Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

44% (02:15) correct 56% (01:23) wrong based on 44 sessions
The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is remembered chiefly for his treaties on motion and gravity. But Newton also conducted experiments secretly for many years based on the arcane theories of alchemy, trying unsuccessfully to transmute common metals into gold and produce rejuvenating elixirs. If the alchemists of the seventeenth century had published the results of their experiments, chemistry in the eighteenth century would have been more advanced than it actually was.

Which one of the following assumptions would allow the conclusion concerning eighteenth-century chemistry to be properly drawn?
(A) Scientific progress is retarded by the reluctance of historians to acknowledge the failures of some of the great scientists.
(B) Advances in science are hastened when reports of experiments, whether successful or not, are available for review by other scientists.
(C) Newton's work on motion and gravity would not have gained wide acceptance if the results of his work in alchemy had also been make public.
(D) Increasing specialization within the sciences makes it difficult for scientists in one field to understand the principles of other fields.
(E) The seventeenth-century alchemists could have achieved their goals only if their experiments had been subjected to public scrutiny.

Please explain....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 03:13
Between B and E

I choose B

livin in a prison island...

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 04:49
I will also go with B. The conclusion of science would have been more advanced is only true if B is true.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 06:37
I'm for B
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 08:36
B is the only possible answer.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 09:43
B...........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 15:08
Yep. B. It's just the missing link btw the conclusion and the premises.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 01:01
B clearly by negating it.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 20:08
I narrow down to A and B. Why A is wrong, plz kindly help me to explain

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 04:03
This post received
KUDOS
MICKEYXITIN wrote:

Choice A: The "reluctance of historians" is irrelevant to whether Chemistry in the 18th century would have been more advanced...

Choice A would be correct if the stimulus states something along these lines:

"If the historians of the eighteenth century had exposed the failures of the scientists, chemistry in the eighteenth century would have been more advanced than it actually was".
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 876 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
MICKEYXITIN wrote:

Yes, even I spent good 20 secs to analyze that.

(A) Scientific progress is retarded by the reluctance of historians to acknowledge the failures of some of the great scientists.

"Retarded by" seems like saying the progress is neutralized. Pretty strong. Author says that advancement or the progress was indeed present(not neutral) but it'd have been more intense if historians had revealed the failures. Subtle difference.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 22:40
thank you for your time helping me :) both your sayings are valuable for me. it is more clear now bw A and B

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 00:43
B
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 876 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
vineetgupta wrote:
The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is remembered chiefly for his treaties on motion and gravity. But Newton also conducted experiments secretly for many years based on the arcane theories of alchemy, trying unsuccessfully to transmute common metals into gold and produce rejuvenating elixirs. If the alchemists of the seventeenth century had published the results of their experiments, chemistry in the eighteenth century would have been more advanced than it actually was.

Premise:
Newton is remembered for his theories about motion and general physics.
Newton also conducted some experiments in alchemy, a field in chemistry that deals with metals.

Conclusion:
If Newton had published the results of alchemy related experiments, the chemistry would have been advanced at a later time.

Possible Assumption:
The results of experiment that Newton conducted must have been of some use for the advancements of chemistry later.

Which one of the following assumptions would allow the conclusion concerning eighteenth-century chemistry to be properly drawn?

This is a fact that's somewhat related to the argument, but doesn't help the argument.

As I earlier explained, "retarded by" tells us that the reluctance causes negative impact on the progress.
We don't really know whether Newton's experiments were failures or success.

If absence of something results into something doesn't mean that presence of it would have an exactly opposite consequence.

In simple terms,
Historians not acknowledging the failures retards the progress DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean that acknowledging it would cause progress OR advancement.

(B) Advances in science are hastened when reports of experiments, whether successful or not, are available for review by other scientists.

This is precisely what we wanted. The results from Newton's experiments would have been either successful or unsuccessful. Either way, the process of REPORTING does have a positive impact on the advancement of science.

Really helps the argument.

Correct.

(C) Newton's work on motion and gravity would not have gained wide acceptance if the results of his work in alchemy had also been make public.
This is tangential to the argument. We are not concerned with whether Newton's work or which of his works gains popularity. We are just concerned about the non-reporting of experiments AND advancements in science, none of which is mentioned here.

(D) Increasing specialization within the sciences makes it difficult for scientists in one field to understand the principles of other fields.
Doesn't talk about the argument. Moreover, it is more like a fact about present days sciences. No mention of Newton's work and reporting.

(E) The seventeenth-century alchemists could have achieved their goals only if their experiments had been subjected to public scrutiny.
This is another drawback of not reporting the results, but doesn't tell us anything how the non-reporting caused the sluggishness in a later century.

A causes B.
Yeah; A also causes Z.
I am not interested in know whether A causes Z. I am more interested in knowing how A causes B, that's it.

Please explain....

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.53
WE: Other (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 01:32
B!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Newton [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 04:46
B clearly stands out

Looking for Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 06:13
IMO A is wrong because it mentions historians, who are not there anywhere in the stimulus.

reluctance of historians to acknowledge the failures of some of the great scientists is Irrelevant.
The passage says that if alchemists published those findings, unsuccessful or not, chemistry in the 18th century would have been more advanced than it actually was.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 09:02
There is close contention only between B and E .
B is the right answer.
E can be eliminated based on the simple logic that we do not know what are the goals of the scientists .Are their goals really to make a breakthorugh in inventing something new ? We dont know for sure .Hence eliminate E.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 09:30
B it is.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 03:20
+1 B

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Re: The seventeenth-century physicist Sir Isaac Newton is   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2012, 03:20