Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (03:05) correct 45% (01:47) wrong based on 102 sessions
The sequence a_n is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3, a_n is the greater of a_{n-2} +1 and a_{n-1}. (If the two quantities are the same, then a_n is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of a_1 and a_2 will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

A. a_1=-1, a_2=-1.5
B. a_1=-1, a_2=1
C. a_1=1, a_2=-1
D. a_1=1, a_2=1.5
E. a_1=1.5, a_2=1

I am having trouble understanding what the question is asking and also solving it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1031

Kudos [?]: 4492 [5] , given: 162

Re: The Sequence a(n) is... [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shawndx wrote:
The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3, a(n) is the greater of (a(n-2) +1) and (an-1). (If the two quantities are the same, then an is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of a1 and a2 will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

I am having trouble understanding what the question is asking and also solving it

Take one line of the question at a time and try to make sense of it. Sequence questions seem daunting due to all the subscripts but they are pretty straight forward, generally.

Given: a_n = Greater of (a_{n-2} + 1, a_{n-1}) (n is 3 or greater)
This means that starting from the third term, every term is the greater of (one more than previous to previous term, the previous term)

If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, a_n should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'

So what can you deduce about a_1 and a_2?
1. a_1 + 1 should be greater than a_2 so that a_3 \neq a_2. Reject option (B)

2. To ensure that a_4 \neq a_3, a_4 = a_2 + 1. Therefore, a_2 + 1 > a_3

Option (A) a_3 = 0 which is greater than a_2 + 1 (= -0.5) so reject it.
Option (C) a_3 = 2 which is greater than a_2 + 1 (= 0) so reject it.
Option (E) a_3 = 2.5 which is greater than a_2 + 1 (= 2) so reject it.

Answer must be option (D). a_3 = 2 which is less than a_2 + 1.

OR if you want to think the logical way, realize that the first term must be smaller than the second term but the difference between them should be less than 1 (so that when 1 is added, it becomes more than the second term). If you understand this, then you can quickly jump to option (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 16

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
thank you so much :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 14:05
I do not understand the rule though... so if we were to just substitute values, how would one do that... if n were 3 or 4
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: The Sequence a(n) is... [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 00:38
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shawndx wrote:
The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3, a(n) is the greater of (a(n-2) +1) and (an-1). (If the two quantities are the same, then an is equal to either of them.) Which of the following values of a1 and a2 will produce a sequence in which no value is repeated?

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

Take one line of the question at a time and try to make sense of it. Sequence questions seem daunting due to all the subscripts but they are pretty straight forward, generally.

This means that starting from the third term, every term is the greater of (one more than previous to previous term, the previous term)

If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, a_n should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'

OR if you want to think the logical way, realize that the first term must be smaller than the second term but the difference between them should be less than 1 (so that when 1 is added, it becomes more than the second term). If you understand this, then you can quickly jump to option (D)

@karishma
To be honest what is probability of such questions landing up on your gmat and on what level ...
I think, I would just flip the computer table and walk out rather than solve such types
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 4492 [1] , given: 162

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 01:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shawndx wrote:
I do not understand the rule though... so if we were to just substitute values, how would one do that... if n were 3 or 4

a_3 depends on a_1 and a_2. Given the values of a_1 and a_2, you can find the values of all other terms.

Say if a_1 = 1 and a_2 = 1.5, then
a_3 = Greater (1 + 1, 1.5) = 2
a_4 = Greater (1.5+ 1, 2) = 2.5 etc

On the other hand, if a_1 = 1
a_2 = 1.8, then
a_3 = Greater (1 + 1, 1.8) = 2
a_4 = Greater (1.8+ 1, 2) = 2.8 etc

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4492 [0], given: 162

Re: The Sequence a(n) is... [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 01:21
Expert's post
utkarshlavania wrote:

@karishma
To be honest what is probability of such questions landing up on your gmat and on what level ...
I think, I would just flip the computer table and walk out rather than solve such types

The question is not tough Utkarsh. I would suggest you to go one step at a time and try to figure it out. Such questions can be a part of actual GMAT and it's just a 700+, not exceptionally over the top. It looks complicated but most of the steps would be kind of intuitive after some practice. GMAT excels at testing simple concepts wrapped in a twisted package.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
GPA: 3.83

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: The Sequence a(n) is... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 14:53
shawndx wrote:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for your blog...I have been trying to solve every problem without using a pen per your advice and I am getting better at the quant section as a result.

Here is where I am confused about the above problem:

"If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, n should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'"

I'm reading the rule as A(n) is greater than A(n-2) + 1. Above, you say they must be equal (at least that is how I'm reading it). Overall, the wording of this problem is awkward to me. I've never seen the phrase "...is the greater of". That just means it is great than, right?
Expert Post

Re: The Sequence a(n) is... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 20:29
Expert's post
egiles wrote:
"If we want that every term in the sequence should be unique, n should not be equal to the previous term. It should be equal to 'one more than previous to previous term'"

I'm reading the rule as A(n) is greater than A(n-2) + 1. Above, you say they must be equal (at least that is how I'm reading it). Overall, the wording of this problem is awkward to me. I've never seen the phrase "...is the greater of". That just means it is great than, right?

There are 2 diff things:

1. 'Is greater than'
x is greater than 4 and 5. This means x is a number greater than 5.

2. 'Is greater of'
x is greater of 4 and 5. This means x = 5.
Look at it this way: x = Greater of (4, 5)
First you find that which number is greater out of 4 and 5. x will be equal to that number.

x = Greater of (Last to last term + 1, Last term)
means find which is greater 'Last to last term + 1' or 'Last term'. X will be equal to that.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 165

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 11:35
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 08:41
shawndx wrote:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5
b) a1=-1, a2=1
c) a1=1, a2=-1
d) a1=1, a2=1.5
e) a1=1.5, a2=1

KARISHMA (SORRY FOR CAPS JUST TRYING TO HIGHLIGHT WHERE MY QUESTION IS):

WHEN YOU SAY N IS 3 OR GREATER TOWARDS THE BEGINNING OF YOUR ANSWER HOW EXACTLY DID YOU DEDUCE THAT?
SECONDLY WHEN YOU ARE TESTING ANSWER CHOICES HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE VALUE OF A3? FOR EXAMPLE WHEN YOU TEST CHOICE C HOW DID YOU GET A3 = 2?

Expert Post

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 18:38
Expert's post
sagnik2422 wrote:
KARISHMA (SORRY FOR CAPS JUST TRYING TO HIGHLIGHT WHERE MY QUESTION IS):

WHEN YOU SAY N IS 3 OR GREATER TOWARDS THE BEGINNING OF YOUR ANSWER HOW EXACTLY DID YOU DEDUCE THAT?
SECONDLY WHEN YOU ARE TESTING ANSWER CHOICES HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET THE VALUE OF A3? FOR EXAMPLE WHEN YOU TEST CHOICE C HOW DID YOU GET A3 = 2?

Since all previous quotes have a lighter background, it is easy to see where your question is so don't worry about that.

It is given in the question: "The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater than or equal to 3".

We know that An is greater of A(n-2) + 1 and A(n-1). This means An will be either (A(n-2)+ 1) or A(n-1), whichever is greater!
Now use options:

a) a1=-1, a2=-1.5

A3 = Greater of (A(1)+1, A(2))
A3 = Greater of (-1+1, -1.5)
A3 = Greater of (0, -1.5)
A3 = 0

c) a1=1, a2=-1

A3 = Greater of (A(1)+1, A(2))
A3 = Greater of (1+1, -1)
A3 = Greater of (2, -1)
A3 = 2

and so on...

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The sequence a(n) is defined so that, for all n is greater   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2014, 18:38