Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 20:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:14) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, weather conditions that could not be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had anticipated.

(A) weather conditions that could not be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had
(B) weather conditions that cannot be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than
(C) unforeseeable weather conditions, and pilot errors are the cause of much larger deposits of spray than they had
(D) weather conditions that are not foreseeable, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than
(E) unforeseeable weather conditions, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 781

Re: Hard SC- 9 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 21:28
shygo wrote:
The spraying of pesticides can be carefully planned, but accidents, weather conditions that could not be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had anticipated.

(A) weather conditions that could not be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had
(B) weather conditions that cannot be foreseen, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than
(C) unforeseeable weather conditions, and pilot errors are the cause of much larger deposits of spray than they had
(D) weather conditions that are not foreseeable, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than
(E) unforeseeable weather conditions, and pilot errors often cause much larger deposits of spray than they had

This one is very wierd. whats the source, shygo?

In A, C and E, "they" does not have any referent. IMO, these choices can be eliminated for that reason alone.

I found no reason to pick one choice out of B and D. :oops:

Praet
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 21:34
D.

"they" does not sound correct in the sentence.

GS
No excuses - Need 750!!!

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 21:37
Praet, I got this question from BB's SC set.

I also could not decide between B and D. :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 22:53
i go with D

'cannot be forseen' is not correct usage because one cannot predict whether it can forseen or not...
one can however speculate about the near future, hence ' not forseeable'

that's my line of thought.... any takers?

Don't drink and derive!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hard SC- 9 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2004, 23:14
D looks correct. 'than anticipated' is correct I believe as 'they' is hanging out there without proper reference.

So, between B & D. 'not foreseeable' indicates proper sense of inability to forecast weather. 'cannot be foreseen' indicates that it is impossible to forecast weather, which looks too restrained in its implication.

Thus, D stands tall 8-)

shygo wrote:

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 00:58
A. B and D are out for parallelism. Between C and E, I pick C

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'r gonna get"

SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 01:17
bigtooth81 wrote:
A. B and D are out for parallelism. Between C and E, I pick C

If you pick see, then explain what THEY means? Accidents? Errors? Pesticides?

B and D both seem to be OK. I opt for B because of a stronger verb--accidents, weather conditions, and errors CAUSE (not ARE the cause)larger deposits...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 08:20
Between B and D , i will go for B. D uses "are" which seems to suggest present tense. I dont think there is any issue between cannot be foreseen and unforeseeable. Both are correct. This is classic ETS way to confuse people.
All said, this one is really close call SC.
Now will the original poster provide OA and source of this SC?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 09:08
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2004, 09:54
The OA is B :wink: