon


Until:
"until" used as preposition goes with noun: We talked until midnight.
"until" used as conjunction goes with a clause: We kept walking until it got dark.
In either case the part after until (noun or clause) denotes a point in time.
(until success does not make sense: success is not a point in time. Until we succeeded is alright - it denotes a point in time when we succeeded.)

As long as:
"As long as" goes with clause.
I kept walking as long as there was light.
Unlike "until", "as long as" does not indicate a point in time, but denotes a period of time or a condition.
The implication is: X happens as long as period Y continues OR the condition Y is satisfied.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 431

GMAT ToolKit User
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 10:39
sayantanc2k wrote:
TheLordCommander wrote:
My guess between A and E - 'Until' is used for nouns, example until dawn, until success; 'as long as' is used for clauses. Experts , please prove or disprove this theory. Thanks.

Jon


Until:
"until" used as preposition goes with noun: We talked until midnight.
"until" used as conjunction goes with a clause: We kept walking until it got dark.
In either case the part after until (noun or clause) denotes a point in time.
(until success does not make sense: success is not a point in time. Until we succeeded is alright - it denotes a point in time when we succeeded.)

As long as:
"As long as" goes with clause.
I kept walking as long as there was light.
Unlike "until", "as long as" does not indicate a point in time, but denotes a period of time or a condition.
The implication is: X happens as long as period Y continues OR the condition Y is satisfied.


Sayantan, my confusion is - doesent supply last 'until' a point in time? When it is over, wouldn't that mark the end of activity?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1962
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1269 [2] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 07:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheLordCommander wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
TheLordCommander wrote:
My guess between A and E - 'Until' is used for nouns, example until dawn, until success; 'as long as' is used for clauses. Experts , please prove or disprove this theory. Thanks.

Jon


Until:
"until" used as preposition goes with noun: We talked until midnight.
"until" used as conjunction goes with a clause: We kept walking until it got dark.
In either case the part after until (noun or clause) denotes a point in time.
(until success does not make sense: success is not a point in time. Until we succeeded is alright - it denotes a point in time when we succeeded.)

As long as:
"As long as" goes with clause.
I kept walking as long as there was light.
Unlike "until", "as long as" does not indicate a point in time, but denotes a period of time or a condition.
The implication is: X happens as long as period Y continues OR the condition Y is satisfied.


Sayantan, my confusion is - doesent supply last 'until' a point in time? When it is over, wouldn't that mark the end of activity?


Take this example again:
We kept walking until it got dark.... correct. (walking ended, darkness started)
We kept walking as long as there was light..... correct. (walking and light occurred together)
We kept walking until there was light.... wrong. (walking and light occurred together)

Thus when the two events referred occur together, use "as long as".
When one event ends and the other begins, use "until".

Another example for more clarity:
We kept running until it started to rain.
We kept running as long as it rained.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 431

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 10:19
[/quote]

Take this example again:
We kept walking until it got dark.... correct. (walking ended, darkness started)
We kept walking as long as there was light..... correct. (walking and light occurred together)
We kept walking until there was light.... wrong. (walking and light occurred together)

Thus when the two events referred occur together, use "as long as".
When one event ends and the other begins, use "until".

Another example for more clarity:
We kept running until it started to rain.
We kept running as long as it rained.[/quote]

Brilliant mate. Thanks a ton!
Re: The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2016, 10:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
12 The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 bsd_lover 13 16 May 2008, 03:22
21 The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 tarek99 14 06 Dec 2007, 09:44
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 empty_spaces 4 14 Aug 2007, 00:52
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 leeye84 1 01 Jun 2007, 08:11
The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9 mm007 4 23 Dec 2006, 20:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The sale of government surplus machinery will begin at 9

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.