Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The state with the greatest of its population in urban

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The state with the greatest of its population in urban [#permalink] New post 22 May 2003, 03:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:34) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
The state with the greatest of its population in urban areas, if the urban areas are considered to include the suburbs, is California. The West is highly urbanized, but California is exceptional even in that region:91 percent of its population lives in urban areas. Geographically, however, California is rural: 96 percent of its land is outside urban areas.

If all of the satements above are true, which of the following must also be
true?

A. No state has a smaller fraction of its population in rural areas than California has.
The answer chose is correct.
For this answer, I think it has a bit questionable for the text in blue.
"No state" is too extreme answer.

C. In California 96 percent of the population lives on 9 percent the land.
I prefer to C, above answer.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8851 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 25 May 2003, 21:57
Expert's post
My comments are embedded in RED:

The state with the greatest of its population in urban areas, if the urban areas are considered to include the suburbs, is California. The West is highly urbanized, but California is exceptional even in that region:91 percent of its population lives in urban areas. Geographically, however, California is rural: 96 percent of its land is outside urban areas.

If all of the satements above are true, which of the following must also be
true?

A. No state has a smaller fraction of its population in rural areas than California has.
The answer chose is correct.
For this answer, I think it has a bit questionable for the text in blue.
"No state" is too extreme answer.

Yes, you are right about avoiding extremes, but the passage said that CA is EXCEPTIONAL! so it is already going extreme there. In this case, this is an elimination game - the best of the worst wins. I would not claim this one as the correct answer choice immediately, but I would not cross it out either.[/color]

C. In California 96 percent of the population lives on 9 percent the land.
I prefer to C, above answer.

This is wrong - the passage says that 91 percent lives in Urban areas and 96% of land is rural - so 91% lives on 4% - the opposite of what you picked. Actually, I just remembered a good trick about GMAT CR - I forgot it a while ago, but you brought it back - they like to kill your reasoning with numbers. If you see a number of CR or Verbal, always check it three times - almost always it was a trap for me. Here it was a trap for you.
Re: CR question   [#permalink] 25 May 2003, 21:57