Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The source is from an MGMAT cat, both the explanations they

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The source is from an MGMAT cat, both the explanations they [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 13:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The source is from an MGMAT cat, both the explanations they give just seem to be wrong to me, especially for the last one. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

For millennia, the Nile River flooded nearly every year as a natural consequence of heavy summer rains on the Ethiopian Plateau; in the last century, as the population in the region exploded, the cycle of flooding interspersed with periodic drought caused widespread suffering for the local population. In the mid-1950s, the Egyptian government concluded that a significant dam was necessary to enable the country's economic development to be on a par with that of Western nations. The Aswan Dam would prevent the annual flooding, generate hydroelectric power and supply a steady source of water for residents and agricultural activities, though it would also have other, less positive effects.
By the 1970s, most Egyptian villages had electric power, and the dam provided approximately half of Egypt's entire output of electricity. The benefits were counteracted, however, by consequences which were sometimes slow to appear but ruinous in their long-term effects. Dams prevent silt from flowing through to downstream lands. The silt is essential for renewing the minerals and nutrients that make the land fertile; before the dam, the Nile floodplain was famously productive. Farmers have had to substitute artificial fertilizers, reducing profits and causing pervasive chemical pollution with deleterious effects for the human, animal and plant populations living near or in the river. It is difficult to draw definite conclusions about a project with such substantial and varied results, but it would be untenable to assert that the Egyptian government should never have built the Aswan Dam.

The author's attitude toward the Aswan Dam Project is best reflected by which of the following phrases?

A) inconsistent support

B) strict neutrality

C) keen enthusiasm

D) mild endorsement

E) cautious opposition

Based upon the content of the passage, the author would most likely agree with which of the following propositions?

A) If a plan achieves its stated goals, it should still be carried out, even in the face of unintended negative results.

B) Planners of highly complex projects should expect some unintended negative consequences, even if they cannot foresee what those consequences will be.

C)Although a major undertaking may have unpredictable results, those results are not necessarily grounds for condemning the entire endeavor.

D)Any potential positive and negative effects should be weighed before starting a project of considerable magnitude or complexity.

E)It is necessary to determine the net impact of all outcomes, good and bad, before deciding whether to denounce the overall project.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 50

Re: I don't agree with these answers...What do you think? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 17:35
Here are my answers

1. E (cautious opposition)

2. B (Planners of highly complex projects should expect some unintended negative consequences, even if they cannot foresee what those consequences will be.)

Would like to understand the OE after some discussion.....

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 1

Re: I don't agree with these answers...What do you think? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Tough passage. The super-tricky thing about it is that it *seems* to follow a tried and true format (pro-con) but at the last possible minute--and without warning--the author declares his/her overall point of view (pro) with a sneaky double-negative, making the structure (pro-con-pro).

Question (1)

That last part of the final sentence: "it would be untenable to assert that the Egyptian government should never have built the Aswam Dam" actually means "yes, the Egyptian government probably should have built the dam." "Untenable" means "unable to be defended from attack"-- so if a conclusion is "untenable," it means that conclusion is wrong. If we say that the conclusion that they should NEVER have built the dam is WRONG, that means they SHOULD have built the dam.

The author is clearly coming out in favor of the dam (despite some very serious negative effects laid out in most of the 2nd paragraph), so nix (B) and (E). Those serious negative effects kick (C) out of the running, since the author's support of the dam is not without reservation. This leaves (A) and (D). The wording of (A) is also quite tricky, because a reasonable person might say "hey, he/she's being inconsistent by swinging so strongly from pro to con to pro." But while the author's *tone* may seem inconsistent, and that last *sentence* may seem a little inconsistent with what immediately precedes it, the author's *support* itself is consistent internally--he/she supports the project. Choice (D) is our answer.

Question (2)

I just posted in the CR forum about watching out for certain suspicious "red flag" words in CR questions. The same thing holds true for RC questions.

(A) "should"-- if you see the word "should" (or another word that implies a recommendation), make sure there is an actual recommendation asserted somewhere, and if there is one, that the recommendation's scope is worded very precisely. Not only is this a huge jump to make (all plans? really? with any kind of consequences?) but the author says nothing directly about a link between his/her approval of the damn and the fact that it met intended goals. Out.

(B) "should" again--they should? always? says who? Out.

(C) This is very similar to the last sentence of the passage, right down that nasty double negative. Hold onto it.

(D) "should" again. The author makes no recommendation about weighing side effects before starting the project. Also "before" (and other time markers) can often fall into that "red flag word" category. Out.

(E) "necessary" and "all"--make sure any absolute statements are supported absolutely in the passage. ALL outcomes? Every possible one? That's a tall order. And NECESSARY? Says who?

You didn't post an OA for this q, but I'd go with C.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: I don't agree with these answers...What do you think? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 02:24
Before reading the explanation I selected E, but when I saw D in the explanation, I realized that the important sentence is "but it would be untenable to assert that the Egyptian government should never have built the Aswan Dam.", this means he supports it more than he rejects it, not by much though.

A) There is no inconsistency, he simply presents counter facts which he acknowledges.

B) Incorrect, as he stands on one side.

C) He stands on one side, but not to the point of being "enthusiast". The language is too extreme.

D) Correct.

E) Incorrect, as he supports the project.
Re: I don't agree with these answers...What do you think?   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2010, 02:24