Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 22:48
Hello GC!

To begin with, this forum is just phenomenal! I have been browsing two days and it is mind boggling how much this community has to offer. It is by far one of the best forums I have come across and I'm so glad I found this as I prepare for the GMAT.

So... I have a little bit over 5 weeks to study for the GMAT.

The following is the "discovery/diagnostic" process before I create my study plan and I was curious as to what you guys thought:

1 - Go over the 90 free questions on GMATPrep Software
2 - Take GMAT Club diagnostic Test
3 - Take Kaplan 2010 practice test online (I got Kaplan's GMAT 2010 edition from a friend)
4 - Take one of the practice exams on the GMATPrep software
5 - Review strengths and weaknesses and analyse error logs
6 - Create 5 week study plan.

My goal: get all this done by 11/4/12.

On average, I plan to study 20 hrs+ per week.

I was thinking about purchasing the latest MGMAT Complete Strategy Guide and OG GMAT Review. That will give me 8 computer adaptive tests. But overall, I'm afraid I might not have enough time to study all the material...

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions or tips?

And thanks in advance. Seriously, I can't stress enough how appreciative I am of having this forum in my arsenal of resources to help me prepare.

Oz
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:51
Seems like a good plan there are some study plans already out there this is a popular one suggested by bb

gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html

practicing with official questions is important so finish the OG first and then move on to other materials.some members have compiled questions from the GMAT prep which can be downloaded from here mostly 700 level questions though (save them up for later)

download.php
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 07:32
I agree with the post above. It is very important to study official questions, the OG is great for this. I agree that you may not have enough time to study the MGMAT set of books; however, it is still important to study from the best materials possible. Use the matierlas on this site, there is lots of good stuff here. Good luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:34
Expert's post
Why a 5 week study plan?
Are you already on the 700 level?
I committed the same mistake and rushed to take the GMAT. Trust me, first gauge your performance by taking a CAT and if you get -50 of your desired score, then I will suggest to take the GMAT after 5 week preparation.MGMAT is the best series for the GMAT and just go through it once. One more thing to be noted that if you prepare for GMAT religiously, there will be a time when you will fall in love with this test.
Gud luck.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 21:25
Thank you all for your responses.

Marcab, to answer your question: The deadline for the uni I want to apply to is February 28th giving me enough time to make two attempts at the GMAT if I plan it right. However, if I were to go all in with one attempt, that will give me 3 months to prepare. Like you said, I'll get a better idea of where I stand once I take the practice exam which I plan on doing this weekend. Meanwhile, I'm familiarizing myself with the format and type of questions; basically doing practice problems.

I've ordered the OG, MGMAT complete guide and, powerscore CR bible from Amazon and I should be receiving them by this weekend.

All that being said.. gauging by the practice problems, I just might need 3 months to study. I guess I wasn't as smart as I thought, lol.

Anyways, let's see how I do on that practice exam.

Oz
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1990

Kudos [?]: 6438 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 21:44
Expert's post
Couple things you need to know:
1. Where you are right now - e.g. what is your current score?
2. Where you want to get (do you want to improve 50, 100, or xxx points?)

That would clarify quite a bit as to what we can recommend.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 21:08
Thanks bb.

I took the gmatprep practice exam today and made the mistake of quitting after the quant section instead of pausing the exam. I didn't have enough time for verbal so I figured I'd check and analyse my quant score really quick. Well, the practice exam apparently doesn't work that way and you have to take the whole exam to see your score. So.. I'm going to attempt the whole thing again after work tomorrow.

But, gauging by how I'm doing on practice problems these past two days, it's not looking all that great; it's a little disheartening to be honest, lol. But.. I'm enjoying that these problems make you think outside the box. Let's see what I score.

BTW, great job on the website bb. You and the people that made this happen, kudos to all of you!

Oz
Intern
Intern

Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 20:16
Well.. I made a 580 q35 v35.

I'm extremely disappointed with my quant score; I thought that would be my strength. From doing practice problems I knew it wasn't going to be good but I didn't expect it to be that bad either. That's a real bummer.

I guess a change of strategy is in order because I doubt I can bring my score up by a 100 in 5 weeks. Instead, I'm thinking I'll take it end of Jan. That should give me roughly 3 months to study which I hope should give me enough time.

I've started working through the practice problems in the OG; finding my specific weaknesses (equations, exponents, etc). Then I'll focus on these issues using the MGMAT books. I think that should be a good start. Right?

Oz
Re: The start of my 5 wk study plan... Thoughts?   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2012, 20:16