Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (01:57) correct 52% (00:48) wrong based on 104 sessions
The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration have been corrected, according to the firm of consulting engineers.

A) The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration
B)The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure, leading to its deterioration
C) Leading to its deterioration, the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure
D) The defects that the Statue of Liberty had in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration
E) The defects in the supporting structure of the Statue of Liberty which led to its deterioration

I found this question on the GMATPILL, but I got it wrong.
I was between two options.
Why is the OA better than the other ones, I do not want to say which other option I considered because I do not want to spoil the question to the ones who want to try it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:03
A. Seems to have modifier issue as I feel THAT is modifying the supporting structure
B, C- Leading in these options gives feel of action continuing in the present
D-past perfect issue
E-Seems ok

Correct me if wrong...kudos if you like it :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:10
I was between D and E
D) The defects that the Statue of Liberty had in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration
E) The defects in the supporting structure of the Statue of Liberty which led to its deterioration

I tought that the use of Which in the last option was not correct, but I am still trying to figure out why is it correct
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1375 [0], given: 245

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:20
Expert's post
Is E the answer? Can‘t take it. First, which has no comma before it and which modifies statue as if the statue led to its deterioration

A) The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration ----- supporting structure that led --- touch rule error of that. Did the structure lead to its deterioration
B)The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure, leading to its deterioration…….. Correct modification, the present participle rightly modifies the entire phrasal noun before the comma
C) Leading to its deterioration, the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure …. Weirdly, this sentence has a twisted meaning. It means - the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure have been corrected, according to the firm of consulting engineers, leading to its deterioration.
D) The defects that the Statue of Liberty had in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration …. structure that led to touch rule error.
E) The defects in the supporting structure of the Statue of Liberty which led to its deterioration … wrong; already explained

The answer must be B

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:41
daagh wrote:
Is E the answer? Can‘t take it. First, which has no comma before it and which modifies statue as if the statue led to its deterioration

A) The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration ----- supporting structure that led --- touch rule error of that. Did the structure lead to its deterioration
B)The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure, leading to its deterioration…….. Correct modification, the present participle rightly modifies the entire phrasal noun before the comma
C) Leading to its deterioration, the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure …. Weirdly, this sentence has a twisted meaning. It means - the Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure have been corrected, according to the firm of consulting engineers, leading to its deterioration.
D) The defects that the Statue of Liberty had in its supporting structure that led to its deterioration …. structure that led to touch rule error.
E) The defects in the supporting structure of the Statue of Liberty which led to its deterioration … wrong; already explained

The answer must be B

Sir,

Is B not a sentence fragment.

In C, leading to its deterioration correctly modifying the statu of liberty's structure.

Please clarify. Regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:18
Faulty answers--none are correct. Please make sure you post legitimate questions, so that GMATClub users wouldn't waste valuable prep time.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:44
Its a GMAT Pill Qs (Level 600-Q017) and the question as per the source is correct. And the OA is E.

I have one doubt in this Qs. In all answer choices there is a pronoun it and two preceding nouns "Statue of liberty" & " Supporting structure". What "it" refers to in options ABDE

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:56
daagh wrote:

The answer must be B

I just found in a source that 'which' can also be used without comma (Expendable which). Here is the link http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/wh ... -that.aspx

Can anybody clarify on this???

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects SC [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 12:28
GMAT rules stipulate that a comma be placed before the relative pronoun "which" in modifying a noun or noun phrase. Thus, per GMAT rules, E is incorrect, as are the other options A,B, C,and D.

Bad question, per GMAT rules.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 459

Kudos [?]: 1782 [1] , given: 29

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am responding to a pm asking me to comment on this question.

I concur with many of the others on this page, and would say: in my estimation, the correct "conclusion" to draw is not A, B, C, D, or E, but rather that one should avoid this question source like the plague. Not all GMAT question sources are of equal caliber --- some (MGMAT, Magoosh, etc.) are excellent and as good as the OG, but some are mediocre, and some are downright bad. Caveat emptor!

Here, for free, is a Magoosh SC question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1126
After you submit an answer, the next page has a video explanation. Each of our 800+ GMAT practice questions has it's own video explanation, to accelerate your learning.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 17

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 20:27
Here is my take on the question

A, B And C - These have the possessive "Statue of Liberty's" .......which cannot be the antecedent of "its" that follow later on ....."its" should have "Statute of Liberty" as its antecedent , not the possessive "Statue of Liberty's"

D, which gets rid of the possessive, is wordy. Also it has the touch rule error for "that", which implies that "that" refers to supporting structure instead of defects. Hence D cannot be the right answer.

E, which is concise and also gets rid of the possessive is much better as compared to other 4. However, it should have a comma before which .....Having a comma before "which" will make "defects" the main subject of the sentence, and the correct antecedent of its that follows in the later half of the sentence.

However, if this question was presented in the GMAT (in the form it has been posted here), I would have still selected E, because all others are out-rightly incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 63

Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 22:58
After carefully reading the sentence, the focus is on what has been corrected.
Therefore, the true subject here is 'defects'.
This may explain why the correct answer begins the sentence with 'defects' as oppose to 'Statue of Liberty'. Using this logic, one can eliminate answer choices (A), (B), and (C).

Clearly (D) just doesn't sound right. This is mainly because 'that' is used twice.

This question is part of their frameworks called "onion layers"
Re: The Statue of Liberty's defects in its supporting structure   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2012, 22:58