Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1114--Yana [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 07:29
Just bumping this thread up . I am still confused on what OA is .
I am betting on D here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 07:35
OA is A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1114--Yana [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 03:21
chunjuwu wrote:
The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

A. banked with dirt to a height of
B. banked with dirt as high as that of
C. banked them with dirt to a height of
D. was banked with dirt as high as
E. was banked with dirt as high as that of

Can you confirm ur source please?

I wonder why do we have two OA's. Because I want it to be D. :roll:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 08:12
noooo... someone should have labelled this with GMATprep title...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
B "as high as that of" is confusing, awkward, and stylistically poor.

§ C "them" is unnecessary and has no clear referent.

§ D "was" is unnecessary, given the construction, and "as high as" is wordy and awkward.

§ E "was" is unnecessary and "as high as that of" is wordy, awkward, and stylistically poor.

ANSWER: A Clear, concise, and without errors.

In 'D' the word 'was' is refuting the parallel construction of the sentence.

Compare the following 2 sentences-

....its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark....and banked with dirt to a height of

OR
....its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark....and was banked with dirt as high as...

The first one looks better!

Other Explanation for A

Never do we say "the bridge was as high as 300ft", or "the building was as high as that of 100ft".

We definitely do say "the bridge was as high as the Sears tower", or "the building was as high as the tower".

Comparisons gives an idea about where one entity stands next to the other. All the rest choices here gives an idea where the entity stands next to its own height!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 15:03
Close call between A and D.
I am going with A.

The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

||ism.

- Brajesh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 22:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1749

CAT Tests
Re: [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 22:11
msrinath wrote:
B "as high as that of" is confusing, awkward, and stylistically poor.

§ C "them" is unnecessary and has no clear referent.

§ D "was" is unnecessary, given the construction, and "as high as" is wordy and awkward.

§ E "was" is unnecessary and "as high as that of" is wordy, awkward, and stylistically poor.

ANSWER: A Clear, concise, and without errors.

In 'D' the word 'was' is refuting the parallel construction of the sentence.

Compare the following 2 sentences-

....its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark....and banked with dirt to a height of

OR
....its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark....and was banked with dirt as high as...

The first one looks better!

Other Explanation for A

Never do we say "the bridge was as high as 300ft", or "the building was as high as that of 100ft".

We definitely do say "the bridge was as high as the Sears tower", or "the building was as high as the tower".

Comparisons gives an idea about where one entity stands next to the other. All the rest choices here gives an idea where the entity stands next to its own height!

Good explanation especially with regards to the comparison.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1749

CAT Tests
Re: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 05:50
Ron's explanation is good:http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gmat-prep-sc-single-family-house-t1827.html
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 07:37
chunjuwu wrote:

A. banked with dirt to a height of
B. banked with dirt as high as that of
C. banked them with dirt to a height of
D. was banked with dirt as high as
E. was banked with dirt as high as that of

I Got finally with A and B . . I choosed B :(

My elimination process
D and E are wrong because it does not have parallel structure- "Poles overlaid" should be parallel with "banked"

C is out because Pronoun - "them" is confusing.

So with A and B.
B is out because here we are not comparing any thin. But "as high as" is used for comparing the things.

Correct answer : A
Re: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native   [#permalink] 15 May 2014, 07:37