Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:18) correct 42% (01:18) wrong based on 36 sessions
The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occured in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force

Very interesting answer choices. I narrowed it down to 2 (easily), but chose the wrong one. Now I understand why it was wrong, and hope you guys can learn to from the discussion.

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1520 [0], given: 247

Re: Tricky GMAT Prep: Spectacular disintegrated comet [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 19:02
Expert's post
A clause joined by the coordinating conjunction is required to have a full working verb, which, choices B, C and D are lacking, by using the incorrect present participial, 'thus forcing"

In E, the time of the disintegration i.e. last year has been placed far distant from the disintegration. We cannot separate last year and disintegration as that choice ends up with a wrong word order.

A is the choice, IMO

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky GMAT Prep: Spectacular disintegrated comet [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 19:40
A seems to looks the best.

B - out because of lackof parallelism
C - this was my other suspect....but the use of "When" should refer to a time period...thought it is "last year," still does not convey the message correctly.
D and E - awkward.

More detailed explanation one-on-one from experts would help.
I don't know if this modifier issue...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky GMAT Prep: Spectacular disintegrated comet [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 20:44
It is A. E is wrong because it suggests that disintegration has provided insights in full view of telescopes. Tricky.

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 160 [5] , given: 1

Re: Tricky GMAT Prep: Spectacular disintegrated comet [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I agree with daagh that the use of "and" here necessitates a verb in the first part of the sentence. Notice that there is no verb at all in the non-underlined portion, so you need a verb in the underlined portion. But the underlined portion says "A and thus B"--so A and B need to be parallel, and they must both contain verbs. As daagh says, that knocks off B, C, and D.

I also agree that the meaning shifts in E, but I have a different (grammatical) reason for losing E. There is a verb split between A and E-- "provided" versus "has provided." What might help us distinguish which of these options is incorrect? Both sentences use the phrase "last year," but you cannot use the present perfect tense (has/have + past participle) if you name the specific point in the past when that action happened.

Last year, I ate 10 pizzas. CORRECT
Last year, I have eaten 10 pizzas. INCORRECT

In 1998, I owned twenty pairs of shoes. CORRECT
In 1998, I have owned twenty pairs of shoes. INCORRECT

One thing to be careful of when applying this rule is the word "since"--"since 1998" means...in the period of time between 1998 and leading up to the present," so you *can* use a specific date with "since" and the present perfect.

Since 1998, I have been to Paris four times. CORRECT
In 1998, I went to Paris four times. CORRECT (but different meaning)
In 1988, I have gone to Paris four times. INCORRECT.

E incorrectly uses the present perfect, so A is our answer.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 11:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Note:
(1) "and" is a very important PARALLEL marker. Two parts before and after "and" must be parallel.
(2) Verb+ed modifier always modifies preceding NOUN

The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force
Correct. Good structure: X provided.... and thus may force......

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing
Wrong. Modifier problem. Verb+ed modifier always modifies preceding NOUN. "provided" modifies "telescopes" <-- wrong.

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occured in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing
Wrong. Parallelism problem. Past tens vs. Verb-ing modifier

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing
Wrong. Parallelism problem. Past tens vs. Verb-ing modifier

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force
Wrong. Tense problem. Present perfect never goes with "Last year".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2013, 00:41