Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 21:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

86% (02:05) correct 14% (01:04) wrong based on 55 sessions
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

OA....will be provided later...plz explain....
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 32

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OK.

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

Hence I go with A.
Manager
Manager

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 02:36
boeinz wrote:
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OK.

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage - OUT; misplaced 'put through triage'

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room - OUT; 'at least one nurse' not 'one nurse at least'

Hence I go with A.

A...I think is run on sentence....plz explain....as before and after comma..there are two clauses without any conjuction or semicolon
Manager
Manager

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 08:39
Can some one plz explain me why A is not run-on sentence....
Manager
Manager

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 10:11
OA...A

Can some one explain why A is not run-on
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 22:22
age wrote:
OA...A

A is a semi-run-on :) It definitely looks like a run-on but it is the best choice.
Also, if you read the last part independently, you will notice that it cannot stand on its own. If it was "rules are intended..." then it was for sure a run-on.
Manager
Manager

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 01:07
Economist wrote:
age wrote:
OA...A

A is a semi-run-on :) It definitely looks like a run-on but it is the best choice.
Also, if you read the last part independently, you will notice that it cannot stand on its own. If it was "rules are intended..." then it was for sure a run-on.

Thanks for ur reply..I eliminated option A...thinking it is clear run-on....I think I have to understand new concept :cry: ..anyway it is GPREP...question...
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 13:31
I agree with A, I think that it is the best option. However, if it were "[...], rules intending to ensure...", that would sound better for me.
Could anybody clarify when to use -ing and when to use -ed? I am always in trouble with this stuff.
Thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 20:04
Count one more for A..
Whts the official OA....?

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 68 [10] , given: 40

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
age wrote:
Can some one plz explain me why A is not run-on sentence....

A is not a run-on sentence! "rules intended ..." is not a clause, it is a modifier! If it is a clause, it should be "rules intends to/rules are intended to.."
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules [highlight](which are)[/highlight] intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

It's a resumptive modifier:
"A modifier that repeats a key word at the end of a sentence and then adds informative or descriptive details related to that word."
http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/resump ... erterm.htm

Kudo me if i'm right *winks* (I need 4 more kudos)
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 01:07
hey boeinz
Great eye ! You are a detective.

Second reason for choosing A
A) put through triage ----> Active voice
B) to be put through triage ----> I think passive voice.

Third reason for choosing A
"ensure that" is IDIOMATIC

boeinz wrote:

Hence I go with A.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 04:57
nobody is going to clarify this?
thanks.

noboru wrote:
I agree with A, I think that it is the best option. However, if it were "[...], rules intending to ensure...", that would sound better for me.
Could anybody clarify when to use -ing and when to use -ed? I am always in trouble with this stuff.
Thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 12:01
age wrote:
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

OA....will be provided later...plz explain....

Intend + to is the correct idiom hence B,D are out
ensure + that is the correct idiom hence C,E are out

hence A is the correct answer
hope this helps :) :)

WarLocK

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: The state has proposed [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:17
+1 for A.

DavidArchuleta is correct. It is not a run on sentence .

Crick
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A......

and A is not run on.....its perfect...

We are modifying entire main clause and to do it we label it as rules.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 20:12
I got this wrong too, but i guess i must remember that sentences does not always sound the best to your liking.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 20:43
+1 A

Nice questions :-)

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 11:02
'A' uses modifier that is known as absolute phrase. google it
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 12:28
A, good question, hope you upload more! :)
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 12:31
A, good question, hope you upload more! :)
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2012, 12:31