Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The subway system in New City has recently been running a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 67

The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 20:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:49) correct 60% (01:38) wrong based on 391 sessions
The subway system in New City has recently been running a severe budget deficit. Analysts have concluded that, to avoid a crisis, subway revenues must increase by 50% from the current level, beginning with the coming quarter. Subway riders are currently charged a flat fare per ride; the chairperson of New City's transit authority has concluded that a 50% increase in this fare, effective at the beginning of the coming quarter, will be sufficient to avert any crisis.

Each of the following, if true, calls into question the chairperson's conclusion EXCEPT

A Subway fares are paid with single-ride tokens that are purchased in advance and do not expire.

B On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares.

C Under New City's tax code, subway fare increases of more than 25 percent trigger reductions in the amount of tax money allocated to the subway system.

D New City's economy is adding many more jobs in suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, than in the urban areas that the subway system serves.

E Mobile phones, upon which a significant percentage of New City's workers have come to depend for essential communication while commuting, will be banned on the subway from the coming quarter onward
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Except type CR Subway [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 21:08
Archit143 wrote:
The subway system in New City has recently been running a severe budget deficit. Analysts have concluded that, to avoid a crisis, subway revenues must increase by 50% from the current level, beginning with the coming quarter. Subway riders are currently charged a flat fare per ride; the chairperson of New City's transit authority has concluded that a 50% increase in this fare, effective at the beginning of the coming quarter, will be sufficient to avert any crisis.

Each of the following, if true, calls into question the chairperson's conclusion EXCEPT

A Subway fares are paid with single-ride tokens that are purchased in advance and do not expire.

B On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares.

C Under New City's tax code, subway fare increases of more than 25 percent trigger reductions in the amount of tax money allocated to the subway system.

D New City's economy is adding many more jobs in suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, than in the urban areas that the subway system serves.

E Mobile phones, upon which a significant percentage of New City's workers have come to depend for essential communication while commuting, will be banned on the subway from the coming quarter onward

I don't get it ? hard to understand the OA .

If many more jobs are added to the suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, how will increase in ticket fares lead to an increase in revenue ?

I think it assumes that in the coming quarter suburban areas will be accessible by the subways.

Any thoughts on this ?

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 269

Re: Except type CR Subway [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 21:12
ankit0411 wrote:

If many more jobs are added to the suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, how will increase in ticket fares lead to an increase in revenue ?

I think it assumes that in the coming quarter suburban areas will be accessible by the subways.

Any thoughts on this ?

Hi Ankit

The question asks you to find one option which does not weaken the conclusion. You are mistaking that with finding one option which strengthen the question.

There is a difference between "Not weaken" and "Strengthen"

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 269

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
+1 D

It is a non-strengthen question (I am not sure if it is called by this but I would like to call it that :) )

Premise - The subway system in New City has recently been running a severe budget deficit. Analysts have concluded that, to avoid a crisis, subway revenues must increase by 50% from the current level, beginning with the coming quarter. Subway riders are currently charged a flat fare per ride

Conclusion - the chairperson of New City's transit authority has concluded that a 50% increase in this fare, effective at the beginning of the coming quarter, will be sufficient to avert any crisis.

A Subway fares are paid with single-ride tokens that are purchased in advance and do not expire. (Weakens)
B On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares. (Weakens)
C Under New City's tax code, subway fare increases of more than 25 percent trigger reductions in the amount of tax money allocated to the subway system. (Weakens)
D New City's economy is adding many more jobs in suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, than in the urban areas that the subway system serves. (No effect)
E Mobile phones, upon which a significant percentage of New City's workers have come to depend for essential communication while commuting, will be banned on the subway from the coming quarter onward (Weakens)

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Except type CR Subway [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 23:00
getgyan wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:

Any thoughts on this ?

Hi Ankit

The question asks you to find one option which does not weaken the conclusion. You are mistaking that with finding one option which strengthen the question.

There is a difference between "Not weaken" and "Strengthen"

Yea, Got that :)

I was mislead by the tag "strengthen" , but now I get the difference.

Option D doesn't really have any effect on the argument above.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 00:48
getgyan wrote:
+1 D

It is a non-strengthen question (I am not sure if it is called by this but I would like to call it that :) )

Premise - The subway system in New City has recently been running a severe budget deficit. Analysts have concluded that, to avoid a crisis, subway revenues must increase by 50% from the current level, beginning with the coming quarter. Subway riders are currently charged a flat fare per ride
Conclusion - the chairperson of New City's transit authority has concluded that a 50% increase in this fare, effective at the beginning of the coming quarter, will
be sufficient to avert any crisis.

A Subway fares are paid with single-ride tokens that are purchased in advance and do not expire. (Weakens)
B On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares. (Weakens)
C Under New City's tax code, subway fare increases of more than 25 percent trigger reductions in the amount of tax money allocated to the subway system. (Weakens)
D New City's economy is adding many more jobs in suburban areas, which are inaccessible by subway, than in the urban areas that the subway system serves. (No effect)
E Mobile phones, upon which a significant percentage of New City's workers have come to depend for essential communication while commuting, will be banned on the subway from the coming quarter onward (Weakens)

It does figure that d has no effect on the conclusion above. but can you please elaborate on how E is weakening it? i found E to be completely out of scope and thus having no effect on the conclusion in a better way than D.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 269

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
puneetgupta6 wrote:
It does figure that d has no effect on the conclusion above. but can you please elaborate on how E is weakening it? i found E to be completely out of scope and thus having no effect on the conclusion in a better way than D.

Hi Puneet

Good question. First of all, in questions like these we have to assume the options as correct and then proceed further.

In option D it states that Mobile phones, upon which a significant percentage of New City's workers have come to depend for essential communication while commuting, will be banned. If it is a major loss to the commuters, they might want to find an alternative option like bus/private vehicles to commute so that they don’t have to incur a loss. If the commuters will stop travelling via subway this will imply further loss to the system. This weakens the conclusion that the crisis will be averted.

Makes sense?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 01:44
sure does, many thanks. completely gave up on assumption on that front, my bad :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 04:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1474

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2014, 14:21
Hi,
Can someone explain option B to me?
Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 02:27
Hi, Could someone explain how option B weakens the conclusion.
I crossed off all the choices except B and D. But went with B :(
(or)
Can anyone explain whether my interpretation for eliminating choice B is correct.
On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares
Weakener : Even after increasing the bus fares from 25 to 40% in heavy traffic areas, there was a budget deficit .So increasing the fares upto 50% from original fare may/may not avert the crisis.
Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 10:25
getgyan wrote:
+1 D

Question here if I may....
If adding more jobs in areas which are inaccessible by subway, and not knowing that the population doesn't grow, can we speculate that some of the people now going to work will start going to different areas, ones that aren't accessible by subway, and thus the subway will loose some if it's commuters?
Where's the flaw in this logic?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 63

CAT Tests
The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 23:45
Hi

Choice D , mentions that new jobs will be added in suburban areas, which may increase the ridership of other means of transport. However as per the premise with the current level of ridership, the budget deficit can be overcome by increase in fare.
It ll be inaccurate to consider that the current riders in the subway(that runs in the urban areas) will stop working in the urban areas and move to the sub-urban ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 00:32
dream21 wrote:
Hi

Choice D , mentions that new jobs will be added in suburban areas, which may increase the ridership of other means of transport. However as per the premise with the current level of ridership, the budget deficit can be overcome by increase in fare.
It ll be inaccurate to consider that the current riders in the subway(that runs in the urban areas) will stop working in the urban areas and move to the sub-urban ones.

Still, there are many question marks for me here.
Why can we consider people pre-purchasing tokens (in option A) as a valid reason that will weaken the conclusion of the manager, but can't consider people changing jobs and stop using the subway?
It's stated that there is a major increase in jobs that won't be accessible by subway....
Still not getting it.....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 38

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 14:49
ronr34 wrote:
dream21 wrote:
Hi

Still, there are many question marks for me here.
Why can we consider people pre-purchasing tokens (in option A) as a valid reason that will weaken the conclusion of the manager, but can't consider people changing jobs and stop using the subway?
It's stated that there is a major increase in jobs that won't be accessible by subway....
Still not getting it.....

As @getgyan has rightly mentioned - You got to consider the given options as valid and acceptable...and then try to reason it out...If you follow that step thoroughly for all the options then the only option left that you can identify as a non-weakener is option 'D'...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 19:54
dheeraj24 wrote:
Hi, Could someone explain how option B weakens the conclusion.
I crossed off all the choices except B and D. But went with B :(
(or)
Can anyone explain whether my interpretation for eliminating choice B is correct.
On the most heavily traveled routes in New City's downtown, express bus fares range from 25 to 40 percent greater than current subway fares
Weakener : Even after increasing the bus fares from 25 to 40% in heavy traffic areas, there was a budget deficit .So increasing the fares upto 50% from original fare may/may not avert the crisis.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Dheeraj24,

I'd be happy to answer your question, and also quickly break down why D is right, and the others are wrong.

CONCLUSION: Increasing fares 50% will solve the 50% budget shortfall.

GOAL: Find 4 answers that Weaken, and find 1 that either Strengthens or does Nothing.

Weakens. This answer strongly suggests that some tokens would have already been purchased when the fare increase takes effect. Thus, the 50% fare increase would not be sufficient. Weaken.

The key issue with B is that it refers to NOW. If the SUBWAY fares go up by 50%, then the bus actually becomes a less expensive alternative, so subway riders might shift to buses. Thus, the 50% fare increase would not be enough. Weaken.

Although the fares might generate more revenue, this answer points out that other revenue would be lost. Thus the 50% fare increase would not be enough. Weaken.

The key issue here is ADDING jobs in other areas, not TAKING then from subway accessible areas. It doesn't matter what happens in other areas if it doesn't have an affect on the subway accessible areas. Therefore, this answer has ZERO effect on the proposal. Doesn’t weaken. Our right answer.

The key word here is DEPEND. These people depend on something that will soon be banned from use on subways. The GMAT is a literal exam. On the GMAT the word “depend” means that these people HAVE TO use this technology. Which in turn means that they wouldn’t be able to use the subway. That strongly suggests that subway ridership is likely to drop pretty significantly. Thus, the 50% fare increase will not be enough. Weaken.

Allen T.
EMPOWERgmat Advisor
http://www.empowergmat.com

FREE: Free Instant EMPOWERgmat Sample
http://www.empowergmat.com/free-workshop/

GMAT Score "Stuck"? SCORE BOOSTER can help you break through!
http://www.empowergmat.com/score-booster/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 19:58
maggie27 wrote:
Hi,
Can someone explain option B to me?

Hi maggie27,

Sure, I'd be happy to help. I'm copying you here on my post from just a few minutes ago as to why B is wrong:

The key issue with B is that it refers to NOW. If the SUBWAY fares go up by 50%, then the bus actually becomes a less expensive alternative, so subway riders might shift to buses. Thus, the 50% fare increase would not be enough. Weaken.

Allen T.
EMPOWERgmat Advisor
http://www.empowergmat.com

FREE: Free Instant EMPOWERgmat Sample
http://www.empowergmat.com/free-workshop/

GMAT Score "Stuck"? SCORE BOOSTER can help you break through!
http://www.empowergmat.com/score-booster/

Re: The subway system in New City has recently been running a   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2014, 19:58