Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The school principal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 220 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

20% (02:35) correct 80% (01:45) wrong based on 68 sessions
I actually dont see a flawed pattern here.
For me the argument is:

Hypothesis: Bad Teaching-->Student Failure
Conclusion: No Student Failure (grades disappeared) --> No Bad Teaching (teaching improved)
Nothing worng with that!
Please comment.
Thanks.

The school principal insisted that student failures are caused by bad teaching. In a relatively short time failing grades disappeared from the school. The principal happily recognized this as evidence that the teaching had improved at the school.
The flawed pattern of reasoning in the above is most similar to that in which one of the following?
(A) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was caused by overeating. In a brief time all the members stopped overeating. The nutritionist was pleased to conclude that they had stopped gaining weight.
(B) The manager insisted that the workers who filed complaints had too many difference tasks. The manager simplified the jobs, and complains stopped. The manager happily concluded that the working environment had been improved.
(C) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was merely in their imagination. Members were given weight charts for the last three months. The nutritionist was pleased to conclude that the complaints of weight gain had stopped.
(D) The manager insisted that the workers who filed complaints did not have enough to do. Soon there were no more complaints filed. The manager was pleased to conclude that the workers were now productively filling their time.
(E) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was cause by their thinking of food too often. The nutritionist was happy to conclude that the weight gain had stopped once the team members reported that they had stopped thinking of food so often.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 11:03
i think its D. Its the closest in pattern.

Fail/Complaints <----- Bad teacher/Not enough to do.

Then bad grades/complaints disappeared (note: principal did not take any other positive action other than making the allegation; for this reason B is wrong where the manager took some positive action - he "simplified the job").

Conclusion reached: teaching improved/time being filled productively.

The 'bad' cause - bad teacher/not enough to do turns into an improvement (good teaching/productive usage of time) in the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 11:17
bad teaching responsible for failure.
failure improved therefore teaching must have improved.

X responsible for Y
Y improved Hence X improved

In E
Thinking food responsible for weight gain.
weight gain improved therefore thinking improved(stopped)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 12:42
I will go with [D]
This one has the closest pattern of Assumption-Result-Conclusion.

[E] is a close one, but if looked at closely, we can see that the team members reported that they had stopped thinking of food... whereas in the problem statement no student (or anybody) reported of bad teaching.

This is a good CR question... would be nice to see some more explanations... thanks for posting it!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 17:17
according to me its D.
whats OA ??
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 104

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 17:23
i am with D too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 22:27
D
Took me few minutes to compare and read through all the options. D is closest.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 22:58
D OA pls?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:25
IMO B..OA pls
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 11:53
+1 (B)
OA pls..?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [2] , given: 5

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
For me the argument is:

Conclusion: No Student Failure (grades disappeared) --> No Bad Teaching (teaching improved)
Nothing worng with that!
Please comment.
Thanks.

The school principal insisted that student failures are caused by bad teaching. In a relatively short time failing grades disappeared from the school. The principal happily recognized this as evidence that the teaching had improved at the school.
The flawed pattern of reasoning in the above is most similar to that in which one of the following?
(A) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was caused by overeating. In a brief time all the members stopped overeating. The nutritionist was pleased to conclude that they had stopped gaining weight.
(B) The manager insisted that the workers who filed complaints had too many difference tasks. The manager simplified the jobs, and complains stopped. The manager happily concluded that the working environment had been improved.
(C) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was merely in their imagination. Members were given weight charts for the last three months. The nutritionist was pleased to conclude that the complaints of weight gain had stopped.
(D) The manager insisted that the workers who filed complaints did not have enough to do. Soon there were no more complaints filed. The manager was pleased to conclude that the workers were now productively filling their time.
(E) The nutritionist insisted that the weight gain that team members complained of was cause by their thinking of food too often. The nutritionist was happy to conclude that the weight gain had stopped once the team members reported that they had stopped thinking of food so often.

D. It's circular logic. In the example given, the principal is claiming that the students are failing because of bad teaching. When the students stop failing, he then claims that the teaching has improved. But he never proved that bad teaching was the cause of student failures, nor did he actually show that teaching improved. He made a claim, didn't back it up, then used his own unproven claim to prove itself.

In D, the same type of circular logic is used - the manager claims that workers are filing complaints because they have nothing to do, but fails to back that claim up at all. Then, when workers stop filing complaints, the manager claims it's because the workers no longer have nothing to do. Again, he makes a claim, fails to provide evidence, and then uses the claim to prove itself.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 19:44
TehJay wrote:
noboru wrote:
For me the argument is:

Nothing worng with that!
Please comment.
Thanks.

D. It's circular logic. In the example given, the principal is claiming that the students are failing because of bad teaching. When the students stop failing, he then claims that the teaching has improved. But he never proved that bad teaching was the cause of student failures, nor did he actually show that teaching improved. He made a claim, didn't back it up, then used his own unproven claim to prove itself.

In D, the same type of circular logic is used - the manager claims that workers are filing complaints because they have nothing to do, but fails to back that claim up at all. Then, when workers stop filing complaints, the manager claims it's because the workers no longer have nothing to do. Again, he makes a claim, fails to provide evidence, and then uses the claim to prove itself.

Superb explanation! +1

Spread some happiness..Press Kudos! :)

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 00:58
1:21 - D. Woohoo!

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 04:22
Premise 1: Cause ----> Effect
Conclusion: No Effect -----> No Cause

A : Cause----> Effect
No Cause -----> No Effect
B: Cause 1 -----> Effect 1
No Cause 1 ------> No effect 1
Hence Effect 2
C: Cause 1----> Effect
Cause 2 -----> No Effect

D: Cause -----> Effect
No Effect -----> No Cause

E: Cause----> Effect
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 08:16
noboru wrote:
For me the argument is:

Nothing worng with that!
Please comment.
Thanks.

+1 to D from me.

Seems to me like the original sentence fails to describe any action taken to combat the issue at hand. In several of the answer choices action is taken to improve the situation, such as in option A, which explicitly stated that several members stopped overeating.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 09:38
yeah, its D

noboru wrote:
For me the argument is:

Nothing worng with that!
Please comment.
Thanks.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 03:54
OA is D, and your reasoning is fantastic!

However,

Premise: C>E
Conclusion: No E>No C

is not a flawed pattern.

Could anybody clarify that?
Thanks in advance!

ramgmat wrote:

No Cause 1 ------> No effect 1
Hence Effect 2
C: Cause 1----> Effect
Cause 2 -----> No Effect

D: Cause -----> Effect
No Effect -----> No Cause

E: Cause----> Effect

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 17:12
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 20:54
suhi wrote:
according to me its D.
whats OA ??

Yeah its D...
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The school principal [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 12:33
Nobody is going to clarify this?

noboru wrote:
OA is D, and your reasoning is fantastic!

However,

Premise: C>E
Conclusion: No E>No C

is not a flawed pattern.

Could anybody clarify that?
Thanks in advance!

ramgmat wrote: