Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 18:16
I would go with A. Other options are either wordy or grammatically incorrect.

Btw, I took my GMAT just 3 days back and this was my very first question.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 21:12
siddheart22 wrote:
I would go with A. Other options are either wordy or grammatically incorrect.

Btw, I took my GMAT just 3 days back and this was my very first question.

i thought in GMAT you get new questions only
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 12:57
I was stuck between A and C.

After reviewing I realized that more than the difference between Rules intended VS Rules intending, if we spot the difference in meaning of the two sentences, A wins as are patients, not the hospital's emergency room, which are put through a triage.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Anderson '15
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 19:29
It's an example of absolute phrase, which contains a noun and a noun modifier and modifies the whole clause or sentence. It provides additional information.

See example below.

at-the-annual-stockholders-meeting-investors-heard-a-141860.html
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 08:40
age wrote:
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

OA....will be provided later...plz explain....

Purpose is always shown by infinitive to + verb (to ensure)
ensuring and intending is awkard in option B & C
Option D .."ensuring and should" is redundant.
Option E.."this,that,these, should always be followed by a noun,Hence wrong

Option A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 77

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 23:03
David is right,also essure should connect with that.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 210

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 10:16
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

Option A is presenting an absolute phrase modifer, which looks fine. I was only concerned with the meaning of "triage" whether it should modify nurses or patient.
I googled out its meaning and found that it is a process of prioritizing patients in a order as per the emergency. Thus, "put through triage" is modifying patients and that is also ok.

A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room -- OK

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room -- to be - to be awkward.

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage -- good contender against A, but put through triage is placed after room, making it a dangling modifier. Further for rules intending VS rules intended in this context intended wins.

D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
Ensure - should pair is enough to eliminate it.

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
this - expressing whole idea using pronoun -- not allowed.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 63

CAT Tests
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 08:56
It is an example that tests noun+noun modifier concept. another similar examples are

1)[b]Floating in the waters of the equatorial Pacific, an array of buoys collects and transmits data on long-term
interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, [color=#ec008c]interactions
that affect global climate.

2)Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly
cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile
female workers.
[/color]

3) With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been
considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to
bottom.
. This one is a bit tricky.

A member sidhu4u has given a good approach to deal with such questions as below.
B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its
Correct answer.
Think of it like this: Europa, its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom, has long been considered far too cold to support life.
This is a type of modifier I think although I'm not sure what the construction is called.
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 08:56