Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 16:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:43) correct 14% (00:54) wrong based on 6 sessions
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 17:31
Following the pattern - not only at ... but at .. we can eliminate C and D.

Skill and precision together are plural "and skill .. is" is incorrect. This eliminates A.

So between B and E "skill in measuring" sounds better (ie. more idiomatic) than "skill to measure"

Hence B is my answer.

nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 21:16
bsd_lover wrote:
Following the pattern - not only at ... but at .. we can eliminate C and D.

Skill and precision together are plural "and skill .. is" is incorrect. This eliminates A.

So between B and E "skill in measuring" sounds better (ie. more idiomatic) than "skill to measure"

Hence B is my answer.

nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at



agree with bsd_lover

same logic.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 21:33
Yes B, Noun of Noun in V-ing is more idiomatic than Noun of Noun + to infinitive V
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 06:25
nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


I can eliminate D, and E easily and eliminated C also ('at' infront of not only) but I am struggling to decide between A and B.

I chose A as my answer but everybody else went for B.

I thought 'measuring the movements' should be singular, isn't it? how this is plural? can some one explain in more detail?

I know 'movements' is plural but we are talking about 'measuring the movements' right? measure is an activity and thinking this is singular ...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 06:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


I can eliminate D, and E easily and eliminated C also ('at' infront of not only) but I am struggling to decide between A and B.

I chose A as my answer but everybody else went for B.

I thought 'measuring the movements' should be singular, isn't it? how this is plural? can some one explain in more detail?

I know 'movements' is plural but we are talking about 'measuring the movements' right? measure is an activity and thinking this is singular ...

Subject here are The skill and the precision of the Anasazi
in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is modifier for subject, not subject
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 06:54
Minheequang wrote:
ugimba wrote:
nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


I can eliminate D, and E easily and eliminated C also ('at' infront of not only) but I am struggling to decide between A and B.

I chose A as my answer but everybody else went for B.

I thought 'measuring the movements' should be singular, isn't it? how this is plural? can some one explain in more detail?

I know 'movements' is plural but we are talking about 'measuring the movements' right? measure is an activity and thinking this is singular ...

Subject here are The skill and the precision of the Anasazi
in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is modifier for subject, not subject



oh ...gotcha .. thank you ... may be I was too focussing on the answer choice(s) alone. +1 for ya.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 8
Location: New York
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 17:51
Minheequang wrote:
Yes B, Noun of Noun in V-ing is more idiomatic than Noun of Noun + to infinitive V


Can you elaborate on what you wrote ?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Bangalore,India
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 324

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 18:30
Minheequang wrote:
Yes B, Noun of Noun in V-ing is more idiomatic than Noun of Noun + to infinitive V



How valid is this
Yeah even i would choose B
_________________

One Final Try.......

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 20:32
tenaman10 wrote:
Why D is incorrect ??

Because "is evidenced" is incorrect, plural should be used here.
_________________

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 64
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 08:55
tenaman10 wrote:
Why D is incorrect ??



I think D is not correct because of two reasons:
1. 'to measure'... i think it should be 'in measuring' because it is following 'precision'.
2. 'is' is wrong. It should be 'are' because we got 'skill and precision' as subject to the verb.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 06:55
I think we use infinitive form for an action which is to be done, but here we are talking abt ancient Anasazi. So, in measuring will be preferable to to measure.

Correct me, if I am wrong.
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 245
Location: Ukraine
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 07:27
nightwing79 wrote:
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


lookong fot the parallelism - so C, D are out.
skill and precision - require plural, so A and D are out as well
in measuring sounds better than to measure - but I don`t know the exact reason
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1563
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:37
Precision should be followed by "in". you have "precision in doing something". precision to do something is awkward

Idiom: skill in doing something.

"His skill in teaching" is better than "His skill to teach"
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 375 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 07:46
Hi this is a common pattern which is checked on gmat.

"The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest," is just a phrase without any verb.

I need a gerund (ing) to complete the action in the active voice.

B does that wonderfully.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Anasazi [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 09:00
A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at
subject verb agreement

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at
correct

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
subject verb agreement

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced at not only
subject verb agreement

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at
wrong idiom
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 134
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 222

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 05:14
Can someone please tell when to use "To do some something " and when to use "In doing something"? I was down to B and E but couldn't choose thereafter...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 312
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 07:00
LET ME HIGHLIGHT THE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES.............

The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

SUBJECT- SKILL AND PRECISION...... VERBSHOULD BE " ARE".... A, C AND E ... GONE...
BALANCE B AND E.....

NOT ONLY AT -------- BUT AT ----------- ...... IS CORRECT IN BOTH......
SKILL AND PRECISION IN MEASURING ( AS IN "B") IS CORRECT.....SKILL AND PRECISION TO MEASURE ( AS IN "E") IS INCORRECT.

HENCE ANSWER = B


BELOW---- INCORRECT PORTIONS HIGHLIGHTED...

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at......CORRECT

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE...........
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 134
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 222

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 07:22
semwal wrote:
LET ME HIGHLIGHT THE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES.............

The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient inhabitants of the Southwest, in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon is evidenced not only at Chaco Canyon but at a number of other sites.

SUBJECT- SKILL AND PRECISION...... VERBSHOULD BE " ARE".... A, C AND E ... GONE...
BALANCE B AND E.....

NOT ONLY AT -------- BUT AT ----------- ...... IS CORRECT IN BOTH......
SKILL AND PRECISION IN MEASURING ( AS IN "B") IS CORRECT.....SKILL AND PRECISION TO MEASURE ( AS IN "E") IS INCORRECT.

HENCE ANSWER = B


BELOW---- INCORRECT PORTIONS HIGHLIGHTED...

A. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced not only at

B. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at......CORRECT

C. in measuring the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced at not only

D. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moonis evidenced at not only

E. to measure the movements of the Sun and Moon are evidenced not only at


KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE...........

Thanks for your explanation .. But aren't both the idioms right? And if Yes then in what context should they be used?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 716
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 02:19
We wont see such question in current format of GMAT, as we know that GMAT is drifting away from questions testing subtle idiom differences to preserve its status as an international exam.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 02:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient GMATBLACKBELT 7 01 Feb 2008, 12:48
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient pmenon 4 27 Dec 2007, 17:13
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient empty_spaces 5 31 Jul 2007, 14:12
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient jyotsnasarabu 8 03 Dec 2006, 10:19
The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient crackgmat750 9 05 Aug 2004, 13:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The skill and the precision of the Anasazi, ancient

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.