Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (01:38) correct 38% (00:46) wrong based on 127 sessions
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

b) is geared to enhance the performance of athletes and to prepare them

c) are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

e) are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
Since the subject of the sentence is "The Sports Medicine Programs", you correctly identified that the corrected sentence needs to begin with "are". So, that narrows it down to C,D,E.

As for the question of C vs. E

C: "Athletes' performance and their preparation" is incorrect because it should be "Athletes' performance and preparation"

D: Similar issue to D, since it uses them

In E, there are no issues and thus it's the correct answer.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
E is preferred over C due to parallel construction. Compare...

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation

Vs

are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them

I hope this explains.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:
The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center, a complex where final tryouts are held for athletes representing the United States in the Olympics, is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation for international competition.

a) is geared toward enhancing athletes' performance and toward their preparation

d) are geared toward the enhancement of athletes' performance and toward preparing them

In this problem, I chose C as my answer, however the OA is E. Would someone please explain why?
thanks

A, B are out because of "is".
C, D are out because "their" and "them" cannot refer to "athlete's performance".
E is correct.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 00:57
dushver wrote:

Vs

I hope this explains.

ok I agree with that, but in general, if we have a possessive such as "athletes' performance", then of course we can't use "them" to refer to the "athletes" because "athletes" didn't appear. But we could use a possessive proun "their" to refer to the possessive "athlete's performance", no? I understand your explanation perfectly well. i'm only concerned that in the future, whether possessive pronouns can refer to the nouns that are in possessive. Also, this is how i looked at option C:

you see, if you look at the sentence this way, it would appear to be parallel. so how can I avoid myself from looking at sentences this way? because whenever I see "and", I tend to look at the words on both sides. When I looked the the sentence this way, it appeared to me that "are geared to enhance" is implied after "and" such as :

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and (are geared to enhance) their preparation

you see my mistake? what's wrong with that? cause that would appear parallel if you look at it this way. How can I avoid being parallel with the wrong words? how did you know that this is not the tested parallelism?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 01:55
tarek99 wrote:
dushver wrote:

Vs

I hope this explains.

ok I agree with that, but in general, if we have a possessive such as "athletes' performance", then of course we can't use "them" to refer to the "athletes" because "athletes" didn't appear. But we could use a possessive proun "their" to refer to the possessive "athlete's performance", no? I understand your explanation perfectly well. i'm only concerned that in the future, whether possessive pronouns can refer to the nouns that are in possessive. Also, this is how i looked at option C:

you see, if you look at the sentence this way, it would appear to be parallel. so how can I avoid myself from looking at sentences this way? because whenever I see "and", I tend to look at the words on both sides. When I looked the the sentence this way, it appeared to me that "are geared to enhance" is implied after "and" such as :

are geared to enhance athletes' performance and (are geared to enhance) their preparation

you see my mistake? what's wrong with that? cause that would appear parallel if you look at it this way. How can I avoid being parallel with the wrong words? how did you know that this is not the tested parallelism?

I think, this is a general problem for international guys, not excluding me. 8-)

One guide from Manhattan is that the PARALELLISM needs not only perallel in structure, but also in meaning of the sentence. But, somtimes we do not know a new words, for example "enhance" or we do not know whether "enhance their preparation" is akward or not! How can we avoid that trap?

CALL FOR ANY TIPS AND HELP TO AVOID THIS TRAP!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 01:59
tarek99 wrote:

In this problem, I chose C as my answer, however the OA is E. Would someone please explain why?
thanks

E because of two things i) subject verb agreement "The sports medicine programs are"

ii) Paralellism. are geared toward enhancing the performance of athletes and preparing them
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 02:48
yellowjacket wrote:
Since the subject of the sentence is "The Sports Medicine Programs", you correctly identified that the corrected sentence needs to begin with "are". So, that narrows it down to C,D,E.

As for the question of C vs. E

C: "Athletes' performance and their preparation" is incorrect because it should be "Athletes' performance and preparation"

D: Similar issue to D, since it uses them

In E, there are no issues and thus it's the correct answer.

I agree with this explanation. "Their" is excessive in the sentence, making the answer choices wordy and less clear..
I would not go with E just because of ||sm.
C. are geared to enhance athletes' performance and their preparation
performance and preparation are parallel here.
P.S. possessive pronoun indeed can refer back to the possessive case: John's work was evaluated by his tutor - Correct.
This not the case with object and subject pronouns (him, he etc.). John's tutor asked him - Wrong.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 02:59
sondenso wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
dushver wrote:

Vs

I hope this explains.

I think, this is a general problem for international guys, not excluding me. 8-)

One guide from Manhattan is that the PARALELLISM needs not only perallel in structure, but also in meaning of the sentence. But, somtimes we do not know a new words, for example "enhance" or we do not know whether "enhance their preparation" is akward or not! How can we avoid that trap?

CALL FOR ANY TIPS AND HELP TO AVOID THIS TRAP!

thanks for the input, but dude, don't i at least sound like i'm trying to do just that? trying to seek tips and help from anyone? heheh....HELP! is what I meant to say in my first post of this thread...heheh...i'm just in a good mood today. so can anyone help me out?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 03:15
But how about prepositional phrase vs. prepositional phrase parallelism? I strongly believe that there should be 'toward' before 'preparing' too... what am I missing? Isn't the preposition mandatory for both sides of the parallelism? :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 03:43
E would be a better choice because C make it sound like programs are geared to enhance preparation - that is NOT right.

thanks[/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 04:05
As I am not a native speaker, I can see only redundant problem with answer C. Their is rudundant in sentence C.
Athletes' performance and preparation would be correct, I think.

E is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 01:57
why is it plural? I thought "Sports Medicine Programs" is a proper noun hence singular. ????
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 12:03
how can a plural subject be at the same time "a complex", which is a singular name?
Please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 18:44
noboru wrote:
how can a plural subject be at the same time "a complex", which is a singular name?
Please clarify.

a complex is not modifying (the plural subject) The Sports Medicine Programs, it is modifying the training center which is singular.

If you omit the modifier, the sentence looks like The Sports Medicine Programs of the Olympic Training Center ARE geared toward enhancing... which is correct.

coming back to the debate of C and E, i chose E ...
In C, if I consider athletes' performance and their preparation ||, then it would mean that enhance their performance(which is good) and enhance their preparation (can you enhance the preparation??)..

tarek99 wrote:

here in E the sentence is the performance of athletes and preparing them
so we are not using them with athletes' performance which is a possessive pronoun.

E is Correct
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 12:52
E, but I have got this wrong initially.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 02:23
tarek99 wrote:

thanks

The answer is E.
The subject is plural so we need the plural verb form "are". This eliminates answer choices A and B.
D is out on parallelism.
C correctly uses the plural verb form "are" but it is incorrect as it is awkward. Moreover, you should avoid using the plural possessive form (s') in an answer choice as it is incorrect more than 90% of the time. If you are faced with two correct answer choices, go for the one which doesn't use the plural possessive form. Moreover, E uses parallelism correctly.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:51
down to C and E, went for E.
:)
possessives can not antecedents of a pronoun.(their)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:06

We know clearly S-V issue. In "E" along with S-V agreement correctly formed, enhancing is clearly parallel with preparing. vs. C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 12:33
dushver wrote:

Vs

I hope this explains.

Thanks for this explanation..
Even i choose C but now I am convinced that E is correct..
Re: SC: Sports Medicine Programs   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2011, 12:33