Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 13:44

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The stock tips thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: The stock tips thread [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 19:44
shadowsjc wrote:
update on BP: since i started picking some up, it's given me a 19% return. not bad for a ~3-4 month period. i probably won't sell it just yet though, as i think it has room to rise further

GS on the other hand gave me a slightly positive return as late as last week, but has dipped in the red once again this week. this is probably going to be a longer term one

GJ on BP.

I didn't really trust BP so I went with RIG (Transocean Ltd) instead. I sold it after a 7% increase but it seems like I should have kept it longer. (It has gone up more than 25%)

The good news with BP is that their bond sale was a complete success today. In fact, they even sold more bonds than they initially had planned which means strong investor confidence.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Re: The stock tips thread [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 20:21
strikethree wrote:
vwjetty wrote:
GS is a sketchy company. But they government is just giving them a slap on the wrist mainly because of their international position and the 'too big to fall' policy. Not too sure how well I think of Lloyd. Dude's a sneaky sneaky man. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in all the recent financial conspiracy.

Well, he's a banker... what did you expect?

I actually shorted financials during the bear week. But, I'm not sure how long this correction will last if Bernanke is just going to keep on pouring money into the system.

true. whatever goes in the behind-the-scenes gs, we'll probably never know. i'll have to agree. that dude is pretty epic tho. i could only dream to be in shoes like his.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: The stock tips thread [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:39
Do you own any other energy sector securities?

I'm mainly in energy myself, but have REITs and Telecom as well.

strikethree wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
update on BP: since i started picking some up, it's given me a 19% return. not bad for a ~3-4 month period. i probably won't sell it just yet though, as i think it has room to rise further

GS on the other hand gave me a slightly positive return as late as last week, but has dipped in the red once again this week. this is probably going to be a longer term one

GJ on BP.

I didn't really trust BP so I went with RIG (Transocean Ltd) instead. I sold it after a 7% increase but it seems like I should have kept it longer. (It has gone up more than 25%)

The good news with BP is that their bond sale was a complete success today. In fact, they even sold more bonds than they initially had planned which means strong investor confidence.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: The stock tips thread [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 21:54
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
Do you own any other energy sector securities?

I'm mainly in energy myself, but have REITs and Telecom as well.

strikethree wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:

GJ on BP.

I'm not an expert on all the sectors so I don't pretend to be. I like looking at individual companies rather than on overall sectors. Although, I consider financials, real estate and gold to be a bit risky right now. They might go up big but with all those complicated mortgage backed securities and with the shaky real estate market, I'd just rather not dabble in these stocks. (And I consider Gold to be... well, how can you value something that really serves no purpose besides jewelry?)

Right now, I'm looking at HARBIN ELECTRIC (HRBN). There seems to be a lot of shorts on the stock but the fundamentals look good and it's near its 1 year lows. Hoping for a short squeeze. It's a Chinese company so it's tied to the Chinese auto making industry which is growing. (If you believe those Chinese government reports)

Hopefully, we can close the year off on a more positive note.
Re: The stock tips thread   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2010, 21:54